Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 11:26:36 AM EDT
Just got back from the range.What a shitty time.I never had this problem with my AR before.
I had a failure to feed after every round.I had to use the charging handle everytime.
Then I noticed more gas coming through the ejection port than usual.
I opened her up and took out the bolt carrier and noticed right away the gas key was loose.Wasn't so before I went to the range.
I proceeded to remove the bolt from the assy. and noticed right behind the gas rings a large build up of what looks like black, hardened melted metal or an extreme amount of carbon build up(can't be sure.)Again wasn't there before I went to the range.
I only managed 40 rounds through the AR before I decided to call it quits.
After 1200 rounds without any problems,I'm stumped.Could it be that I didn't stagger the gas rings properly?
Is my bolt assy. done for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OK,sorry.I know this should be in general but was in a hurry to rant.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf Ammo?

Your bolt (breech block) shouldn't be baked and I can't think of anything else but built up crap. Did you have a D-Fender synthetic buffer on your extractor? Check your extractor spring too.

Try replacing your gas rings with a 1-piece McFarlan ring. Brownells has them for about $4.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
carbon can look like metal, just scrape it off and and tighten down your gas key and stake that thing. a loose gas key symtoms are just like the problems your haveing.

if you have any questions about stakeing your gas key down you can ask questions about it in the build it your self in the AR-15 part of this forum.. dont know how this is a carry issue or even a hand gun issue

gl
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
carbon can look like metal, just scrape it off and and tighten down your gas key and stake that thing. a loose gas key symtoms are just like the problems your haveing.

if you have any questions about stakeing your gas key down you can ask questions about it in the build it your self in the AR-15 part of this forum.. dont know how this is a carry issue or even a hand gun issue

gl

Read the last sentence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top