Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2010 12:36:46 PM EDT
I am looking for a better way to carry a spare magazine.  I am looking for the thinnest, most body hugging, close riding magazine carrier out there.

I currently use a mag carrier from Com-Tac, but I don't like how far it sticks out.  It prints like a mother and slides around my belt.  Any suggestions for something more concealable?  

FWIW I carry a Glock 27 in a Galco summer comfort holster with a full size 15 round reload on my weak side.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a Glock 17 and use the Glock plastic magazine carrier. The fit closer to the body and hold up pretty well. Also they are cheap
http://www.opticsplanet.net/glock-magazine-pouch.html
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
While I think their holsters suck, Fobus paddle mounted magazine carriers are pretty damn good at snugging right up to the body.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My normal recommendation based on what I've been carrying and am happy with lately. Rides very tight and the price is right. Matter of fact, this may be uncomfortable if you have love-handles.

kytex
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My normal recommendation based on what I've been carrying and am happy with lately. Rides very tight and the price is right. Matter of fact, this may be uncomfortable if you have love-handles.

kytex

That is a good price, I HAVE to at least give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I bought one on a test basis and if I hated it, I wasn't out a bunch of money. But, I've been pleasantly surprised and have bought another mag pouch and one of the 6P carriers.

Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool I will have to try the KYTEX . A added bonus is that they are made in Texas
Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a little bit better of a picture of one to give you an idea at the thickness of the kydex and the belt mounting.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I dig the raven mag carrier with the pocket tabs....  It comes with an OWB belt mount that's good too but you're not going to find a more concealable position for your mags than in a pocket.  The mag carrier keeps lint, coins, etc. out of the mag.  VERY important IMHO...

Found this image on the Internet...

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Raven is by far the lowest-profile mag pouch I've found yet.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the $8 GLOCK pouch. I prefer them to my $30-50 pouches.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Jay

I hear very good things about RC, I just wish the lead time for RC gear would come back down to earth.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a little bit better of a picture of one to give you an idea at the thickness of the kydex and the belt mounting.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/acmax2k/EE035-1.jpg

I know they're designed to be worn OWB but would it be possible and comfortable to use it IWB?

ETA: I emailed Brian at Kytex to see if he could make me a combo mag/light carrier for my M&P9c and 6P. He responded very quickly, thoroughly, and said he could have it shipped by Monday. Hopefully it'll be a $33 well-spent
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am looking for a better way to carry a spare magazine.  I am looking for the thinnest, most body hugging, close riding magazine carrier out there.

I currently use a mag carrier from Com-Tac, but I don't like how far it sticks out.  It prints like a mother and slides around my belt.  Any suggestions for something more concealable?  

FWIW I carry a Glock 27 in a Galco summer comfort holster with a full size 15 round reload on my weak side.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=60164

Single stack model, but there's also a oouble-stack.   I've only tried the single.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/acmax2k/EE035-1.jpg

I know they're designed to be worn OWB but would it be possible and comfortable to use it IWB?

ETA: I emailed Brian at Kytex to see if he could make me a combo mag/light carrier for my M&P9c and 6P. He responded very quickly, thoroughly, and said he could have it shipped by Monday. Hopefully it'll be a $33 well-spent

He's shipped super quick on my couple of orders. Hope it works out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a CompTac mag holder and know exactaly what you are talking about. I have been useing a Raven Concielment one instead for a while now for that very reason. it does a much better job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a CompTac mag holder and know exactaly what you are talking about. I have been useing a Raven Concielment one instead for a while now for that very reason. it does a much better job.

I hated the Comp-Tac one.  My shirt always caught on the bottom when trying to reload.

Jay
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Another vote for the $8 GLOCK pouch. I prefer them to my $30-50 pouches.

This.

The Glock pouch is the lowest-profile pouch I've found.  You can't beat it - especially for $8.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hated the Comp-Tac one.  My shirt always caught on the bottom when trying to reload.

Jay

Yeah.  The Comp-Tac mag carrier just doesn't work for me.  It's a shame because it's quality stuff too.  

I'm hoping this KYTEX product will be a solid choice.  Should get it soon, and I will update this thread with my opinion  .

Edit: If the Kytex carrier doesn't meet my requirements, I will be trying a raven or ntac magazine carrier.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Milt Sparks mag holder.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Kytex mag carrier today.  At first, I was skeptical upon opening the package because it isn't much to look at.  But once I inserted a magazine and put it on, I saw that it is form follows function.  It works well, and Ill decide this weekend after wearing around if it is right for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

kytex

That is a good price, I HAVE to at least give it a shot.

Those look good.  But do they have a snug, tight fit on a 1.5" belt since they fit "up to" 1.75 inches?

I wonder how they compare with:
http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_Pistol_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.103.htm
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
No issues with mine and I wear with a 1.5 inch Wilderness Instructor Belt. Of course I also wear my reload weak side right at 9 o'clock so the belt has a good amount of pressure on the pouch there also. The SKD ones look very similar. The single mag unit is strictly one piece and mag retention is solely by friction. I think the retention is good; I can put a loaded mag in the pouch and turn it upside down and shake several times and it doesnt work itself loose. (it will eventually but I'm not looking to jump out of a plane with this either)

SightOnTarget ordered a combo mag/light pouch which I'm curious to get a review of as its a 2 piece design joined by rivets. I'd like to know if that adds alot of "thickness" to the pouch, how it rides, comfort, etc.

ETA some pics I took this morning before heading out to give a better idea; Please no comments about love-handles or my lack of an ass - I am already well aware of these

Here's my EDC handgun, G19:

Here's the Kytex single mag pouch sitting weakside at 9 o'clock. 1.5 inch Wilderness Instructor 5 Stitch Belt. (pic taken in mirror so it looks like its strongside)

This shot shows how snug the carrier rides on me. Its in contact with my skin; there is no "stand off" between the pouch and me.

Also note the gap that is left between the back of the carrier that can accommodate up to a 1.75 inch belt and my 1.5 belt. Where I have this positioned, there is no slack or bounce in the pouch when I draw the magazine out. If I move the carrier rearward to 8 or forward to 10, there is a little slop, but its tolerable. I think it works best here because the belt just has a good firm pressure point on it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Before (Comp-Tac)

After (Kytex)

I'm very happy with this magazine carrier from Kytex.  It sits low, and is snug up against my body.  Its very comfortable and retrieval of the magazine is easy.  You can't beat the price either!

I also got a rifle mag carrier
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SightOnTarget ordered a combo mag/light pouch which I'm curious to get a review of as its a 2 piece design joined by rivets. I'd like to know if that adds alot of "thickness" to the pouch, how it rides, comfort, etc.

Did not.  

I only ordered a single mag pouch and a single rifle mag pouch.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not.  

My bad. I thought you ordered a combo pouch for some reason.

Anyway, glad it worked for you. I have been thinking about getting one of the rifle mag pouches also. I'll have to put it on my shopping list.

ETA - Sorry, it was another in this thread who ordered the combo pouch. I knew I wasn't going crazy....

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Jay

+1

The wait is worth the product.  I waited 2 months for my order to hit the door step, but they make the best product I've seen to date.

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the Fobus paddle single pouch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did not.  

My bad. I thought you ordered a combo pouch for some reason.

Anyway, glad it worked for you. I have been thinking about getting one of the rifle mag pouches also. I'll have to put it on my shopping list.

ETA - Sorry, it was another in this thread who ordered the combo pouch. I knew I wasn't going crazy....

That was me who ordered the mag/light carrier combo. I was out of town but returned yesterday to my mag/light carrier waiting for me. It was packed simply but well. The unit is very simple with no bulk. The individual mag pouch and light holder are attached to the main piece with two black rivets each. The main piece is actually curved slightly to fit the light better and keep it from sticking out too much, very nice touch most may overlook! The only negative I can find with the combo is that if using a 6P the knurling on its body grabs the kydex and creates an extra tight fit but thankfully I prefer to carry my G2 anyway. Both the light and mag are held tight enough that I can't work them loose by jumping around or by vigorously shaking the carrier upside-down but it is easy to remove when you need one of the items. The carrier is kept very close to the body and works well on my 1.25" belt. I don't think it would be a good idea to wear it IWB, but that is like most carriers. I have a small build so I don't think I can conceal it too well with my normal dress (khaki shorts or jeans and a medium T-shirt). However with a button up shirt or when I wear a jacket in the fall and winter it'll be perfect.

I'm very happy with the carrier and it was well worth the $33. Brian at Kytex gets two thumbs up!

A few pics, sorry they're not the greatest but the best I could get by myself

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I knew someone here got a combo pouch

I have a 6P/G2 carrier (just the light carrier, not a combo pouch) and my criticism with the 6P is the same as yours. Every time I insert or draw the light in the carrier the checkering in the aluminum actually machines the inside of the pouch a little bit. Its actually to the point that its getting a little easier since the inside of the kydex has been grooved several times.

But, like yours, my G2 goes in and out without a hitch but is held with excellent retention.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang it, I need to stop reading threads like this. You guys just sold me on a double mag carrier for my 1911 from Kytex...
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dang it, I need to stop reading threads like this. You guys just sold me on a double mag carrier for my 1911 from Kytex...

That was kind of the intent. I spent so much time looking for a decent combo carrier but could never find one that I really liked and the Kytex is half the price I was prepared to pay!

FYI: For you guys who carry something other than a Glock or 1911, just email Brian and ask if he can make you one for your gun... it can't hurt to ask. Mine is for an M&P9c and only took him a weekend to make.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was kind of the intent. I spent so much time looking for a decent combo carrier but could never find one that I really liked and the Kytex is half the price I was prepared to pay!

FYI: For you guys who carry something other than a Glock or 1911, just email Brian and ask if he can make you one for your gun... it can't hurt to ask. Mine is for an M&P9c and only took him a weekend to make.

Kytex makes good stuff.  I have been very happy with mine.  Going on a week or so strong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I know the 6P carrier sleeve fits the metal body lights a little snug due to the raised knurling (does on my personal one as well), but any looser a fit and a G2 light would slip out too easily. I also wanted to let everyone know I now have carriers available for the XD-m 9/40, XD9/40, M&P 9/40, M&P 45, Beretta/Taurus 92F, Browning Hi-Power 9/40 and H&K USP 45, available in either singles or double carriers. I'm taking photos of these new products over the coming week to add to my web site. If you don't see something you need, please feel free to ask. I've just received confirmation that my G19 carrier fits a H&K P2000 mag perfectly, so I'll be adding that to the site as well.

Thanks again.
Brian

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I know the 6P carrier sleeve fits the metal body lights a little snug due to the raised knurling (does on my personal one as well), but any looser a fit and a G2 light would slip out too easily. I also wanted to let everyone know I now have carriers available for the XD-m 9/40, XD9/40, M&P 9/40, M&P 45, Beretta/Taurus 92F, Browning Hi-Power 9/40 and H&K USP 45, available in either singles or double carriers. I'm taking photos of these new products over the coming week to add to my web site. If you don't see something you need, please feel free to ask. I've just received confirmation that my G19 carrier fits a H&K P2000 mag perfectly, so I'll be adding that to the site as well.

Thanks again.
Brian

Brian,

Have you ever thought of making kydex holsters?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, I just completed construction of a forming press to hot-mold material around blue gun molds for a Glock and 1911 belt holster. Right now, I'm trying to decide what is most important features in a reliable, simple, close-fitting holster:
1. Competitive cost (I'm planing for under $50)
2. Belt and paddle versions (in my design the holster and the mount are separate pieces and use several screws to mate together). I'm also planning for multiple holes for height/cant options.
3. One piece holster design with lowered front for easier draws
4. Tension screw(s) for adjustment

Any other features you guys look for in a belt holster?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#36]
For me to buy a kydex OWB holster (I don't own one yet) it would need to have these features:

-Close riding, body hugging.
-A good belt attachment system.  No Tek-locks, no paddles, Safariland's attachments suck, Blade-techs SRB attachment is OK... but make it better than that.  Make it fixed and non adjustable.  I wear 1.5 inch belts, whether dress or tactical, It will never be larger than 1.5 inches.  Adjustable cant would be a nice feature though, but not required because I wear an OWB at 3 o clock with a neutral cant.
-Make it kydex (obviously), make it solid, make it bullet proof.
-Mid-ride
-Adjustable tension.  I like it tight. (that's what she said)

I like your prices, and feel you will do very well because you can offer affordable, quality gear.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, I just completed construction of a forming press to hot-mold material around blue gun molds for a Glock and 1911 belt holster. Right now, I'm trying to decide what is most important features in a reliable, simple, close-fitting holster:
2. Belt and paddle versions (in my design the holster and the mount are separate pieces and use several screws to mate together). I'm also planning for multiple holes for height/cant options.

Very cool. I think you're off to a great start. Firstly, I either IWB or pocket carry my CCWs. The weather down here is simply not conducive to wearing outer garments for the majority of the year, so those are the right CCW choices that work for me.

So, an OWB holster would find its role with me in general rangework, the local 3-gun match, zombie apocalyptica, etc. As such, I like a simple, functional design that offers a good degree of retention, but is conducive to a fast presentation. 3 o'clock, high ride, zero cant, with a grooved front sight channel molded into the material and a relief cut in the front of the holster to help clear the slide faster. I personally would prefer an option of mounting the holster directly to my belt via integral belt loops. Tek locks and the like are OK for mag pouches, but I don't want them on my holster. The fewer mechanical points of connection, the better. I have a couple of OWB holster with enough screws to use a tube of  Lock-Tite on and always worry which one is going to back out on me first.

I also am not a fan of "slide" holster models where one holster fits several models with different slide lenghts. I am hyper about an OWB holster covering my slide completely to the muzzle as protecting the front sight is paramount IMO if you're going to be moving around, getting in and out of cars, etc. Probably just a quirk of mine...

Also, it would be great to see models that could accommodate a handgun with a tac light mounted, but I can see where that could be a PIA from a manufacturing standpoint. Some folks always like different color options when it comes to kydex also.

Anyhow, that's my short list of specs I'll be on the lookout for your new products as I am as pleased as can be with the pieces I have from you so far. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Jeez some of you guys carry your guns far back. What are the advantages?

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you're talking about me since I'm the only one who posted a pic but the advantages? I don't have to change my style of dress. As you can see I'm not a large guy, 5' 8" 155lb 32" waist, and carrying this way my M&P9c in MTAC is a piece of cake to conceal regardless what I wear. Typically I wear what you see, khaki shorts and a non-oversized medium tshirt; jeans, tshirt and a medium weight jacket in winter. Drawing is not awkward or difficult at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing you're talking about me since I'm the only one who posted a pic but the advantages? I don't have to change my style of dress. As you can see I'm not a large guy, 5' 8" 155lb 32" waist, and carrying this way my M&P9c in MTAC is a piece of cake to conceal regardless what I wear. Typically I wear what you see, khaki shorts and a non-oversized medium tshirt; jeans, tshirt and a medium weight jacket in winter. Drawing is not awkward or difficult at all.

What about sitting down in the car or on a couch? Do you have problems bending over and printing?

My biggest issue with 4-5 o'clock carry was having my shirt ride up over the gun and printing a lot when bending over.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What about sitting down in the car or on a couch? Do you have problems bending over and printing?

My biggest issue with 4-5 o'clock carry was having my shirt ride up over the gun and printing a lot when bending over.

No not at all. It's actually very comfortable for me while sitting in either my car w/ bucket seats, truck w/ std seats, or simply in a chair or on the couch. I tried every position from 3-6 o'clock and found that 4+/- o'clock position best. My shirt rarely rides up but I make it a habit to simply give the bottom of my shirt a quick "rim job" when standing up. I'm sure everyone is different which is why I simply can't conceal at 3 o'clock with my current style and size of dress. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Considering these mag holders stick below the belt line anyhow, why not just get a knife or multitool sheath with flap that the mag will fit into in leather or nylon? Completely conceals the magazine, looks like nothing more than a folding knife/multitool if seen, but is still readily accessible. This allows your mag to be "exposed" and hidden at the same time. Whats the use of having a gun holster IWB when you still need to worry about exposing a mag holder sticking far below the position of the gun on the opposite side?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have any suggestions for carrying 2 magazines? 2 single carriers or 1 double? This is for a 1911...
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
While I think their holsters suck, Fobus paddle mounted magazine carriers are pretty damn good at snugging right up to the body.

True. Also, look up Rocket Man Holsters. He's sorta small time custom shop, but he makes a fine, thin kydex carrier.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone have any suggestions for carrying 2 magazines? 2 single carriers or 1 double? This is for a 1911...

I use a Gerber knife pouch and can easily hold 2 8rd 1911 mags side by side in it completely concealed. They don't catch on each other when removing one mag either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use a Gerber knife pouch and can easily hold 2 8rd 1911 mags side by side in it completely concealed. They don't catch on each other when removing one mag either.

So you can draw one without flinging the other? I will have to give this idea a try. I have a Benchmade sheath I can try.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So you can draw one without flinging the other? I will have to give this idea a try. I have a Benchmade sheath I can try.

I use Wilson 47Ds and Kimpro Tac mags in such a pouch and the other one does not move. If the mag has a flared side to side base plate than the outer mag can sit atop the other but it all depends on what type of pouch your using. Other than throwing a mag in my pocket, its the most convenient, no hassle carry method I've found and best of all it works!
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use Wilson 47Ds and Kimpro Tac mags in such a pouch and the other one does not move. If the mag has a flared side to side base plate than the outer mag can sit atop the other but it all depends on what type of pouch your using. Other than throwing a mag in my pocket, its the most convenient, no hassle carry method I've found and best of all it works!
The Benchmade sheath will only hold 1 magazine. Need to find one with more depth.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Benchmade sheath will only hold 1 magazine. Need to find one with more depth.

My Gerber sheath holds 2 officer or government mags. Maybe try another sheath you have or take two mags to a shop that sells knives/sheaths and try it out. Probably will get less stares from a gun shop selling knives but who cares if you get what you want. I think some people might believe I like this method because its cheap but to me its more concealed this way and way more comfortable than even a high ride open top mag holder.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

With a 3 o'clock mount; does not dig into the upper thigh when sitting down.  The Milt Sparks VersaMax II is a good example of how to avoid digging into the thigh
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top