Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 9:05:48 AM EDT
anybod have any experience with this for Gov't 1911?

Holster

opinions please, good, bad, whatever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd avoid it for any serious use just because it's BlackHawk.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I used an askins style by wild bill, still do but not every day, like it, easy to present from..rides front to back on hip well, where you want it too..
common style these days..
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those that came with a Glock I picked up from somewhere.

I do not like it, and here's why.

The leather is soft, far softer than a properly boned handmade holster should be. As a result, the retention is not all that could be wished (though it retains adequately), it flexes on the belt too much for my taste, and reholstering is a challenge because the holster mouth tends to collapse.

Aside from that, I prefer holsters with "sweat shields."  They help keep your shirt out of the holster when practicing, and provide an additional measure of comfort / clothing protection from abrasion and lubricants.  

I also don't care for the holsters that let the muzzle stick out of the bottom.  Sometimes the front sight will catch on the edge of the holster when drawing.  Plus, the muzzle of the gun can get beat up and scratched, and the front sight can potentially be damaged especially if you're getting in and out of cars several times a day.  

I also have the Blackhawk CQC and much prefer it, though it's an IWB design.  If the leather were stiffer, it would be pretty close to perfect.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd avoid it for any serious use just because it's BlackHawk.

I'm still wearing a Blackhawk IWB holster that I've had to fix several times. I'm too cheap to buy a new holster. But it keeps breaking...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 Askins holsters in leather.  One is a Bianchi for a BHP and the other is a Rafter S for a Commander.  I like both very much, and the Rafter is only $50 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree w/SGB on the 55BN but I use cowhide(don't want to piss off my horses).
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Galco Askins Avenger for about 18 years.  It is a great all around holster.   It places the gun high on the hip out of sight and out of the way when sitting, but the forward "FBI" rake allows a fast draw.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Another Askins-type to consider is the DeSantis HRT Special. VERY nice holster.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered a Rafter S holster.  It was in stock so I'll have it anyday.  Update to follow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top