Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 7:07:11 AM EDT
I am 6'2" 185lbs. I have a sig P226 and just got my CCW. I have to wear my shirt tucked in at work, and so I have been trying to decide on which holster is best for concealment in dress clothes.

Everyone I talk to about it suggests the Milt Sparks VMII, but I don't hear very good things about the tuckable clip option. I have considered the Galco SkyOps but I am concerned that with the full size Sig it may bulge my waistline out. The Pager Pal (please don't laugh) looks intriguing as well.

Any input from those who have been down this road before?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a comp-tac for my glock that I simply love, my roomate could not tell I was carying even when I told him i was -- with a tucked in shirt.

The one I have is a CTAC with the C clips -- great holster IMO.

www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html

And just to cover yourself, make sure carying a gun at work wouldn't get you fired -- every place I've worked for will fire you no questions asked here if they find out your packing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried a bunch of different IWB's for fullsized guns.  The most comfortable one BY FAR for me is the Tucker Gunleather "The Answer".  I can carry my Glock 17, and completely forget it's there.  I tried a lot of the other options first (due to the price of The Answer"), but I really wish I would have just bought the Tucker first.

I also tried the Comp-tac CTAC, and it was a nice holster, but there were always a bunch of pointy edges that poked my posterior.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Tucker Cover Up Plus.

I find it very comfortable and well made.

+1 on finding out about carrying at work.

Seydou

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all who posted... I appreciate the feedback. My work setting is cool. Most folks here probably assume I am carrying already!

The C-Tac and the Tucker Answer look very similar except for the addition of the leather backing on the Tucker product. That looks like a great idea to me. My wallet wants the CTac, but my backside wants the Answer!

Can I get away with an 1-1/4 " belt, or do I need something more substantial?

One more.. Do any of you every get looks or comments due to the clips on your belt?

Thanks!

-Turbok
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks to all who posted... I appreciate the feedback. My work setting is cool. Most folks here probably assume I am carrying already!

The C-Tac and the Tucker Answer look very similar except for the addition of the leather backing on the Tucker product. That looks like a great idea to me. My wallet wants the CTac, but my backside wants the Answer!

Can I get away with an 1-1/4 " belt, or do I need something more substantial?

One more.. Do any of you every get looks or comments due to the clips on your belt?

Thanks!

-Turbok

You will most probably not end up with what you start with. At least that is how it worked for me.

A holster should not be something you skimp on IMO (Do not always follow your wallet).

Neither should a belt (it is arguably as important). Also, 1 1/2" seems to me the most universal.

No one has ever commented on the belt clip or type of belt clip, for me anyways.

Seydou

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Comp-Tac C.T.A.C.

It is my everyday Kydex Holster. If I wear a leather rig, its Mitch Rosen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to carry that cannon with dress clothes then something like Smartcarry or Thunderware would work very well for you.

If you can get a smaller gun then a pocket holster would work even better.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to buy a smaller pistola for at work carry!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I tried a bunch of different IWB's for fullsized guns.  The most comfortable one BY FAR for me is the Tucker Gunleather "The Answer".  I can carry my Glock 17, and completely forget it's there.  I tried a lot of the other options first (due to the price of The Answer"), but I really wish I would have just bought the Tucker first.

I also tried the Comp-tac CTAC, and it was a nice holster, but there were always a bunch of pointy edges that poked my posterior.

I have a "The Answer" also for my 1911, and although I know I cannot compair carying a compact gun to a fullsize...... the reason I don't cary the 1911 much with that holster, is that the leather does not protect "enough" against the skin, and the bevertail digs into my side (Must be worn at 3 o'clock position, anything else sticks out BADLY when sitting).
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I just KNEW I needed a another pistol! I need to get the Mrs to read this!

Anyone actually used the Smart-Carry, Pager Pal, or such?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried both the smart carry and a belly band.

Neither worked for me = waste of money.

YMMV

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE: - Well, I finally made a decision. I called Lighting Arms and placed an order for a Milt Sparks VMII. I really appreciate everyone's advice - I see that it is a very personal thing, but I know that everyone who has been down this road has valuable insight and I thank yo ufor sharing.

I made another decision: I will look for a smaller/lighter/more concealable gun to carry at work and when it is blistering hot like it tends to get here in Alabama.

Feels good to get off the fence of indecision!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Good decisions.

My pocket gun is a Kel-tec P32 but a PA3T or P11 would work also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I own a 226 and it's my winter time gun.   It's just to big for IWB tucked in shirt carry for me.

For tucked in shirt at work I carry a Kahr PM9.   I have a smartcarry too, but I've found using it at 4:00 behind my right hip instead of over the groin is a lot better.  That thing feels like it's cooking your balls if you were it all day over your groin in the summer.  The smartcarry over the hip holds the gun just right so I can tuck my shirt over it then billow the shirt out a little so it conceals the little bit of grip that might print.  Completely disappears and feels just like I'm not wearing a gun.

Either that or I just bandito carry it.  The shape of the Kahr stays on the waist band very well.  I can also tuck my shirt over it that way and it makes even less bulk.   I also own a Mitch Rosen "Clipper" IWB made for the Kahr and use that when I wear an untucked shirt. It's a really good holster and fits precisely.

Only when bending over does the grip print a little, so you have to be conscience of people being behind you.  Get the seat at the restaurant against the wall, etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]
The MS VM2 is my year ‘round carry holster. I carry a Kimber Custom Compact CDP. It’s a very concealable combination. Here’s a thread regarding the tuckable option. You might find it useful:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84991
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Carrying at work with business casual attire is not easy and there currently isn't a very good answer.  I've been doing it for more than a year and have settled on two different options.  Before I go into them, let me emphasize that in my situation, I can not get made.  If I do, it will cost me my job.  That means deep concealment is required.  If you can accept getting made from time to time, your situation is better than mine and you have more flexibility in holsters.  If deep concealment is required, here are my two choices:

1.  Smart carry.  I use this when wearing polo shirts.  I never have been able to carry it in the manner they suggest, but it works fairly well if I shift the holster over my right thigh.  Its totally invisible as long as I wear pleated pants.  Its not the most comfortable method, but not horrible either.  

2.  The Action-Direct "shoulder holster" works well, but has a distinct down side.  The holster itself is essentially a belly band with straps that go over the shoulder.  It works extremely well under a button-up shirt and has space for 2 spare mags.  There is no way I can be made with it on unless somebody pats me on the back and notices the straps.  The down side is what happens on hot and humid days.  It itches like the dickens and by the end of the day, I am nearly crazy with anxiety to get it off.  

I've actually come up with a solution for business casual, but its something I need to play with before I get into it here.  Until then, the above options are the best I've come up with without dropping to a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
For you guys who find having the holster against your skin uncomfortable,
I tried out several types of undershirts, Hanes, Body Armour, etc.

What I wound up doing is this...
I found that any tanktop shows out my collar of any shirt I wear with a collar.
I trimmed my undershirts down so I have less material up by my neck and to the sides of my neck.
Getting rid of the extra material also makes the undershirt a bit cooler to wear.

I also found that the 'muscleman' weightlifting tanks are cut low and farther down the shoulders than a standard tank.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys, this is great feedback! I really appreciate it. I shot a Kahr 9mm and really liked it. Heavy, but it was a great shooting gun. Have not tried Keltec. I have also been tempted to go the 38 sp wheel gun route, but who knows. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Cliffy109 - do keep us posted on your idea!

Can anyone recommend a spare mag carrier that will go IWB?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 For the CT.A.C. I use one foe my 1911.

One thing I can't seem to get down though is being able to tuck in my shirt.  Never quite works like the picture!

Great holster though and if I go leather then its a Milt Spark VM II
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top