Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried a TLR-6 on a Glock 26 and I hated the switch. It was awkward to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can put a TLR-6 on any of those. It's not a bad light and it's compact. Can get with or without visible laser.
I tried a TLR-6 on a Glock 26 and I hated the switch. It was awkward to use.

Different strokes. My finger falls right on the switch.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was recently introduced to Grant Cunningham's take on likelihood and plausibility and how it applies to the equipment we use and how we train. If I have a WML on my EDC, it goes without saying that I would need to train with it to be proficient in its deployment. For me, this would fall to the left of the plausibility line talked about by Grant. Devoting training resources to becoming proficient in something I will likely never use isn't productive. Obviously, opinions on this will vary greatly. Take a look at Grant's article and decide for yourself if you can apply it to your situation.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2018/05/a-new-way-of-looking-at-likelihood-and-plausbility/

View Quote

I recommend you watch Aron Cowan from Sage Dynamics to get another perspective.

https://youtube.com/user/SageDynamics
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I recommend you watch Aron Cowan from Sage Dynamics to get another perspective.

https://youtube.com/user/SageDynamics
View Quote
I have.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Different strokes. My finger falls right on the switch.
View Quote
Are you using it momentarily or are you turning it on and then firing the gun?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No light. No MRD. I'm dead but don't know it yet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a TLR1 on my carry gun because it pulls double-duty as my nightstand gun (convenience) and because carrying my gun with the light is more comfortable than without.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
No. Night sights are as new fangled as I get.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll give a specific perspective that may apply more broadly in principle.  

Working as a farmhand I was shoveling in a dark and dusty grain bin.  A few other hands in the bin ran out because they saw something moving in the bin that shouldn’t have.  They got ahold of me because they knew I carried.  I had a TLR-1HL on an M9A3 and found the groundhog.  Despite being broad as daylight outside, it was nice to have a light on my gun in dark environments.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll give a specific perspective that may apply more broadly in principle.  

Working as a farmhand I was shoveling in a dark and dusty grain bin.  A few other hands in the bin ran out because they saw something moving in the bin that shouldn't have.  They got ahold of me because they knew I carried.  I had a TLR-1HL on an M9A3 and found the groundhog.  Despite being broad as daylight outside, it was nice to have a light on my gun in dark environments.
View Quote
Could you have used a handheld?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll give a specific perspective that may apply more broadly in principle.  

Working as a farmhand I was shoveling in a dark and dusty grain bin.  A few other hands in the bin ran out because they saw something moving in the bin that shouldn't have.  They got ahold of me because they knew I carried.  I had a TLR-1HL on an M9A3 and found the groundhog.  Despite being broad as daylight outside, it was nice to have a light on my gun in dark environments.

I think if I was better with a pistol, yes.  It was comforting to have both hands dedicated to grip and trigger pull though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No.  I decided awhile back to just carry a small streamlight in my pants pocket.  That way I've got it whether I'm carrying the P07 (normal), the FNS-C (smaller than normal) or the M&P Shield (really smaller.)
View Quote

That’s my solution as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#12]
XC1Bs on my compacts and x300s on fullsize. The lights these days are light and hardly add any bulk or weight. Better to have and not need then vice versa
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, TLR-1HL on my P320's.  I don't though on my pocket guns.  I also carry a Streamlight USB microstream.

You didn't ask, but I'd spend the money on a weapon light before a red dot, extendo mags, or pretty much anything else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]
95% of the time; No.  I do keep a X300u and a JMac holster for my carry gun.  5% of the time I use that when I'm going into the city in the dark.

I do, however, always carry a Surefire EDCL1-T in my left pocket.  I use that thing all the time and keeps my spare mag oriented the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a light on my carry gun, P365XL with TLR-7Sub.  I use my gun for work (plainclothes assignment) and was used to having a light on my full size P320. Had to clear a trailer one day with my P365and didn’t have a weapon light and realized how convenient a weapon light is. I carry my carry gun in a Divito holster daily.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]
No light, I have a laser.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#17]
It’s 2022, not 1993.  Of course I have a light on my carry gun (minus my P365 which is exclusively pocket carry, something I rarely do).  For me there is zero downside to having a light on my carry gun.  It’s dark half the day and regardless of the time of day, it helps mitigate recoil.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
The only time I'm ever in a place it's so dark that I genuinely can't see is in the woods, where there are zero realistic threats. In town there's a metric crapton of light at all hours. No wml, no night sights.  I do have a wml on my bedside gun, and x300u that will easily illuminate someone without being pointed right at them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#20]
All of my guns with a serious use have weapon lights
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All of my guns with a serious use have weapon lights
View Quote

Same plus backup rigs have lights also.  I also carry a handheld, keep large flash lights in my truck/draws all over the house, and have battery powered lights that plug into my outlets all over my house.  Light is useful for more than just weapons and part of my EDC because the weight penalty far pays for itself if I need a light in the dark.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
No WML, just a Surefire in my pocket
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#23]
TLR7A on G 19.5 with an RMR. I live in the country where it’s dark as fuck at night. All of my defensive weapons have WML’s
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm curious. If you couldn't PID, why did you draw your weapon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes

a few reasons.

I want to be able to PID at the moment before I shoot

I want to be able to assess how effective my shots are and the effect they are having on the aggressor

I want to be able to see what a downed aggressor is doing while I am covering him after shooting him

I want to be able to express to the authorities and a jury that I could tell exactly what was happening and responded appropriately
I'm curious. If you couldn't PID, why did you draw your weapon?

I could think of a number of situations, such as the already mentioned movie theater, where you hear shots somewhere behind you, in a dark parking garage or parking lot where someone shoots another person 10-20 yards away from you, or similar “active shooter” events. There’s a tendency to think of ourselves as being the primary target of an attack or the intended victim, but what if we’re next in line, or a witness to an attack, and now a potential liability to the attacker?

I mount a TLR-7A on any pistol that I carry. It’s light, compact, and doesn’t interfere at all with carrying IWB. I see no downside to having it, even if there’s only a once-in-a-lifetime chance I might ever need to use it. I do need to train with it more.

Another consideration is that an outing that starts off during the daytime may not end as planned. About 15 years ago, I got stuck at work much later than expected and finally arrived home at 11 PM to find that my front door had been kicked in. I normally turned off the lights when I left in the morning and turned them back on when I got home before dark. In this case, the house was pitch black when I got home. I couldn’t take a pistol to work (federal installation), and I called the police and waited for them to arrive and clear the house, but in the meantime, if I had had a pistol on me, standing outside in my driveway, I certainly would have wanted to have a light on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, TLR-7A
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Glock 43X with a TLR6 light laser combo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#27]
No, you don't NEED a light on your edc gun.
But...
You also don't NEED an edc gun.

You choose to edc a gun as a tool to defend your life. Many people choose not to.
Some may choose a weapon light to add functionality to their edc gun, and many others will choose not to.

We all make our own risk analysis.

I personally choose to carry a gun with a light.
It adds a very small amount of extra size and weight to the already cumbersome weapon, but adds an additional functionality that MAY help save my life.
Plus it has on/off switches so I'm not forced to use the thing if it's not advantageous to me in the situation. I will not carry one of those lights that comes on as soon as you grip the gun.

I also pocket carry a handheld light.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]
The bigger question is how many of you actually train with your WML?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#29]
My bedside 92a1 wears a x300. My typical edc oz9 or airweight j frame do not have lights but I carry a surefire stiletto with them. I have a tlr7a and a tlr1 hl on some pistols as well. I very rarely carry them though on an edc. Prior law enforcement work I carried them on my duty weapons. But now I’m just not using them. If I go to Kansas City or St. Louis I do carry my glock 34 with x300 iwb. But where I live I am not out after dark. In fact I really don’t go anywhere much after dark. I don’t even use my red dot equipped pistol anywhere but the range since I have not been training with it. I just stick to iron sights and situational awareness to keep me out of trouble. Somehow I’m still alive, even after years of traveling the entire country including some rough areas.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup, although it's been a few years since any low light classes.

I even do drills with a handheld light in my hand during the day quite often.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Negative.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#32]
TLR-7As on both my Glocks
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have taken an intermediate/introduction course and advanced low/no light course.  It was probably the most fun and probably learned the most of any course I have ever taken.  I learned more than just white light manipulation but also solo clearing of a structure which I really hope I never have to do alone.  The next course I want to take is a rifle low/no light course.  I also have a second pistol that is setup exactly like my carry pistol I use to practice manipulation and dry fire practice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think a lot of people like to slap doodads on their gun, but never actually become proficient with them. They'll come up with 87 reasons to put a WML on their EDC, but none as to why they don't make time to train with it. I know you train and take your gear seriously. That's just not the case with many, though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people like to slap doodads on their gun, but never actually become proficient with them. They'll come up with 87 reasons to put a WML on their EDC, but none as to why they don't make time to train with it. I know you train and take your gear seriously. That's just not the case with many, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree 100% with that.

John Connor in Terminator 4 is not an instructor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I train regularly with weapon mounted lights on pistol, rifle, and shotgun.    Lots of room clearing utilizing WML’s.   We have to qualify as well in low light with WML’s.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I've actually gone out in the woods and done training...light up target, move, relight it, double tap. Amazing how fast the smoke and light obscure everything.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I just picked up a SF XSC for my new Hellcat OSP. It will be my first WML that I will consider for CCW. I have X300's and Streamlights on my 5 G19's, but it's just too much for me to AIWB. Now I just have to wait for my holster to be made.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, TLR6 mounted to a G43X, no laser. It's backup EDC is also getting a TLR6, for my Shield OG 1.0.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I do, you should too.

That said, a handheld light on body carry is a suitable substitute.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#42]
i do not, currently anway, as i would much prefer to use the flashlight independent from drawing the firearm. so for edc a separate Surefire EDC 2 flashlight is in my back pocket and my m11a1 does not have a rail. but might nightstand guns both have WML on them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I keep a TLR-HL on all pistols. I do carry a Micro and Macrostream as EDC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope, SureFire in my pocket.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I could think of a number of situations, such as the already mentioned movie theater, where you here shots somewhere behind you, in a dark parking garage or parking lot where someone shoots another person 10-20 yards away from you, or similar “active shooter” events. There’s a tendency to think of ourselves as being the primary target of an attack or the intended victim, but what if we’re next in line, or a witness to an attack, and now a potential liability to the attacker?

I mount a TLR-7A on any pistol that I carry. It’s light, compact, and doesn’t interfere at all with carrying IWB. I see no downside to having it, even if there’s only a once-in-a-lifetime chance I might ever need to use it. I do need to train with it more.

Another consideration is that an outing that starts off during the daytime may not end as planned. About 15 years ago, I got stuck at work much later than expected and finally arrived home at 11 PM to find that my front door had been kicked in. I normally turned off the lights when I left in the morning and turned them back on when I got home before dark. In this case, the house was pitch black when I got home. I couldn’t take a pistol to work (federal installation), and I called the police and waited for them to arrive and clear the house, but in the meantime, if I had had a pistol on me, standing outside in my driveway, I certainly would have wanted to have a light on it.
View Quote

This place needs a like button.

The only situations/suggestions I can add is that you might need to be doing something with your non firing hand and still require a light on the threat, such as calling the police.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thinking of getting some kydex holsters for my carry guns that are setup for lights, of course this means they are largely model specific for the type of light I'm carrying.  But I'm thinking, do I need to have a light on my EDC gun?  Its not like my house where I would need that if I'm investigating something on my property and don't want to shoot a family member or whatnot.  If its so dark I'm having trouble seeing and I'm out on the street I'm probably going to use that to retreat from the situation.  It will make the gun heavier as well.  Do you find a weapon mounted light a key part of your EDC setup?
View Quote

My three most likely carry guns on any given day all have lights.   My G19C has a TLR1HL.   My G43x and G48 both have TLR-6s on them.    I like having a light on a carry gun.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yes.  Any gun I carry gets a wml.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was recently introduced to Grant Cunningham's take on likelihood and plausibility and how it applies to the equipment we use and how we train. If I have a WML on my EDC, it goes without saying that I would need to train with it to be proficient in its deployment. For me, this would fall to the left of the plausibility line talked about by Grant. Devoting training resources to becoming proficient in something I will likely never use isn't productive. Obviously, opinions on this will vary greatly. Take a look at Grant's article and decide for yourself if you can apply it to your situation.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2018/05/a-new-way-of-looking-at-likelihood-and-plausbility/

View Quote

Statistically you could likely apply that same logic to a carry gun....assuming you don't live in the hood.  

Personally I put a light on any pistol I carry or might use for serious use outside of the range.  It's dark 50% of the time, more in the winter and I can't always predict when the quick trip to the store with the wife in the afternoon turns into a 3 hour ordeal and it's dark by the time we get out.  I carry a small flash light too but prefer the idea of being able to use my gun & light at the same time and still have a free hand available if needed.

I don't disagree with your concept on training, if your going to carry a gun with a light you should train with the light....and I do regularly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Statistically you could likely apply that same logic to a carry gun....assuming you don't live in the hood.  

Personally I put a light on any pistol I carry or might use for serious use outside of the range.  It's dark 50% of the time, more in the winter and I can't always predict when the quick trip to the store with the wife in the afternoon turns into a 3 hour ordeal and it's dark by the time we get out.  I carry a small flash light too but prefer the idea of being able to use my gun & light at the same time and still have a free hand available if needed.

I don't disagree with your concept on training, if your going to carry a gun with a light you should train with the light....and I do regularly.
View Quote
If you need a light, how did you know you needed to draw your gun?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you need a light, how did you know you needed to draw your gun?
View Quote

For most of us, we spend a great deal of time around vehicles.

There are a metric shitton of situations where you have light in one place and not another around vehicles.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top