Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2005 11:17:58 AM EDT
If you are new to CHL, please read this post and save yourself the headache that I went thru, not to mention the money wasted.

I have had my CHL for about a year now and have carried maybe a total of 3 hours in that time.  The problem has been all of the different holsters and carry positions that I have tried.  I just could not find a comfortable combination.  I have tried approximately 10 different holsters and at least 4 different placements; small of back, SS, WS, IWB, OWB, pocket, you name it, I've tried it.  After all of this, I even tried a few different guns, all smaller caliber of course thinking that the weight of the gun was the problem.

Since I was having no luck finding a comfortable fit, I was buying all cheap holsters; $10 to $25  (mostly nylon or Kydex), not to mention I was not taking advantage of my CHL like I should have been.

On a whim, I decided to try a $60 Desantis holster. This was going to be my last hope.  I was out of options.  Well, that was the best $60 I have ever spent.  This thing fits like a dream and easily conceals my XD-40.  It does a very nice job of keeping the weapon close to my body and keeping the heavy grip from flopping around.  In the past week I have carried more than I did during the previous year.

I guess you do get what you pay for.  Lesson learned the hard way!

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, QUALITY holsters and belts make all the difference in the world.   I was the same way--I bitched for a year about how uncomfortable carrying was, until I ditched the combo of an Uncle Mikes clip-on IWB and whatever belt I happened to be wearing, and replaced it with a Galco belt and Milt Sparks holster.  Now, I can carry all day, it's so comfortable, and the pistol stays in exactly the same place all day long.

ETA:  Now, if you haven't already done so, invest in a quality belt.  Like a house, you need a good foundation for a carry rig, and that's where the belt comes in.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Money does equal a good holster . I have a box
full of them that I don't like for one reason or another .
Including many big dollar custom made leather .

After 20+ years of CCW I've found that no hip carried
weapon holster is comfortable for all day carry when
your doing everyday stuff like sitting or driving more
then walking or standing .

Drop leg and shoulder rigs are way more comfortable
but often not practical or legal .  Another option is
clothing designed for concealed carry , but the tradeoff
is slower access .

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Clint Smith said a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, just comforting.

Good holster, good belt, all day carry, and in about six months you'll forget its there.

Been carrying since 91.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to see the opposite side, I have a few $100+ range holsters but today I picked up 2 for carry that set me back a whopping $23!!!

These Uncle Mike's are what suite my needs. The pair they are replacing wore out after 10+ years of heavy use. (inside the pants holsters)

The expensive ones almost never leave the house, mainly because I don't want to carry my firearm in the manner they are designed for.

Point being that expense usually equates to quality, but quality does not necessarily equate to practicality.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the fobus paddle holsters mostly because they're convienent. I bought a DeSantis IWB holster today and love it. We'll see how much I love a couple months from now after daily use. I'll keep everyone posted. I too have a big box of all the gun leather I've collected over the years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
you've only carried 3 hours in a year. ?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
A quality holster and a good GUNBELT are always the place to start.

I think the reason people give up on carrying real guns is that they arent willing to invest in a quality rig with the full realization that it STILL may not carry the gun comfortably for you, and more styles or makers might have to be pursued.  Any serious gun-toter will have a box of holsters that "just didnt work."

Thank God for the EE
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The search for that perfect holster, gun, carry combination is part of the fun.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#9]
We all have a drawer full of leather. Its par for the course. Just to add my 10 years of ccw experience, I ended up with an Ultralight 38 snubby, carried one of three ways.
1st and prefered is a belt slide type leather rig, desantis I think. Next is an Alessi ankle rig and third is a belly band. All my bases are covered with this combination...but it was an expensive combination to find. However, the day when I need that little snubby will be the day it seems cheap.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you've only carried 3 hours in a year. ?

I know, I know.  I have sinned.

But, with this new holster things will change drastically.  It has always been comforting as THR put it, but now it is comfortable as well.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
However, the day when I need that little snubby will be the day it seems cheap.

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Well said!  Now it's time to get out of the XD :-)
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think Clint Smith said a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, just comforting.

Good holster, good belt, all day carry, and in about six months you'll forget its there.

Been carrying since 91.

That is a Col. Jeff Cooper quote. Clint would have said something sarcastic and witty.

I have carried many, many different ways. I still have a few different carry styles that I stick to. One thing that always remains the same is a quality holster. This includes a kydex IWB holster. I have a good Galco shoulder rig for my USP45, a good leather Kirkpatrick pancake for my P220, Galco ankle and SOB rig for my G27 and a Dillon "Anytimer" for off body carry in dress clothes when I can't wear a jacket.

I always carry something at least "point four oh" when packing a gun fighting firearm. That quote is attributible to Wild Bill Hickock.

Carry more often. I usually pack about 16 hours per day, even in the house.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Mitch Rosen makes some really good holsters too.

I have one of his leather Express line "Clippers" IWB for my Kahr PM9 and it snaps into it like a Kydex holster.   That's the most comfortable, concealable weapon/holster combo I own.  It has the stiffening band in the mouth of the holster which holds it open making re-holstering effortless and the J-hook clip he has holds on to the belt like no other IWB clip I've seen.    It's a professional level holster.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Geez, I have much more holster time CCing my HK USPF in my cheap nylon holster. Leather is more pleasant to carry in , but I think alot of it is just getting used to carrying till ya almost forget its on ya.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
tag
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Can't go wrong with a good belt hoster.  I have one for each of my carry pistols.  Mine are either Bianchi or Highnoon holsters.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Carry can be comfortable.  For me personally (and this WILL be different for everyone) a good pancake holster and a stiff belt makes OWB carry an all day affair with no discomfort.  My personal choice is a G&G sportster lined belt and a Galco Combat Master holster.  I'm sure any decent pancake holster would work for me.  

The biggest thing is the belt.  It is the foundation for your entire carry system.  Even a great holster won't make up for a crappy belt.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A quality holster and a good GUNBELT are always the place to start.

I think the reason people give up on carrying real guns is that they arent willing to invest in a quality rig with the full realization that it STILL may not carry the gun comfortably for you, and more styles or makers might have to be pursued.  Any serious gun-toter will have a box of holsters that "just didnt work."

Thank God for the EE

BIG +1.  I have so many "extra" holsters that I never wear just because they don't work.  They are great quality holsters, but just didn't work for me.  Now that I think about it, I may have to sell a few on the EE!  I also agree that a gun BELT is a requirement.  Kmart/Walmart, etc. belts are NOT made to carry a holstered weapon.  That's why quality holster companies make belts.  (Galco)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#20]
good choice i have one for my 4" Colt Python
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I must have just lucked out.  The first holster I bought was a Desantis leather holster (which I'm wearing as I type this) and it's fantastically comfortable.   I can wear all day long with no issues.  The only thing I don't like about it is that because the belt loops are a tad close together, the rig will rotate just a bit, even with a good, wide belt to hold them in place.  For my Kimber, I'm getting a VM2 I think.  Once I get my ambi-safety installed on the Custom II, that will likely become my daily carry weapon in the VM2.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]
After reading all these posts I had to add my $.02. I totally agree on going with a quality holster for carry. There is just no way around a spending the money on a decent holster and belt for carrying.
Where I differ is that I use kydex almost 90% of the time. I find it suits me better than leather. Mainly because I sweat a lot and I find that it easier to deal with in a moist environment.
I also whole heartedly agree that having a box of holsters is par for the course. However, since I have gone with Comp-tac I have not looked back. I have a dozen of their holsters.
If you are serious about carrying you soon learn that the money you spend on the gun was only about half of what you will end up spending once you get all that is needed.
I wouldn't have it any other way, when you look at what it is used for I consider it a cheap investment in mine and my loved ones safety!
Don't give up on the search for the perfect holster, it takes lots of time and practice to get it "just right".
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been carrying for 35 years. I have a holster sewn on the inside of a leather vest that I wear often. I have one sewn inside of a jacket that I wear often. I use a Desantis belt holster when I'm not wearing the vest or jacket. I agree 100% that the secret to a belt holster is a good belt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
tagola for the 411
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
When it comes to weapons, equipment, and training, I always ask the same question:  "How much is your life worth?"

BIG +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top