Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:14:47 AM EDT
just wondering if all new production guns have them?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]

My understanding on the ILS is it's like adjustable sights, an option...  I just purchased a G19 and a G34, both with born on dates from May of this year without the ILS...

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an option not worth paying for in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to see the "ILS" on any Glocks here out west. But I guess some states require an Internal Lock Sytem. So I would just check around. I think most don't have them so it won't be an issue.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's my understanding that you have to ask for the lock...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just wondering if all new production guns have them?

Bought my 2nd G19 brand new first week in July and it did NOT have one in it. Like the above said I think you have to specify it if you want it.

I'm sure no LEO has them; after all, if they were mandatory for us mere sheep LEs would of course be exempt...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm sure no LEO has them; after all, if they were mandatory for us mere sheep LEs would of course be exempt...

What does that even have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because anytime we're stuck with a safety device of dubious need cops are always exempt from the requirement...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a new Glock 19 this morning. No ILS...thankfully.

ETA: However, there was a seperate cable lock included in the case.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The cable lock is always included but the internal one is optional. I hate locks, I got a drawer full of them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 ^^^

On the note of cable locks that come with the Glock...

The thing was a cheap POS, I was looking at the key that came with it and the depth of the cuts were all the same except the last one, which was just SLIGHTLY off. Anyone could easily stick a straight paper clip into it and unlock it, lol.

I have no idea if they're all like that (most likely a certain %) or I just got a bad one... Not that there are good gun locks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because anytime we're stuck with a safety device of dubious need cops are always exempt from the requirement...

Name an example of a safety device on a gun you're mandated to use by a law that excempts law enforcement.  Just to complete the argument...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I just picked mine up today with no ILS.  Though it has a loaded chamber indicator for which I don't care much.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just picked mine up today with no ILS.  It has a loaded chamber indicator that I don't care much for though.

Pics?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Pics?

From glockfaq.com

http://glockfaq.com/images/pics/indicator.jpg
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
.....it has a loaded chamber indicator for which I don't care much.

For about $20 you can change out the "LCI" to the older standard extractor from Lone Wolf. It's very easy to do.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For about $20 you can change out the "LCI" to the older standard extractor from Lone Wolf. It's very easy to do.  

Is there any advantage to the original extractor? Mine also has the LCI extractor on it. Unless there isn't any performance difference I could care less. Just wanted to check and make sure.

The lock that came with my Glock is also a POS. Very cheap. It will probably be used for target practice
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Name an example of a safety device on a gun you're mandated to use by a law that excempts law enforcement.  Just to complete the argument...

I would assume that upper management would see any new safety device as a way to protect their department from accidents or lawsuits and, based on that logic, saddle their officers with crappy safety features that Joe civilian won't have to deal with simply because he has a choice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is there any advantage to the original extractor? Mine also has the LCI extractor on it. Unless there isn't any performance difference I could care less. Just wanted to check and make sure.

Nope, they both work the same.

Insert loaded mag,

Cycle slide,

Point in safe direction,

Pull trigger,

BANG!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Just because it's there(Locking System) don't mean you have to use it.  If you don't use it you may not even remeber it's there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just because it's there(Locking System) don't mean you have to use it.  If you don't use it you may not even remeber it's there.

I'm of the mindset that something like ILS is just another thing to malfunction.  Yeah, I'm sure the manufacturer has tested their ILS system and is "100% sure" that it won't accidentally "lock", or worse off BREAK and cause the firearm to be non-functional.  

I don't care.  When I got my Springfield Milspec home, the FIRST thing I did was order a new mainspring housing, mainspring, cap, etc.  Got that ILS thing right out of there, and now I don't have to worry about it.  

IMHO, manufacturers are offering the ILS system for states that either already do, or will soon require it for new handguns (Maryland, I think does?).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked a G26 recently.  No ILS.

coburn
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lock that came with my Glock is also a POS. Very cheap. It will probably be used for target practice

I'm a fan of the new loaded chamber indicators now that I've had one for a little while on a new G34.  Prior to the LCI extractor, I would routinely verify that I really had a round in the chamber before I holstered the gun to carry, by cracking the slide back just barely enough to see the jacket of the chambered round.  Now I can do that by just feeling the LCI extractor with my finger.  I still manually check for an empty chamber before considering the gun safe though - so the LCI is really only useful for verifying hotness to me, not verifying safety/emptiness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top