Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:13:11 AM EDT
No its not me.  My brother is looking to buy his first gun for CCW.  I've made reccomendations to him, but he's looking to be more on a budget than I do.  I carry a Kimber CDP Ultra myself.  Any suggestions on caliber, gun, etc?  I told him to at least try and get a .40 cal, and he shot my HK USP that he really liked.  I told him a 9mm would be fine too, if it was a budget issue.  My concerns are that he get something that he can carry, Safe (he has two kids and this is a first for him), reliable, and relatively fun to shoot.  Feedback appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Check "CDNN investments" website.  They have good bargains on used Sigs.  They are police trade-ins.  Also have him look at CZ weapons.  Sturdy, well made and reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
budget...
ammo.  9mm, 38 spl are by far the best prices.
then 45
40 SW is very expensive to shoot.

autos.  i equate function directly to price.
your ultra is a great gun.  he can get a Springfield XD for about half that.
there are lots of used S&W autos around for about 350.00
the Springfield entry level 1911 can be found for 350-400
i have heard good things from the Norinco 1911.

revolvers...
you can get a used "j-frame" at a gun show for about 250.00-300
i have seen some police trad'ins 38 specials for 250.00

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at a 9mm, if it's his first gun.
Really cheap to shoot, and he'll need the practice.
With good ammo, it's as good for SD as a .40.

I'd look at an XD9, or grock, and pick whichever is most comfortable to him.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd suggest he stick with the 9mm or .38 just because they are easier to shoot well enough to be useful.  Plus cheap enough he would actually be able to afford to practice enough.  If he is competent with mechanical things an auto is fine, if not, a revolver.

As for the safety aspect with small children...  He must observe all the rules of gun safety and think about the bullets path through the house and into the other rooms of the house when handling the loaded handgun.  i.e. pointing the gun in the direction of the kids playroom is not a safe practice even though you are in the master bedroom.  Store the gun in a quick access safe if he needs access to a loaded gun.  The gun has only two places it may ever be:  on his person or in the safe.  Never "I'll set it on the bathroom counter while I use the john" , because eventually it will be forgotten and the kids will get access to it.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for a .38 revolver or a 9mm automatic.  .38 ammo isn't as cheap as it should be, but its very easy and cheap to reload if he's really on a budget.  Should be able to find a nice used wheel gun in the 250 range.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate everyone's input.  Another option that has come up is getting a Polish Makarov p64 which would be about $150.  I personally consider getting one just for the hell of it, but how about for a first gun?  Also, he mentioned someone offered him an "Beretta clone" for $100?  What is it?  I'm trying to get him to avoid getting a gun just b/c it's "cheap".  I know cheap is a relative term, but I use it to mean I got a good deal on something, not that it's a "cheap gun".
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I appreciate everyone's input.  Another option that has come up is getting a Polish Makarov p64 which would be about $150.  I personally consider getting one just for the hell of it, but how about for a first gun?  Also, he mentioned someone offered him an "Beretta clone" for $100?  What is it?  I'm trying to get him to avoid getting a gun just b/c it's "cheap".  I know cheap is a relative term, but I use it to mean I got a good deal on something, not that it's a "cheap gun".

you got to ask why is it a good deal.  because the guy is hurting for money?  because the gun is a POS?  because he tried to do a little home gun smithing and screwed up the gun.

the Beretta clone is most likley a Taurus.  it's a steal at 100.00

you can get a nice gun like a Glock for 350-400.  it will work when you have to save your life.
why trust your life to a $100.00 gun that may or may not work when you need it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you got to ask why is it a good deal.  because the guy is hurting for money?  because the gun is a POS?  because he tried to do a little home gun smithing and screwed up the gun.

the Beretta clone is most likley a Taurus.  it's a steal at 100.00

you can get a nice gun like a Glock for 350-400.  it will work when you have to save your life.
why trust your life to a $100.00 gun that may or may not work when you need it?

Exactly!  I feel assured that when I pull the trigger on my Kimber or my USP, that it will shoot, and cycle, the next rounds.  And I just found out the gun is an Egyptian Elwan for $100.  Never heard of it, and my gut says run.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
.38/357 revolver , I know its not sexy. I know more than a few people who have carried for years and tried alot of different types of pistols and still return to the 3" barrell .357/38
It conceals really well and it is simple to operate. BANG everytime you pull the trigger and no safety to fumble with.

Taurus seems to give good value.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Everything I've read about the "Polish Mak P64" is not good.  The only thing it has in common with the "real Mak" is the 9x18 cartridge it fires.

I think a surplus gun is the wrong choice for a first gun.  If you aren't a tinkerer that knows something about gunsmithing, I think you will be better served with a gun that has a factory to back you up in case you run into problems with the gun.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Hard to go wrong with a .38 S&W J-frame in any flavor for a first carry piece.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Pick up a Bulgarian Makarov. The ammo is not to expensive $6-10 for 50 (fiocci works great). The gun is simple, RELIABLE, and well made. It is not the most powerfull thing around, but very easy to carry. I think it is an ideal first CCW. I agree that getting a cheap gun can get you a peice of crap, but the Makarov is an exception.  I have had NO FTF/FTE in thousands of rounds out of mine. As a side note, all the edges are rounded which makes it comfotable to carry and keeps it from getting snagged on clothing. I'm all for nice guns, but I can't drop 4-600 on each handgun I get. Makarov.com has lots of stuff for the mak as well. (I also think a small revolver would work great, my first was a charter arms undercover in .38 spl.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
a used 9mm or .38 would be a good starter gun.  Best to teach him basic pistol skills too. How cheap of gun does he was to risk his or his families life on?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top