Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
So something was brought up on my mind,

If you have to use your CC firearm for self defense, do you lose that firearm for good in a evidence locker?
What do you have to do to get it back if you’ve been cleared? I’ve heard rumors of folks losing their 3200$ pistol etc.

Which also plays into I want a staccato C, saw one at the gun store and rented it, loved the balance and weight.
Not so light I forget it’s their but not to heavy ruins my spinal column.
, comfortable to shoot unlike my 43x trigger dingus cut into my finger bad and sucked to shoot. I’ve learned smaller and lighter isn’t always better.

But it also plays into, if I buy said 1900$ pistol and I use it, would I get it back? 1900$ is a small price to pay for life, but I’d like to live and
retain my 1900$ pistol if at all possible.

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard internet stories that go both ways.
The firearm is seized at the scene as evidence, a week later the DA declares it a good shoot and gives the firearm back. This is what should happen.
Also heard of people who had to keep their lawyer after the not guilty verdict and sue the DA in order to get their firearm back to find that the police stored it improperly and it's now a rusted, scratched, crushed, ruined remains of a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
A family member was involved in a good shoot in the mid 90’s, it took three years to get the Glock back, and the PD stole his tritium sights. He was also prior LE.

Just another strike against the shithole known as Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heard internet stories that go both ways.
The firearm is seized at the scene as evidence, a week later the DA declares it a good shoot and gives the firearm back. This is what should happen.
Also heard of people who had to keep their lawyer after the not guilty verdict and sue the DA in order to get their firearm back to find that the police stored it improperly and it's now a rusted, scratched, crushed, ruined remains of a firearm.
View Quote

Yikes, maybe I should look at something cheaper.

Like maybe I’m crazy but I feel like all evidence should be returned the next day after being cleared.

But then again, how many people actually get cleared and not turned into a example by the guvment?
In todays world, the victim is the criminal and the criminal is just some poor fella who was chastised by so-cia-TEH.

My faith in the justice system went down the drain long time ago lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A family member was involved in a good shoot in the mid 90’s, it took three years to get the Glock back, and the PD stole his tritium sights. He was also prior LE.

Just another strike against the shithole known as Albuquerque.
View Quote

Hold up, Albuquerque? Was the lawyer named Saul Goodman by chance?

Sorry couldn’t resist making the reference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Another thing to consider is are you willing to drop it if told to by the police?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Les baer with ivory grips. No problems dropping it (if ordered) or losing it to evidence in a riteous shoot.

Carry the best you can. Fuck the cost. My family’s life is worth more than any gun I own
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another thing to consider is are you willing to drop it if told to by the police?
View Quote

If the shoot is done, yeah. The knicks from being dropped I don’t care about.

I care about it being rusted in a evidence locker or parted out to hell and getting a bag of screws returned to me.

It’s like that scene from Lord Of War where they had to leave the plane and the Africans ripped it apart. Nice plane too. Lol
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have to use it in a self defense shoot and the firearm is taken into evidence... that gun owes you nothing. Regardless of the cost it has fulfilled its obligation. I carried a Nighthawk before my Staccato P, zero concern about "right of bang" in regards to the gun.

In the LEGITIMATE self defense shoots in my county, all of the firearms were returned to their owners. We actually had one where the older homeowner used a gold inlay display box 1911 to fend off a home invasion of 3 thugs. He held the stairs, sent a few rounds of .45, wounded one and chased off the rest. Once all 3 had been tried it was returned.

Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Snip….

Carry the best you can. Fuck the cost. My family’s life is worth more than any gun I own
View Quote

This is where I am with my carry and HD choices.

I don’t figure in price to what I pick.  

1. Reliability
2. How well I shoot it
3. Capacity

That is all that really matters to me
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I carry a Les baer with ivory grips. No problems dropping it (if ordered) or losing it to evidence in a riteous shoot.

View Quote

Exactly. If you used it to keep yourself or your family alive, it's money well spent regardless of ever seeing that gun again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Jurisdictions vary on this...

I’ve been a police officer in a big city for 25+ years.

Over the years I’ve been in two OIS on duty and both times I was using my personal gun approved and qualified by my agency.

Guns went into boxes and the property room held them until I was cleared by grand jury or special prosecutor.

Both were returned about six months later in same condition. I don’t think my position in LE played any role in the process.

It seemed to be standard time frame for each step of the process... if anything I had another Admin review board hurdle you wouldn’t have.

My advice is buy the best you can afford, within reason make it ideal for you (sights, grip, etc...) and train train train with it.

I’ve owned $300 used Glocks and $5k+ custom Nighthawk 1911s... its just a tool. If it save your bacon who cares about price tag?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're worried about the cost of losing a carry piece following a shooting....

You need to do some more research.

In the event the government decide it's worth investigating, you can be out tens of thousands of dollars justifying the use of your weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top