Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 2:05:30 PM EDT
As I've mentioned in a few other threads, I'm still pretty new to CCW. This means I'm running into little epiphanies on an almost daily basis - might be old hat to you "seasoned" types but they're always shockers to me.

Today's lesson was "weapon retention". I was in casual, around-the-house mode and had my P32 in my back pocket. At one point, I ended up horsing around on the floor with the dogs, got up... and picked my KelTec off the floor before it became a chew toy. Slipped right out and I barely noticed it.

My "only cops should carry guns" father-in-law (retired NYC cop, of course) is staying with us for the next week, so I'm stressing the first "C" in CCW. However, once he goes back, I'm foreseeing a lot of drops, flops, rolls, bucks, et cetera with every conceivable gun and holster I intend to carry. If there are surprises to be had, I'd rather not run into them in "real-time".

So, who else has considered this and what type of drills do you do to make sure your gun/holster combo keeps things where they're supposed to be?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Keith,
First and foremost in my opinion a good holster is as important as the gun.  A CCW weapon is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.  I carry either a full-size (CZ-85) or mid size (CZ-75 compact) wherever I go.  Yes of course I notice the pistol is there if I didn't there would be bigger issues at hand.  A P-32 serves a purpose but not for most CCW holders in my mind it is just to small a caliber and to small a gun to be a serious defensive weapon.  I do not believe in the detterent factor if your going to do that carry a cap gun.  You are on the right path with trying out your various CCW rigs though.  I have a very good idea of what I can and can not do with my prefered CCW set-up.  As far as your father-in-law goes tell him your welcome and if he doesn't like it he can get a hotel.  CCW holders protect not only themselves but everyone else by making criminals think twice about who is armed.  Just figure out what works for you and stick with it.  You don't want to have 12 diffrent gun/draw combinations to sort through when the shit hits the fan.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Woodrow.I good holster is just as important as the gun it carries.I make sure my gun/holster do not get away from me during any physical activities.I carry a full-size 1911 in an IWB holster.I know it's there most of the time but I also know it will always be there unless I remove it.If you were to get in a scuffle and your P32 came out like that, it could get into the wrong hands and be used on you.I've never been a big fan of pea shooters either but it's not my life you're defending so it's not my business.As far as the father in law goes, I understand wanting to conceal it around him if he doesn't know you have a CCW permit.The less  people that know the better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I probably should've worded it better. The P32 is my "not carrying" gun. It just happened to be the one that taught me this valuable lesson. For the most part, I carry a Kahr MK9 in a Bianchi IWB clip-on. I'm considering a Watch Six but want to make sure I'm going to stick with the Kahr before ordering the leather. My little lesson just lit up the idea bulb that I should make sure the "real gun" doesn't behave the same way under physical duress.

As for the in-law... well, he's a bit of a jackass on several fronts. Firearm elitism is just one of them. It'd be more trouble than it's worth to get into a "discussion" with him so I'll just suck it up for the next few days and practice afterwards.

Thanks for the response, though. I know I'm doing a lot of re-inventing the wheel so I really appreciate the lessons of others.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Although I sincerely hope you never need to, but if you ever have to SAVE his daughter with that firearm, I bet his attutude will be a little different.

As far as the weapon retention....It was loose in your pocket?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm quite certain you're right... at least until he forgets and the topic comes up again. Hope I never - *never* - have to test that theory.

As for the pocket-carry, yes. I've carried a spiral notebook - and nothing else - in my back pocket for years and found the P32 fits exactly behind it. The book completely hides the grip and the general profile, it covers the trigger and guard, there really isn't any pocket lint or crud to speak of and the combination of pistol, notepad and, well, butt *normally* keeps enough tension to prevent the gun from going anywhere unintentionally.

As I said, this is my checking-the-mailbox mode. Anything more involved and I'm either carrying the Kahr in a real holster or, in the case of shorts-&-t-shirt weather, I use a Thunderwear-type holster for the mousegun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top