Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 3:35:30 AM EDT
Considering the political climate would like to keep spare parts on hand. Which ones?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Upside is OEM parts are pretty cheap.  I'm waiting for my uncle sugar check to order some spare parts myself.  That said, most of the parts have a pretty high round count before needing replacement, assuming nothing breaks.

Springs.  Dirt cheap and last a good while, but are a wear part.  Pretty much all of them, plus an extra extra recoil spring and trigger spring set.
Pins.  Again, cheap but if they  break things kinda stop working.

That's pretty much the essentials, but I'm interested to see what the other guys say.  I'm personally new to owning a glock, but am referencing he above off of what I was told by a glock armorer I used to know.  He had something like 200k through his gen 1 G17.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Upside is OEM parts are pretty cheap.  I'm waiting for my uncle sugar check to order some spare parts myself.  That said, most of the parts have a pretty high round count before needing replacement, assuming nothing breaks.

Springs.  Dirt cheap and last a good while, but are a wear part.  Pretty much all of them, plus an extra extra recoil spring and trigger spring set.
Pins.  Again, cheap but if they  break things kinda stop working.

That's pretty much the essentials, but I'm interested to see what the other guys say.  I'm personally new to owning a glock, but am referencing he above off of what I was told by a glock armorer I used to know.  He had something like 200k through his gen 1 G17.
View Quote

Thanks, good info.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
trigger springs
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Recoil Spring Assemblies.  

Slide Stops.  

Extractors.

For pre Gen 5, any of the flat springs like slide lock springs (I've replaced more of them than anything)

Then miscellaneous springs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Just keep a spare glock....

One is none and two is one...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Firing pin, and all the springs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Literally every part aside from frame and slide. Also enough RSA's to last a lifetime. I think it cost me around $200 + RSA's to stock up about a year ago. Mostly from Glock store. A duplicate Glock should be a no brainer to boot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a large enough ammo fort or bank account to shoot enough to wear out said parts? Honestly though, a lot of good information in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for all the good advice.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#11]
At one time I was able to shoot at a sheriff's range .  Son was leo  at the time .   The main thing that they seemed to have problems with was extractors .

Kept the armorers busy .

I've wondered if it was not flaw of that time frame .

But I'd get and keep a couple of spare kits personally .  

gd
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At one time I was able to shoot at a sheriff's range .  Son was leo  at the time .   The main thing that they seemed to have problems with was extractors .

Kept the armorers busy .

gd
View Quote

Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Kept the armorers busy .

gd
View Quote

Was this around the time the Gen 4s were introduced by chance?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I only keep recoil springs and take off trigger, but I have 27 9mm glocks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know of a complete kit for sale of these parts?  Or where to assemble them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I simply own a spare Glock . They don’t ( RSA excepted) brake but very rarely. I have been shooting Glock since about1990 and the single parts replacement I have had was a chipped extractor in a gen 2 19. Still worked. I have my guns inspected by a Glock armorer at a gssf match annually and this year they did replace the rsa and firing pin spring ( was well over the limit on rsa as I have been shooting the gun about 10 years well over 1k per year and never replaced anything)
As long as you have a spare gun no worries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I simply own a spare Glock . They don’t ( RSA excepted) brake but very rarely. I have been shooting Glock since about1990 and the single parts replacement I have had was a chipped extractor in a gen 2 19. Still worked. I have my guns inspected by a Glock armorer at a gssf match annually and this year they did replace the rsa and firing pin spring ( was well over the limit on rsa as I have been shooting the gun about 10 years well over 1k per year and never replaced anything)
As long as you have a spare gun no worries.
View Quote

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a complete kit for sale of these parts?  Or where to assemble them.
View Quote

I have a few of these: https://www.glockstore.com/Survival-Parts-Kit-for-Glocks?quantity=1&custcol7=2&custcol8=4
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep a spare set of pins, a spare extractor and a spare recoil spring.

Those are the main things to keep and they don’t cost a lot to get. Probably $50 for everything.

I’m anal so I also keep a spare end plate, plunger, extractor plunder and spring, trigger housing, connector, firing pin spring and the little plastic things around the firing pin.
Really the only spare thing I don’t have is a spare firing pin and a spare barrel. But neither really “break” and those are the two more expensive things.
That’s probably severe overkill on the parts, but with the first group you will be set.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I keep a spare set of pins, a spare extractor and a spare recoil spring.

Those are the main things to keep and they don’t cost a lot to get. Probably $50 for everything.

I’m anal so I also keep a spare end plate, plunger, extractor plunder and spring, trigger housing, connector, firing pin spring and the little plastic things around the firing pin.
Really the only spare thing I don’t have is a spare firing pin and a spare barrel. But neither really “break” and those are the two more expensive things.
That’s probably severe overkill on the parts, but with the first group you will be set.
View Quote

Great list thank you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#22]

I got all excited, until I found that they didn't offer Gen 2 kits.  Does anyone have kits like these for earlier production guns?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I got all excited, until I found that they didn't offer Gen 2 kits.  Does anyone have kits like these for earlier production guns?
View Quote

All of the parts that are in the Gen3 kits are Gen2 compatible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to keep spare parts until I realized that I've never broken anything.

I have a friend that is a master armorer at Glock and based on the opinion he shared with me I now change the RSA, firing pin spring, and trigger spring at 10,000 rounds on my Gen 4 17's. I used to change them at 5,000. It's also not a bad idea to keep a spare firing pin and slide lock spring. When you see reports of things breaking on pre-Gen 5 guns it's usually the trigger spring, firing pin tip, or slide lock spring. I don't really have any info on Gen 5 guns, although I did read about a guy that has experienced breaking the little metal piece that connects the trigger spring to the cruciform twice at around 11,000 rounds.

This is the Arfcom solution, though.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used to keep spare parts until I realized that I've never broken anything.

I have a friend that is a master armorer at Glock and based on the opinion he shared with me I now change the RSA, firing pin spring, and trigger spring at 10,000 rounds on my Gen 4 17's. I used to change them at 5,000. It's also not a bad idea to keep a spare firing pin and slide lock spring. When you see reports of things breaking on pre-Gen 5 guns it's usually the trigger spring, firing pin tip, or slide lock spring. I don't really have any info on Gen 5 guns, although I did read about a guy that has experienced breaking the little metal piece that connects the trigger spring to the cruciform twice at around 11,000 rounds.

This is the Arfcom solution, though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG_3516_JPG-1788994.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Other glocks, but I'm a weird one.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]

are these OEM parts?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

are these OEM parts?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

are these OEM parts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No Gen5 kits.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top