Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2020 6:19:59 PM EDT
I'd like to shoot the first outdoor GSSF match of the year that happens to be one street over from where I live.

Can you shoot "Amateur Civilian" and "Amateur Unlimited"?

For amateur civilian, I'd like to use a G17 Gen 5. The frame and slide has been Cerakoted, Ameriglo sights, and a Glock OEM ' - ' connector. Would that fly?

For unlimited, I have a G34 Gen 3 that is nicely modded (KKM barrel, ISMI recoil spring, magwell, mag release, Brownell's slide, ZEV trigger, RMR)

I do plan on reading through the entire GSSF packet / instructions...but figured I'd get some intel here first to see if I'd even qualify. I don't own a complete factory Glock. Something has either been cerakoted, stippled, or polished on everything except my G43X....and I really don't want to use the G43 for a match.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
To the best of my memory, the finish doesn't matter.  

Sights and factory connectors are GTG.  

Have fun.    

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You can enter as many categories as you have guns that fit the rules. Finish changes like on your 17 are fine as long as you did not do any sort of stipple job on it. The rules are pretty clear, with the exception of sights no aftermarket parts allowed.
The modified gun could be shot in unlimited only of course.
You can also shoot the 17 in competition class
I usually just take my 26 and shoot it in master stock ( I have been in master class for a number of years now) sub compact and competition
I also take my 42 and shoot pocket
It is an easy match to shoot. ( no reloads under the clock, no drawing from holster, no movement) and you get the chance to win a free gun ( by random draw, placing first in a category, or if this is your first match signing in as a new shooter)
They are fun.
My advice, don’t try to shoot real fast. This is not uspsa where very fast shooting with less than centered hits can still result in a good score.
I tell people to shoot it like a bullseye match. Not super slow mind you, but shots in the c zone add a second to your time the d zone 3 and misses 10. Taking a couple extra seconds per string to keep yourself down zero will get you farther ahead than than going fast and throwing a d or a miss.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can enter as many categories as you have guns that fit the rules. Finish changes like on your 17 are fine as long as you did not do any sort of stipple job on it. The rules are pretty clear, with the exception of sights no aftermarket parts allowed.
The modified gun could be shot in unlimited only of course.
You can also shoot the 17 in competition class
I usually just take my 26 and shoot it in master stock ( I have been in master class for a number of years now) sub compact and competition
I also take my 42 and shoot pocket
It is an easy match to shoot. ( no reloads under the clock, no drawing from holster, no movement) and you get the chance to win a free gun ( by random draw, placing first in a category, or if this is your first match signing in as a new shooter)
They are fun.
My advice, don’t try to shoot real fast. This is not uspsa where very fast shooting with less than centered hits can still result in a good score.
I tell people to shoot it like a bullseye match. Not super slow mind you, but shots in the c zone add a second to your time the d zone 3 and misses 10. Taking a couple extra seconds per string to keep yourself down zero will get you farther ahead than than going fast and throwing a d or a miss.
View Quote

Great info thanks. I was under the impression there are no holster draws or mag holsters needed?

If there are mag changes, do you have to keep them on the stand / shooting table or on your person?

Sorry if dumb question.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd like to shoot the first outdoor GSSF match of the year that happens to be one street over from where I live.

Can you shoot "Amateur Civilian" and "Amateur Unlimited"? YES

For amateur civilian, I'd like to use a G17 Gen 5. The frame and slide has been Cerakoted, Ameriglo sights, and a Glock OEM ' - ' connector. Would that fly? YES

For unlimited, I have a G34 Gen 3 that is nicely modded (KKM barrel, ISMI recoil spring, magwell, mag release, Brownell's slide, ZEV trigger, RMR)

I do plan on reading through the entire GSSF packet / instructions...but figured I'd get some intel here first to see if I'd even qualify. I don't own a complete factory Glock. Something has either been cerakoted, stippled, or polished on everything except my G43X....and I really don't want to use the G43 for a match.
View Quote

Rules are here - http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/GSSF_Current_Rules.pdf
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Great info thanks. I was under the impression there are no holster draws or mag holsters needed?

If there are mag changes, do you have to keep them on the stand / shooting table or on your person?

Sorry if dumb question.
View Quote

Typically the mags are next to you on table or Drum.

I assume you are going to the Gonzales Match?

You need 4 mags for each gun so you do not have to load between strings.

There is also going to be a MOS division this year. So 2 divisions will allow optics. Sign up for MOS is on the GGSM registration sheet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Typically the mags are next to you on table or Drum.

I assume you are going to the Gonzales Match?

You need 4 mags for each gun so you do not have to load between strings.

There is also going to be a MOS division this year. So 2 divisions will allow optics. Sign up for MOS is on the GGSM registration sheet.
View Quote

Yep, Gonzales. Thanks for the good info.

I actually don’t have a factory Glock MOS. My 34 has a milled slide.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Have not shot one in the last 10 years.  Shot a ton of these before that.

IIRC, they used the NRA D1 target, and you had to hit the A ring for full score (full score is what you want).

It is 8”.

Buy yourself a package of 8” paper plates at Walmart.   Practice on those.  Set them up at the distances posted in the rules linked above (or as close as you can).

This will give you some idea of how fast YOU can realistically makes those hits.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have not shot one in the last 10 years.  Shot a ton of these before that.

IIRC, they used the NRA D1 target, and you had to hit the A ring for full score (full score is what you want).

It is 8”.

View Quote

The A/B ring (8 inches) is 0 points down.

The C ring (12 inches) is -1 points down.

The D Region (anywhere else on target) is -3.

A Mike (complete miss of target) is -10.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a blast at my first match. Nerves were a huge factor for me but each run on Glock M and 5 To Glock saw noticeable improvements on time. I had no misses.

Glock the plates, had 3 great runs (2 in the mid 4 second range). Then totally effed up the forth run on the first plate that I had to come back to.

Overall I came in 7th?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Had a blast at my first match. Nerves were a huge factor for me but each run on Glock M and 5 To Glock saw noticeable improvements on time. I had no misses.

Glock the plates, had 3 great runs (2 in the mid 4 second range). Then totally effed up the forth run on the first plate that I had to come back to.

Overall I came in 7th?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/311137/78579685-35DD-42B6-AF3B-EECD35D1ABA3_jpe-1784972.JPG
View Quote

80 is a good run for first time. As you can see hits outside A/B add up fast. I take 90% or more of my penalties at the furthest two targets of 5 To Glock.

Matches are fun and they are addictive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I need to try one.

Im assuming with my Kagwerks slide releases would put my 19MOS and 17MOS into their unlimited class.

Need to check their schedule and see who has the closest one to eastern Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I looked at the rules and could not find the answer conclusively.  Are Glock factory minus 3.5 lb connectors legal in the stock divisions?  The only thing I find in the rules is the following:  

Connectors (modified/aftermarket) are Non-Compliant Modifications in the “Stock” Divisions.  

So since the factory minus 3.5 lb connector is not aftermarket and not modified, I am thinking it would be legal for stock divisions.  But would like to hear from someone who knows for sure.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock factory parts including a minus connector are fine. The rules are stringent to no aftermarket stuff except sights.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Any Glock MFG connector is legal even if not factory installed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The Glock that I train the most with is my G34 that is heavily modified....pretty much everything that you can do to a Glock to make it more competitive. But I didn't feel like shooting with Masters for my first match.

So I took my G17.5 - It has a factory minus connector, all internals are polished and it has Ameriglo FBI sights. No issues.

Looking at my times closely and in which order I shot the courses... M, 5, and plates...I really feel like I could have moved up a few places if I could have shaken off the nerves a little better, or even shot them a second round. I'm hooked now. Just don't feel good about my ammo situation
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a 17 as in your example enter am guardian or civilian ( whichever is most appropriate to you -ie if you qualify to shoot in guardian class it tends to give you a bit better chance to finish higher or win)
Also enter competition and / or masterstock.
As to shoot the masterstock or competition strings first, then the other strings second. You will shake off the jitters and get more relaxed and comfortable with the course of fire, and ( my experience anyway) shoot the second entry better than the first
I am a ( just barely) master class shooter and generally enter running my 26 in master stock competition and subcompact. I am most competitive compared to others scored in subcompact, so shoot that category last. Consistently my string size in sub are better than the other 2.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have a 17 as in your example enter am guardian or civilian ( whichever is most appropriate to you -ie if you qualify to shoot in guardian class it tends to give you a bit better chance to finish higher or win)
Also enter competition and / or masterstock.
As to shoot the masterstock or competition strings first, then the other strings second. You will shake off the jitters and get more relaxed and comfortable with the course of fire, and ( my experience anyway) shoot the second entry better than the first
I am a ( just barely) master class shooter and generally enter running my 26 in master stock competition and subcompact. I am most competitive compared to others scored in subcompact, so shoot that category last. Consistently my string size in sub are better than the other 2.
View Quote

Amateurs are throwing money away entering MasterStock.

Shoot Civ, Competition. Shoot Guardian over Civ if you qualify. Those have separate prize structures. Shooting your strongest last is a common strategy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top