Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2013 4:47:35 AM EDT
I am trying to decide what holster to get my wife to use while she is running.  She currently has a Kahr CW9.  I am looking at something along the lines of the Smart Carry or Thunder wear type holsters.  I have also thought about a fanny pack or Safe Packer system.   Let me know what you guys are using that works well for you.  

I have not ruled out purchasing her something smaller to carry also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 4:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Need pic's to make determination, I would hate to recommend the wrong holster    
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 5:28:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Belly band style perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Belly band style perhaps?

Actually its getting warmer here FINALLY and Ill be headed outdoors to do some longer runs.  The Belly band Idea was what I was considering for my XDs.  I carry a small pack for GU Gels and water but trying to unzip to get your weapon out in an emergency is a way to get killed
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I started with a smartcarry.  Actually wore out two of them.

However, I did have to modify them quite a bit by removing the center stitch, cutting down the material to actually form fit to the gun, and that caused the extra magazine pocket to be removed.

The end result was something that was very comfortable, even in tighter jeans/slacks, and still had a fast draw.

But, the smartcarry uses a denim material and it wears out rather quickly.

Now I'm useing a customized 3Speed holster.  I had the owner keep the thin plastic on the back panel so my thumb would always find the grip, and remove all the excess material that you see in his videos.  He even had a layer of padding behind the gun... Man that hoster was bulky and hot.

The 3Speed uses higher quality material, and it is holding up excellently.  It should last three or four times as long as the smartcarry.  I am not seeing any wear after extensive use over 9 months.
I use it with either my M&P 9c or the J-Frame Airweight.  These guns disapear with tucked in shirts and I can perform all kinds of daily tasks and know for certain that they are absolutely concealed.
I could never say the same about my CompTac Spartan with a gun specific belt... Clips showing.  Gun printing when I reach high or low.

I did order the pistolwear holster, to see if it offered any advantages.  It didn't.  The material is a foamy type stuff and the holster fully encases the gun.  That means you REALLY have to get your fingers right in between the material to get at the gun, and that is AFTER your undo the clasping system they have.  ( No problem cutting that thing off though. )

Might want to look into the 3speed holster for your running requirements.  I'm pretty sure you are likely to use it in other parts of your lifestyle as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
the 3 speed looks like a lot of bulk and a lot of gun to be running with.  I know every one is different but I dont even like carrying water on 10+ Mile runs I only do it because I have too. I want something small, light, nonexistant.

When Im worrying about weather my socks are gonna chafe me I gotta think anything but a VERY small gun is going to suck.  I probably wont even carry unless Im doing a 10+ mile run...You get far enough out you never know who or what you are going to run into.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about running, but I use a belly band for dog walks and cycling.  It starts to dig into my hips around 30 or so miles on the bike, but other than the slight discomfort, it is super secure.  I appendix carry for the dog walks and move the gun position behind my right hip for cycling.  

When I was running (for a short lived period of time) I looked into hip water bottle carriers that had a center pocket for the gun and one or two bottle pockets but I could never find one that would fit the gun and I did not have the belly band at the time.  Something like this.  I always thought it would be a inconspicuous way to carry while running, rather than a fanny pack, which also tends to bounce around.

Admittedly, I always wanted to try the compression shorts with the built in holster, but the price always made me pause.  Here it is: Concealment shorts

A note on the belly band though ... when I wear it to work, it tends to ride up from my hips to my midsection, which I imagine might occur while running, unless your wife has it secured to her waist rather than her hips.  The great thing about belly bands is that they are super versatile, in that you can position them in a variety of places depending on the use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Lightweight is what you need for a running gun. I tried to run with a G29 and it did not work.
A s&w 340 pd air weight or a LCP or a sig .380 would be best. I had an underarm tank top holster.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
the 3 speed looks like a lot of bulk and a lot of gun to be running with.  I know every one is different but I dont even like carrying water on 10+ Mile runs I only do it because I have too. I want something small, light, nonexistant.

When Im worrying about weather my socks are gonna chafe me I gotta think anything but a VERY small gun is going to suck.  I probably wont even carry unless Im doing a 10+ mile run...You get far enough out you never know who or what you are going to run into.

If you think it LOOKS like a lot of material, wait until you strap the stock model around your waist and tuck a shirt into your pants...  Way too much, stuff there.

I was really glad 3Speed's owner worked with me to seriously re-design a custom one for me.

I haven't run more than a 5k with my set up.  Running just isn't my thing.  I admit that my suggestions may not work for longer runs, but I wonder if the Body Glide products would help any in those cases.

Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I find myself watching the first 1/2 of the M&P Shield video over and over.

Shield Pistol-wear video
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Pistol Wear as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a glock-19 in an uncle mikes soft holster placed in a well fit generic fanny pack. I run with it just behind my left hip. I am a smooth strider and honestly don't notice it on the short 3-5 mile runs I do. If you are a bouncy runner it will probably flap around too much. My setup is also not real fast to deploy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been running with a Blackhawk fanny pack for years( 20+). I have practiced drawing and firing with this rig. A couple years ago I went on my usual 4 mile run-About a mile and a half into my run(note: a mile and a half from my house) a pit bull charged through it's invisible electric collar type fence I did not see it until it was crossing the road at me. I remembered reaching for the opening lanyard and then the gun going off. I had hit the pit in the head. It wheeled back and collapsed. I had blood splatter on my leg from the impact on the dog and it's point blank range. The pit was DRT. The dog owner was a complete @#%&. The sheriffs office came and made a report. Good shoot=no problem. I was carrying a Kahr PM-9 with 124 gr hydroshoks. I almost took my Keltec p-32 for weight convenience that day but stuck with the 9mm. Have not carried the p-32 since then.
My Blackhawk has since been replaced with a Voodoo Tactical fanny pack ($30). (the zippers worn out on the Blackhawk and they would not replace it cause it's so old) and now I run with my glock 19.The rig is kinda big but I can carry a real gun, cellphone and wallet. I keep it snug with the pouch in front. I have completed 12 mile runs with it without issues.
Lessons;
1 Carry enough gun
2 be proficient with your gear.
3 bad stuff can happen close to home.-I have run this route for the last 16 years or so without incident until that day.
Bill
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Pistolwear works well for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Last summer my family took our annual trip up north. We are both triathletes and often run when on vacation. The area is somewhat desolate with miles between houses. My wife decided to take a run by herself for some reason ( we usually run at the same time). It was a short run and I thought there would be no problems.

After watching her off I became uncomfortable and with my teenage son decided to check up on her. We drove a couple of miles west and spotted a white utility van parked on the side of the road with my wife standing 50 or so yards behind it on the same side of the road. As soon as the van driver saw me he took off.

We drove up to my terrified wife and she ran to the truck. It seems the van driver had come from the opposite direction and had turned around and was waiting for her on the road. We are grateful we made the decision to check on her.

She now carries a belly band with a Ruger  .380 whenever she runs or bikes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Last summer my family took our annual trip up north. We are both triathletes and often run when on vacation. The area is somewhat desolate with miles between houses. My wife decided to take a run by herself for some reason ( we usually run at the same time). It was a short run and I thought there would be no problems.

After watching her off I became uncomfortable and with my teenage son decided to check up on her. We drove a couple of miles west and spotted a white utility van parked on the side of the road with my wife standing 50 or so yards behind it on the same side of the road. As soon as the van driver saw me he took off.

We drove up to my terrified wife and she ran to the truck. It seems the van driver had come from the opposite direction and had turned around and was waiting for her on the road. We are grateful we made the decision to check on her.

Thank goodness you followed your gut instinct.  Glad it turned out well.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank goodness you followed your gut instinct.  Glad it turned out well.

Thanks. We talk about it quite often. The thought still scares me. Hence the belly band.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pistolwear works well for me.

I just got a PT-1. It's awesome. Now, if I could just get out and run with it more often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top