Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 10:31:41 AM EDT
I'd like to get an opinion on what you all though of following the letter of the law when CCW.  Not sure how it is in other states, but I assume the off limits places are pretty similar.  If you have to go to an off limits place, do you still carry?  For example, I really feel like a bar is one of the most important places to carry because that's where a large number of assaults get started.  What about if you have do duck into somewhere for a short time ie. the post office, or picking up a kid from school?

I'd like to hear your 2 cents on the matter
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have carried in all places except court houses and post offices.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in Indiana, the way I take it anyway, you are allowed to carry onto school grounds if approved by the school, an employee there or working on the grounds, or if you are picking up/ dropping off someone.  Not sure if this is 100% correct, but thats the way i interpert the law.  Who knows how its enforced though.  Most people would freak if they saw an AR15 in my back window while I dropped someone off.  Even if it is legal, some things just arnt smart to do.  Like carrying into a bank w/ a ski mask on, even if it is cold.  Just dont say"Id like to make a withdrawl" TOO loud
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I am currently a college student right now (go Canes) so a lot of my business is on campus.  Generally I do not carry onto campus because the risks far outweigh the potential benefits; however, sometimes I do carry there if i think it is necessary, for example I was going to make a large cash deposit (my roommate's rent money) into the on campus ATM.  You can bet I was packing then.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here in Indiana, the way I take it anyway, you are allowed to carry onto school grounds if approved by the school, an employee there or working on the grounds, or if you are picking up/ dropping off someone.  Not sure if this is 100% correct, but thats the way i interpert the law.  Who knows how its enforced though.  Most people would freak if they saw an AR15 in my back window while I dropped someone off.  Even if it is legal, some things just arnt smart to do.  Like carrying into a bank w/ a ski mask on, even if it is cold.  Just dont say"Id like to make a withdrawl" TOO loud

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
       (1) A:
           (A) federal;
           (B) state; or
           (C) local;
       law enforcement officer.
       (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
           (A) a school; or
           (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
       to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
       (3) A person who:
           (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
           (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
       (1) in or on school property;
       (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
       (3) on a school bus;
commits a Class D felony.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have carried in all places except court houses and post offices.

A few times I locked my gun in my truck, but left my holster on when I went into the court house. I only ever had one security guy make a joke about the empty holster. I told him I was going to get a gun when I get big.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my jobs is on a college campus, and I do not carry there, but secret my gun very well in my truck and lock it up. I have spoken with the campus officers I work with, and they understand that I am following the law to the best of my abilities short of leaving my gun at home, and we're good.

Otherwise, I don't carry anywhere I'm not allowed, and I don't frequent places in which I am not allowed to carry.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]

If you have to go to an off limits place, do you still carry?

Nope.  Just not worth it.  Lots of downside, almost no upside.  At the best (assuming you get caught) everyplace will become an off limits place when they take your CCW away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top