Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2006 3:18:25 PM EDT
What do you consider acceptable accuracy for a carry gun?  I don't just mean mechanical accuracy, but also in terms of your abilities with the carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Called head shots at 25yd. and body hits at 50yd....quickly. JMO

Wow.  Those are some stiff qualifications there.  

I'll be most guns are capable of that kind of accuracy, but I doubt most users are.  I'd be comfortable with that with most of my handguns.  

I would think that disqualifies anything in the realm of subcompact.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8

Jesus, you a marksman or something?

13-15 yards headshot, body at 25 yards.  My PPK gives me that and thats about as low as I would want to go.  I don't anticipate needing more accuracy than that, if so, trunk gun time.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

13-15 yards headshot, body at 25 yards.  My PPK gives me that and thats about as low as I would want to go.  I don't anticipate needing more accuracy than that, if so, trunk gun time.....

It would take a good pistol and a lot of practice to do that, that's for sure.  I'd be comfortable doing 25 yard headshots and 50 yard body shots like he suggested with my Wilson, Kimber, or G19.  That's probably about it.  

My Colt is reliable, but not accurate enough for headshots at 25.  Body shots isn't a problem at 50 thought.  I might be good enough with the Glock 30, Beretta, or Hi-Power to do that, but I don't practice enough with them.  I certainly couldn't do it with the PM9 -- it's just too small.

More realistic is probably 10 feet or so, but I'd rather have something that I CAN use at distance accurately if I needed to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
most of the time if i can hit the body at 25 yds.
head?  

if and when i have to pull my gun the guy will already be on top of me so i am looking at contact distance.  

if i can shoot at 50 yds i don't need to be shooting.  the guy is not a threat unless he has a rifle and at that point my ass will be running away.  not shooting at him.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure the gun can hit from a rest at 25 yards. Practice at 21 feet. That's the minimum distance from which you will have time to draw and fire before the bad guy is on you.

Simplest test I know is to use a paper plate. Shoot from seven yards using sights and seven feet without sights (look across the top of the slide/barrel like it was a shotgun). If you can hit quickly and consistently you're OK.

My personal standard is two hits in three seconds from concealment, real concealment, what you wear for EDC, not an IDPA vest. Most guys I know are faster than that but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This is a good baseline for me.

FWIW, I'm certainly nothing special on the firing line, in fact, I consider myself far less than impressive, yet SGB was there to witness me doing Mozambique drills out to 25 yards with my Operator.

Try it, and I think you'll find it's a lot easier than it sounds, like shooting at a hundred yards. It's impressive to all until they actually try it, then they all go, "Wow! That was easy!"
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Works for me! If the pistol is capable of 4" at 25 yards this is do'able.

If you practice this way then the mythical 21 feet is a piece of cake, but use a 3 X 5 card instead of a paper plate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
6" of heart at 10 yards is more than enough for something like 99.999% of all civilian shootings.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
6" of heart at 10 yards is more than enough for something like 99.999% of all civilian shootings.

One does not excel by practicing to be mediocre… Challenge yourself!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The question is what is acceptable for a carry gun.  Not what do you personally try for.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The question is what is acceptable for a carry gun.  Not what do you personally try for.

And if I had a piece that would only shoot your six inches at ten yards, I'd sell it...in a dark alley...with a disguised voice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

For the general public I'd be happy if they could hit and 8 inch target at 50 feet under stress with safety and confidence.  (That works out to about 12 inches at 25 yards.)

My personal goals are much more stringent, but based on what I see of the general public at the range I'd be happy with the above.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actualy ikor is a quite well qualified Instructor.

And...  It's not magic.  Anyone with normal hand eye coordination and enough practice can do it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I consider a "carry gun" as a subcompact pistol.  I carry a PPK.  If you can make do 25/50 yard with that then I will bow down to you.   It's a great gun but it doens't have the best accuracy.

Sure if your carrying a Glock or any similiar sized gun then of course they are capable of that, but I was referring to a compact pistol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That is what both the wife and I strive for, although we are still working on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I consider a "carry gun" as a subcompact pistol.  I carry a PPK.  If you can make do 25/50 yard with that then I will bow down to you.   It's a great gun but it doens't have the best accuracy.

Sure if your carrying a Glock or any similiar sized gun then of course they are capable of that, but I was referring to a compact pistol.

Because you restrict yourself to a mousegun does not mean everybody does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I think if you can draw and consistently put rounds center-of-mass at 50 feet, you're fine for most situations.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I like a gun that will shoot under two inches at 25 yards, from a rest. My Commercial will do half that, and I would be surprised if the other Colt I have coming this month isn't the same way.

I shoot my pistols out to 150 yards or more, sometimes 200. I can hit pretty well in the body at 100.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
head?  

if and when i have to pull my gun the guy will already be on top of me so i am looking at contact distance.  

if i can shoot at 50 yds i don't need to be shooting.  the guy is not a threat unless he has a rifle and at that point my ass will be running away.  not shooting at him.  

Really? Imagine that you were in the parking lot of a Bank of America in North Hollywood California one beautiful day...... that shot would be at least 50 yards. And they had armor. A good marksman could hit them in the head at that distance at least some of the time, but not with a shitty pistol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
head?  

I live in Ohio and we have the duty to retreat so i have to agree with you. The threat had better be within 7 yards of me with no way for me to get out of the situation or i'm in big trouble. And if you think thats bad, try carring in a car. Gun has to be in holster and exposed or locked in glove box or a locked box while in car but then completely concealed when out of car. Doesn't leave to many options.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a p-12 Para-Ordnance. I would only carry a gun that shoots better than I do at 50yds, 25yds, or less. The last thing anyone needs if a situation goes to full force is a weapon that has questionable accuracy. I want to know that when I do my part, my weapon will too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top