Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:54:47 AM EDT
Galcos tend to get poopoo'd on around here, and i would say that over all DeSantis has a much better reputation (i only mention desantis becuase thats the only other brand of holster of this type that i also own, and actually the one desantis i have is a turd compared to my 3 galcos, but thats not what im writing this thread about).

So i picked up 2 holsters yesterday, a SSS Side Snap Scabbard, and a KingTuk.  the KingTuk is straight up a Supertuck knock off, but i dont know what you call it when the knock off is superior quality to the original, but ill get to that in a bit.

First, the SSS.  this one is for a G26/27/33.  I wanted to wear it at 3oclock, but under an extemely light material tshirt, it prints pretty good.

but around the back to 5 oclock, its disappears just fine.

here it is on my hip at 3:

... and at 5:

I have to say, that my 3 Galcos are all very well made.  the quality of the leather and the craftsmanship, i really think they deserve a better than i feel "their average" reputation is.

the leather is stiff, yet supple.  i can press my thumbnail into the surface just a tiny bit, and after that its as stiff as can be.  the inside is the rough side, and if this one is anything like my other Galco, it will polish out with use where the firearm contacts the leather.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The KingTuk, out supertucks the supertuck, IMO.

funtionally, they are identical.  i mean cmon, were talking about a slab of leather with a piece of molded kydex on it.  its not rocket science.  there is a small design divergence, which ill cover in a minute.

the KingTuk, which im wearing at 5oclock, disappears just fine.  again, the tshirt im weaing is super light fabric, and tried to print against anything as much as it can.

and it otherwise rides exactly like you would expect:

here is a supertuck side by side with the kingtuk.  here is where i feel the kingtuk leaves the crossbreed behind.  the leather/material and workmanship used in construction are far superior.

again, the leather on the galco is supple on the surface, but stiff underneath like you would expect a holster like this to be:

the backside is nicely finished with a smoothside stiched to the other, and then the cut edge has some sort of coating to keep it from wearing.

the jury would have to be said to still be out tho, but as i wear it thru the summer, we will see how the smooth leather does against your skin.  the supertuck may take the lead back if it turns out to be a slip vs non-slip battle.

now, the thing i like about the supertuck better, is the clip attachment design.  the supertuck has the single screw holding the clip, and this allows the cant angle to be easily adjusted, and the single screw just automatically adjusts to the new angle.  the kingtuk as seen above, has 2 screws holding the clip, which prevents the clip from changing angles.  

this pic was taken with the clips lined up vertically, and for me, the default cant angle of the kingtuk is going to work fine.  i think that if one wanted to change the cant on the kingtuk, you would just remove the upper screw on the clip and it would function like the supertuck.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the review and comparison. I'm trying to decide on an IWB holster for my new G19, and both of those were models I was considering.

One question: when worn at the 3:00 or 3:30 position,  do these two IWB holsters fill up some of the empty space between your body and pants behind and in front of the holster? The current holster I have now leaves big, empty spaces. (Imagine sticking a brick inside your pants at 3:00.)

I'd like something that will fill the voids, so to speak, and conform to my waistline, so that the holster is more comfortable and the belt carries it better.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I noticed is the kingtuk's clips have an offset bent into them to create some space to make it easier to carry the holster with the shirt tucked in.

Can you take a picture showing the difference in the thickness of the leather backings?

The Glaco Kingtuk looks like a really high value holster for what they cost.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review and comparison. I'm trying to decide on an IWB holster for my new G19, and both of those were models I was considering.

One question: when worn at the 3:00 or 3:30 position,  do these two IWB holsters fill up some of the empty space between your body and pants behind and in front of the holster? The current holster I have now leaves big, empty spaces. (Imagine sticking a brick inside your pants at 3:00.)

I'd like something that will fill the voids, so to speak, and conform to my waistline, so that the holster is more comfortable and the belt carries it better.

you mean if you wear a supertuck or kingtuk at 3oclock? yes, there is no room for bricks or anything else and it molds in nicely.

acutally, my 1911 in a supertuck blends nicer at 3oclock than the galco SSS OWB pictured above!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

honestly, im not trying to dethrone the crossbreed supertuck here.  the supertuck is tried and true, and you absolutely cannot go wrong with a supertuck.  im in no way implying that a supertuck is uncomfortable to wear for hours on end.

AND... on top of that, im hesitant to just recommend the Galco (technically over the supertuck) becuase ive not owned it for even 24 hours yet and havent even worn it out of the house yet.  honestly until ive worn it thru summer time the jury is still out... but it sure looks nice :)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed is the kingtuk's clips have an offset bent into them to create some space to make it easier to carry the holster with the shirt tucked in.

Can you take a picture showing the difference in the thickness of the leather backings?

The Glaco Kingtuk looks like a really high value holster for what they cost.

the galco clips have the offset bend in them, the supertuck achieves the same thing with a padded spacer between the clip and the leather backing.

as requested, and as you can see, the Galco is uh... substantial.

i have high hopes that this will turn out to be a great holster, as HighAltitude noted for only $59.99 retail this is a real bargain (again, as long as it turns out to be a great holster to wear all year long).

and just incase anyone asks, my belt is a crossbreed, and its one awesome belt.  i wear it even when im not carrying (only time i dont wear it is with dress pants), its so far superior to any other belt ive owned.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
oh, and one other great thing i forgot to mention about the KingTuk, is that it can carry any standard frame glock in any size (so that excludes .45's, and 10mm's)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks man!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I found that I wanted my Kingtuk to cant a little father forward than standard, but if I lowered the front, I couldn't reholster the gun easily because the to of the kydex was below my belt line in the front. I ended up raising the rear of the holster and only using one screw on the rear clip. My only concern now is that the lower edge if the rear clip (that is hanging before the edge of the holster) is going to wear a hole in my pants. I just made this adjustment 2 weeks ago and am still in the "testing" faze, so I may cut and then smooth the lower edge of the click.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found that I wanted my Kingtuk to cant a little father forward than standard, but if I lowered the front, I couldn't reholster the gun easily because the to of the kydex was below my belt line in the front. I ended up raising the rear of the holster and only using one screw on the rear clip. My only concern now is that the lower edge if the rear clip (that is hanging before the edge of the holster) is going to wear a hole in my pants. I just made this adjustment 2 weeks ago and am still in the "testing" faze, so I may cut and then smooth the lower edge of the click.

cool! you should post a pic of your modification!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Good info, thanks.  I've owned several Galco holsters over the years and have always found them to be well made and functional.

It's too bad, at least for me, that companies like Galco and DeSantis, who have every blue gun ever made, would restrict their new models to the 1911 and the newer polymer guns only.  But it's a business decision and since Crossbreed is willing to cater to people who still carry older model guns, we aren't completely out in the cold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top