Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 7:08:41 PM EDT
New to me and just my luck lately.
I have a brand new G19.4 that will often stop just short of going fully into battery until I let the trigger reset. It does not malfunction but this is odd and concerning. I can recreate the issue by letting the slide go forward slowly with the trigger depressed.

The barrel fit is good with no hangups.
The slide to frame fit is good.
I swapped in another trigger group and it does the same thing.

HELP PLEASE
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the striker safety. If that's ducking it could cause this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, striker safety plunger would be my first thought.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I can do this with most my Glocks if I ride the slide home.  My G43 has always done this but if I left the spring return the slide home it does not.

None issue let the spring do the work of returning the slide like the pistol is designed to do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the recoil spring test.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can recreate the issue by letting the slide go forward slowly with the trigger depressed.
View Quote
I don't understand why you would do this and think it is an issue.  How does it shoot?  David
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't understand why you would do this and think it is an issue.  How does it shoot?  David
View Quote
Yep. I've got a brand new G19 Gen 4 that's never been fired. It has never crossed my mind to try this, but I just did. OP has no problem...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I may not have been clear, sorry. It does this while Im shooting. I only mentioned that I can recreate it. During a string of fire it feels very awkward have the slide finish going into battery when I let the trigger reset. My 6 other Glocks do not do this. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it factory new or “upgraded”?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Factory unfired until Friday.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I may not have been clear, sorry. It does this while Im shooting. I only mentioned that I can recreate it. During a string of fire it feels very awkward have the slide finish going into battery when I let the trigger reset. My 6 other Glocks do not do this. Thanks all.
View Quote
Probably an RSA issue.  If you have another RSA laying around, try swapping it into the gun and see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Check the firing pin safety spring to see if its binding up...
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I pulled the slide apart and everything seems to function normally. The firing pin safety moves freely. I will order a new RSA. Have you ever heard of a brand new one being defective?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I pulled the slide apart and everything seems to function normally. The firing pin safety moves freely. I will order a new RSA. Have you ever heard of a brand new one being defective?
View Quote
Nope, but if your's is mine is too. I haven't shot this one yet. It may be a case of needing a hundred or more rnds and a good cleaning to get it into shape.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's always possible to have something out of spec, even if it is brand new.

Skip to 1:20 in this video.  Is this what yours is doing?

https://youtu.be/nM4DSF8bYC0
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
My barely fired Glock 21 does this with the can on.  It runs fine without it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#16]
MrFusion, that is exactly what mine does. What on earth is it.  Seems like ithere would be a recall or something if multiple people are having the same issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Give it a few hundred rounds and check to see if it continues.

I had this issue with a used Glock 26. The issue didn't appear until I swapped out the old/used trigger bar for a new one; both OEM. My guess was that it was an issue of break-in; the bump on the trigger bar was rubbing on the slide cam and needed to be broken in a bit and mated.

I can't say if shooting it more would fix the issue because I didn't thoroughly test it before switching back to the old trigger bar, but assessing it after only 50 - 100 rounds, it appeared to be helping.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had it happen before. It doesn't affect functioning and it goes away as the pistol wears in. I wanna say my gen5 G19 did it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Firing pin safety plunger is sticking or bad RSA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The pistol is probably just tight and needs worn together.  Buy some ammo and go shoot it.  It really is a non issue.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Make sure that the firing pin safety spring is seated correctly and is not hanging up on the plunger.

It could also be a trigger bar that is slightly curved and causing drag on the slide.  This happened with my G43
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Having the same issue with mine, bought a brand new gen 4 19, and it is doing the same exact thing as the video, not sure if it is an issue or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Having the same issue with mine, bought a brand new gen 4 19, and it is doing the same exact thing as the video, not sure if it is an issue or not.
View Quote
It is not an issue.... Shoot the pistol more and it will loosen up the locking block and barrel lugs while the spring tensions loosen.  After you get some miles on the pistol it will feel like the pistol is smoother.  The pistol is a bit tight from the factory and needs a chance for all the parts to wear together.  My G43 did it from day one but after using the pistol the parts wore together and now the pistol feels like it is lubed with butter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#24]
What did Glock say?
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I may be getting close.  The pistol does it almost every time when I hand cycle an A-zoom snap cap by pulling the slide back far enough to reset the trigger and letting go. It has to be either the extractor, breach, or chamber slowing it down by my guess?  What say you????

By the time I had a chance to call Glock on the East coast today they were closed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Just shoot it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought they all did this when new. Just keep shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I may be getting close.  The pistol does it almost every time when I hand cycle an A-zoom snap cap by pulling the slide back far enough to reset the trigger and letting go. It has to be either the extractor, breach, or chamber slowing it down by my guess?  What say you????

By the time I had a chance to call Glock on the East coast today they were closed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Like I said in my previous post it ultimately is a combination of things...  The barrel lugs working with the locking block, spring tensions, and trigger group are tight right now once they wear together the pistol will smooth out.

Quoted:
Just shoot it!
Quoted:
I thought they all did this when new. Just keep shooting it.
They do and shooting is the fix which since it is really a none issue not really a fix more like break-in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I put together an aftermarket slide and it would do the same thing.  I figured it just needed breaking in.  I finally stripped the slide and found the safety plunger spring had fallen out while installing the plunger.  Spring was down in the hole on its side.  After reinstalling it properly, it's been fine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
After lots of dry fire practice, slide manipulation and a heavy dose of oil and grease last night I just put 200 more rounds through it.

It happened very little this time.  Total round count is probably 400 to 500 rounds.

I called Glock and the gentleman told me he has heard about this before and a new recoil spring is the fix 99% of the time. He is sending me a new one.

After today I have no doubt that shooting it a couple more times would fix it completely.  You all have been great and I hope this helps others. I will report back after I get the new spring.

It still fails the armorer recoil spring test.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After lots of dry fire practice, slide manipulation and a heavy dose of oil and grease last night I just put 200 more rounds through it.

It happened very little this time.  Total round count is probably 400 to 500 rounds.

I called Glock and the gentleman told me he has heard about this before and a new recoil spring is the fix 99% of the time. He is sending me a new one.

After today I have no doubt that shooting it a couple more times would fix it completely.  You all have been great and I hope this helps others. I will report back after I get the new spring.

It still fails the armorer recoil spring test.
View Quote
A lot of times new Glocks will fail it but after shooting it they loosen and smooth out with the same RSA will pass.  The barrel lugs will polish the contact points on the locking block, the striker block where it interacts with the trigger bar will polish itself together, the striker and trigger bar will polish contacting surfaces, and springs loosen up.  Lubing will definitely help but use is going to help most of all.  My G19 when I got it was brand new mine would do it out of the box but the first range visit I squeezed off over 500 rounds new gun excitement I guess I just could not put it down because it was new.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I received and installed my new recoil spring assembly from Glock. It did not have an impact on the issue I described.   I have approximately  800 rounds through it and it is now rare  that the slide goes forward when I reset the trigger while shooting. It still does not pass the recoil spring test although it seems to be very reliable so far.
I have tested a handful of new G19’s recently and none had this issue. Im not going to worry about it as long as it remains reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top