Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2020 2:26:32 AM EDT
Thoughts on carrying a back up pistol/wheelgun of the subcompact variety (small of back, ankle, etc) in addition to your primary EDC/CCW piece? I've never carried more than 1 pistol at a time for EDC (G19 with extra magazine, sometimes x2 depending on situation), but I have pondered the thought/viability/necessity/etc of possibly carrying a smaller pistol in case the primary is inoperable/inaccessible/etc. I'm no ninja operator or even a cop walking the beat who might actually need a BUG. Just wondering if that is overkill, or does anyone actually go that route, or have found themselves in a situation where a secondary pistol would be handy.

Thanks in advance y'all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
LCP.  Not my favorite as a first choice but as a back up it is very lightweight and dependable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#2]
J frame revolver
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Primary carry IWB 3:30 XD-9 if I carry a BUG it’s in my left front pocket and it’s a LCP II in a Desantis pocket holster
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been carrying a back up for years. Right now its a P3AT in the weak hand pocket. I always ask people who only carry one if you are in a fight or gun hand is injured can you reach your gun with your weak hand? If you can't you need a back up gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I nearly always carry a BUG. Mostly a Glock 43 in a Raven VGII at 11 o’clock or in an ankle holster. Occasionally, I’ll carry a P32 in a pocket when clothing limits my options.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm of the opinion that if you want a second pistol, it should be identical to the first.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. I'm thinking a small .380 is going to be in my future. Probably an LCP II or S&W Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
LCP's are cheap and small enough to stick anywhere.

I carry a J-Frame as a backup. It's easy to get out of my front pocket. I carried a Glock 26 for a while but the square shape makes it harder to get out of a pocket.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
LCP2 in the pocket.
Sometimes it's my primary
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Since I switched over to detectives I started to carry a P-32 in my left rear pocket.  My thought process is my primary holster doesn't have as many retention devices so if I have to defend a gun grab I have something to go for with my support hand.  It also doubles as my jogging gun during lunch breaks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been carrying a back up for years. Right now its a P3AT in the weak hand pocket. I always ask people who only carry one if you are in a fight or gun hand is injured can you reach your gun with your weak hand? If you can't you need a back up gun.
View Quote
That's why I carry appendix.  I can draw with my left hand from a right hand aiwb holster.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm of the opinion that if you want a second pistol, it should be identical to the first.
View Quote
Many mindsets are like this.

If you are already shot, lost your weapon, or have been physically injured by an incident, it needs to match the size or be larger.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I only ever carry a BUG when I have a revolver as my CCW, as I suck at reloading with a speed strip or speed loader.

Usually a J frame in a pocket or an S&W 3913 carried cross draw on weak side.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. I'm thinking a small .380 is going to be in my future. Probably an LCP II or S&W Bodyguard.
View Quote
+1 on the SW Bodyguard.  Its very concealable for pocket carry and oddly very accurate for me.
Although most of my BUGs are the smaller variety that still uses the same spare mags i.e. P226/P224 and lately the 365XL and 365 (I need to change the trigger to the flat trigger to match the XL though)
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
23+ years in law enforcement with over 18 now in plain clothes.

The j-frame Airlite .38 on the ankle loaded with 135gr Gold Dot in a 5-Shot leather ankle rig is my BUG of choice

Occasionally it’ll be a j-frame appendix for the BUG

Usually a Glock 34 with Surefire X300U and a spare mag or two for ops.

Glock 19 gets carried when I need to really hide it.

Off duty is usually a G48 and a spare mag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought it would be like a nickel-plated .380
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#17]
You carry a G19 and one sometimes two reloads and are considering also getting a 2nd gun?
Where do you live... Syria?

Seems like a lot of overkill to me.
but admittedly I hate carrying tons of shit and live and work in the suburbs.

Usually I only have a G19 w/aplc (no reload), and a pocket knife on me for SD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I've carried a J frame in an ankle holster as a Probation Officer and a Glock 22 as a primary. I now carry a Glock 42 in an ankle holster if a go to a higher risk environment. Since retiring and becoming a JP, I carry a Glock 43X full time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I also carry a G22 & a 442 as a BUG.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess I'm the opposite. If I'm going to carry a second pistol it needs to be different enough to be worth it. Like if I were to CCW a Glock 30 for people/black bear I might have a Ruger LCR .22 for vicious dogs, skunk, and opossum.

Otherwise just carry more mags.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I can only speak about carrying a BUG from a LE perspective.

The concept for me and for what I have taught younger officers isn’t covered by more mags.

-Catastrophic failure of your primary ( usually because it got hit with incoming rounds) which isn’t uncommon

-Primary dropped or lost in a struggle because your hands aren’t working correctly ( see above)

-Ability to arm a second person

-Last ditch.... anything not covered already, out of ammo, whatever

For me the type of BUG is whatever you feel most comfortable with. I recommend a small light revolver.  I don’t want to bump a mag catch getting in and out of a vehicle or jumping fences. I don’t want the slide to have to function for shot 2-3 etc... because this gun may be used in a struggle or while pressed into the target. Of course revolvers have limitations as well like capacity and reload speed but everything is a trade off. Carry location is also a consideration and I prefer ankle and in a very secure holster. You don’t want it coming out when you don’t expect it, you want it as light as possible and you want it in a spot where you can get to it to draw it and/or protect it in a fight

Just some of my experience....
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can only speak about carrying a BUG from a LE perspective.

The concept for me and for what I have taught younger officers isn't covered by more mags.

-Catastrophic failure of your primary ( usually because it got hit with incoming rounds) which isn't uncommon

-Primary dropped or lost in a struggle because your hands aren't working correctly ( see above)

-Ability to arm a second person

-Last ditch.... anything not covered already, out of ammo, whatever

For me the type of BUG is whatever you feel most comfortable with. I recommend a small light revolver.  I don't want to bump a mag catch getting in and out of a vehicle or jumping fences. I don't want the slide to have to function for shot 2-3 etc... because this gun may be used in a struggle or while pressed into the target. Of course revolvers have limitations as well like capacity and reload speed but everything is a trade off. Carry location is also a consideration and I prefer ankle and in a very secure holster. You don't want it coming out when you don't expect it, you want it as light as possible and you want it in a spot where you can get to it to draw it and/or protect it in a fight

Just some of my experience....
View Quote
When I worked the street I carried two guns (AMT 9mm BU on my vest) and sometimes a 3rd (a Bauer 25 in an extra cuff case).  Civilian now and I carry one gun, extra mags, tac knife.  Keep a shotgun in the trunk.  Not criticizing OP just trying to figure out what type of threat you're anticipating...  if you work in a check cashing business, hell yeah..carry three.  If your work doesn't require a high level of persec, why are you in situations which make a backup gun attractive?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When I worked the street I carried two guns (AMT 9mm BU on my vest) and sometimes a 3rd (a Bauer 25 in an extra cuff case).  Civilian now and I carry one gun, extra mags, tac knife.  Keep a shotgun in the trunk.  Not criticizing OP just trying to figure out what type of threat you're anticipating...  if you work in a check cashing business, hell yeah..carry three.  If your work doesn't require a high level of persec, why are you in situations which make a backup gun attractive?
View Quote
Agreed.... when I'm off duty I avoid the areas I work...

I still always carry but I'm comfortable with a Glock 43X and a spare mag when I'm not working
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I still always carry but I'm comfortable with a Glock 43X and a spare mag when I'm not working
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't think of a time when I carried more than one gun off duty. Working plainclothes? 2 guns. Working UC? One gun. Off duty? Rarely even carried spare mag on my person, and sometimes it was with a 1911 or before that 5-6 shot revolvers.  Why? Because investing in situational awareness yields higher returns. Guys I know that had off duty shootings usually fired 2-3 rounds. If you get into a physical altercation with someone that's your match with 2 guns on you, can you keep both secured?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I'm the opposite. If I'm going to carry a second pistol it needs to be different enough to be worth it. Like if I were to CCW a Glock 30 for people/black bear I might have a Ruger LCR .22 for vicious dogs, skunk, and opossum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see where you're coming from: different tools for different jobs.  Makes sense.  Sometimes I carry a second pistol that is smaller to my first one.

However, the context of this thread is for a back up gun, which is generally understood as a last ditch if one runs out of ammo, loses possession of the primary pistol, or has a catastrophic failure.  That is not the same concept as a second pistol for a different use.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#26]
The LCR in .22 would work fine as a backup, I just don't really need or want a backup. Being a smaller caliber it could possibly serve two roles - a backup to my primary, or a primary for pests.

Catastrophic failures of well maintained modern combat grade sidearms are more often than not magazine related. If your CCW goes down you probably just want to strip that mag, clear it and reload. Method of carry and training will determine if it is faster to go to a backup or clear a malfunction.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Eh that's a little much.  Same manual of arms isn't a bad idea.  Say a Glock 19 and Glock 42/43
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Eh that's a little much.  Same manual of arms isn't a bad idea.  Say a Glock 19 and Glock 42/43
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were to find yourself in a position where you need to use a BUG, would you rather it be a G19 or G42?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you were to find yourself in a position where you need to use a BUG, would you rather it be a G19 or G42?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rather it be an M240, but since that's not practical, I'll stick with a G43 as the BUG to my G19.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd rather it be an M240, but since that's not practical, I'll stick with a G43 as the BUG to my G19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I expected him to come back saying that he'd rather have an AR, but yours is better.  It is a very good point, and I agree that practicality is an important factor, as is comfort.  Finding that right balance will obviously vary for different people.  If I asked ten people what practical means to them, I'd probably get ten different answers.  You say it's not practical, and I say that it is.  We would not necessarily be incorrect because our sense of comfort may not be identical.

Considering the monotonous reliability of Glocks, I'm much more inclined to carry spare a magazine.  That more than doubles my capacity.  If 15 rounds did not end the fight, I'd much rather have another 17 rounds than a smaller pistol with six or seven rounds.  An extra magazine is also much lighter and more comfortable than an extra pistol.  I am not a statistician, so I have not run hypothetical analysis on this, but lighter and more capacity seems like a win/win.  However, I recognize that there are many situations where a second pistol is a good idea; my point is not to argue against that.

Here's a related post I made on another thread:

Some considerations:

a) When is the last time your G19 failed? Chances are thousands of rounds ago with crappy ammo if ever. If that is true, then why a BUG at all?
b) Unless you're working under cover where concealability is crucial, I suspect you want the G43 as a quicker option than a magazine change. If you get into a situation where you need a BUG, would you be willing to trade one second in speed over double the magazine capacity?
c) If the answer to the above is yes, then why not carry two 19s (3-4 and 7-8)? Still gives you a BUG without a reduction in capacity. I suspect if you ever need a BUG, you'll be glad to have all the capacity you can have.

I know people who carry two identical pistols, and have even tried it myself. It's not uncomfortable, I just thought it was overkill.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against the concept of a BUG as I think it has its place.

ETA: I also tried a similar concept to what you're considering, but with two 19s. It was a lot more comfortable carrying them in 4 and 8 then one in 4 and one AIWB.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I expected him to come back saying that he'd rather have an AR, but yours is better.  It is a very good point, and I agree that practicality is an important factor, as is comfort.  Finding that right balance will obviously vary for different people.  If I asked ten people what practical means to them, I'd probably get ten different answers.  You say it's not practical, and I say that it is.  We would not necessarily be incorrect because our sense of comfort may not be identical.

Considering the monotonous reliability of Glocks, I'm much more inclined to carry spare a magazine.  That more than doubles my capacity.  If 15 rounds did not end the fight, I'd much rather have another 17 rounds than a smaller pistol with six or seven rounds.  An extra magazine is also much lighter and more comfortable than an extra pistol.  I am not a statistician, so I have not run hypothetical analysis on this, but lighter and more capacity seems like a win/win.  However, I recognize that there are many situations where a second pistol is a good idea; my point is not to argue against that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some considerations:

a) When is the last time your G19 failed? Chances are thousands of rounds ago with crappy ammo if ever. If that is true, then why a BUG at all?
b) Unless you're working under cover where concealability is crucial, I suspect you want the G43 as a quicker option than a magazine change. If you get into a situation where you need a BUG, would you be willing to trade one second in speed over double the magazine capacity?
c) If the answer to the above is yes, then why not carry two 19s (3-4 and 7-8)? Still gives you a BUG without a reduction in capacity. I suspect if you ever need a BUG, you'll be glad to have all the capacity you can have.

I know people who carry two identical pistols, and have even tried it myself. It's not uncomfortable, I just thought it was overkill.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against the concept of a BUG as I think it has its place.

ETA: I also tried a similar concept to what you're considering, but with two 19s. It was a lot more comfortable carrying them in 4 and 8 then one in 4 and one AIWB.
I carry a spare magazine for my primary pistol 100% of the time in addition to the BUG. I over 100k rounds through my G19s and G43 and trust them completely. I carry a BUG for many more reasons; if I lose the primary in a fight or maybe it gets hit by a round? Also, I mostly keep my back up where it’s accessible with either hand. It can also be used as a hand off  gun such as to my wife or son who are both capable shooters but often don’t/can’t carry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I think cops carry (and fairly often use) BUGs because their primary gun is OC'd. Bad guys know that's a cop, they see the big Safariland holster on their hip, and can block their draw when grappling with them. Much harder to block the draw of a gun when you don't know where it is.

For regular people... you can do it if you want, but it's a lot of extra weight and bulk. If that much lead is going back and forth, maybe body armor and a reload would be better than a BUG.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I almost always carry a backup mostly because when I am driving I can't reach my primary. The primary rides OWB (Full size 5in pistol) at 4 oclock. Backup (S&W 640 ) is AIWB.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Got a Seecamp 32 on the way, as backup or primary, as needed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I almost always carry a backup mostly because when I am driving I can't reach my primary. The primary rides OWB (Full size 5in pistol) at 4 oclock. Backup (S&W 640 ) is AIWB.
View Quote
640 prob weighs more than your primary? Or is that just the centennial that was a boat anchor for its size and certainly by today's standards? I did like how my 640 centennial handled hot loads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I seldom carry a second gun on rare occasions:
1) going somewhere I think I could need it. I solved this by not going those places anymore
2) wearing a heavy coat. small gun (38 usually) in the outside pocket
3) snake country hiking. This is the most common for me, the 38 is full of snake shot as a stand by, but we were in rattler/cottonmouth territory. I still want my regular EDC, but don't want to dick around with a first round snake shot or anything like that. I know many people say leave them alone, but having both my wife and I attacked by snakes in the past I prefer to not risk it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top