Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:52:04 AM EDT
new to this, i have no clue on whats acceptable for carry purposes. this is what i have..can it be improved upon?..no jokes about the chubby body guys
i will have a browning hi-power to carry..the holster i have is a bianchi  Model 83 PaddleLok Hip Holster. it feels pretty comfortable but is there something better?..i like the retention device on it but do i really need one?
i'm really looking for ideas. i'm also thinking about the wilderness belts as all ive got now is a cheapo walmart type belt. from what ive seen picture wise on the web it seems none of the models they use are, shall we say..chubby?
here are some pics..and yes..i do wear kinda baggy shirts to be comfortable

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Gun too large, holster too large. Advise compact or sub-compact with inside waistband holster
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a couple observations from my experience.

1.  Yes, get a good belt.  A good belt will at least help even a crappy holster.  I've read good things about Wilderness.

2.  Paddle holsters generally carry lower and stick out further from the body than other designs.  This is not as much of an issue with the type of shirt you wear, but if the wind blows your shirt up or you reach for something with your strong hand the weapon/holster will be exposed.

3.  Retention is a good thing depending on your activity.  Some holsters have more passive retention (tension screws) rather than the lever type.

Personal preference:  Kydex holster, inside the waistband.

Sad fact:   most folks that have carried for any lenght of time have a box of holsters that didn't work
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gun too large, holster too large. Advise compact or sub-compact with inside waistband holster

I never had an issue carrying a HP.  +1 on holster and iwb

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the good belt, I wear a Bulman leather UGBS (urban gun belt slim), downside, spendy and a bit of a wait.

For holsters I prefer Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for IWB, and since I'm in Alaska, I can get by with OWB carry and use a MS BN55, for my commander, which works well for my HP also.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just a couple observations from my experience.

1.  Yes, get a good belt.  A good belt will at least help even a crappy holster.  I've read good things about Wilderness.

2.  Paddle holsters generally carry lower and stick out further from the body than other designs.  This is not as much of an issue with the type of shirt you wear, but if the wind blows your shirt up or you reach for something with your strong hand the weapon/holster will be exposed.

3.  Retention is a good thing depending on your activity.  Some holsters have more passive retention (tension screws) rather than the lever type.

Personal preference:  Kydex holster, inside the waistband.

Sad fact:   most folks that have carried for any lenght of time have a box of holsters that didn't work

I agree with all of this. For you, OP, a good IWB holster will probably make that BHP disappear. Get a good gun belt...I use an inexpensive Uncle Mikes instructor belt that has worked well for me for on- and off-duty carry.

Paddle holsters are made for one thing: convenience. Like the above poster stated, they stick out further than a purposely designed belt holster. On retention, the Bianchi holster you have was primarily marketed toward plainclothes cops. For CCW, a holster that offers the passive retention of a thumbscrew, or just pinch retention, will probably work for you just as well. Your gun's concealed, so no one's gonna make a grab for it unless it's you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
MTAC holster and good belt.

I can carry the middle gun. 4506 S&W with a semi baggy shirt.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MTAC holster and good belt.
I can carry the middle gun. 4506 S&W with a semi baggy shirt.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/IMGP0749.jpg

+1 on the MTAC. Great holster. I carry a USP .40 full size with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a good belt, it's even more important if you're packing a few extra pounds in addition to the carry piece.

High power is doable, but as mentioned, with a longer barreled handgun you would probably be better with an IWB holster.

Paddle holsters are handy but a really bad idea for concealed carry.  OWB is possible and can work fine as long as you dress appropriately, and may well fit better than an IWB depending on your body shape.  A more compact handgun would probably be advisable if you go with OWB.

ETA:  finally got the pics to load... yeah you really need a better holster.  That one rides WAY too low, will flop around, hit the muzzle and/or butt of the gun on stuff when you sit down, etc etc.  Just a basic kind of pancake holster would be a much better option.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
The BHP is a great carry gun.  I had one and kinda wish I still had it.  

Gun and gear is a very personal thing to put together.  Good belt and holsters are a must, especially with a heavier gun like the BHP.  I use a Wilderness instructor 5 stitch, sturdy and carried my guns very well.  Its not dressy like a beltman belt is, but I dont usually have the reason for a dressy belt.  I do want one when I am done with my weight drop, but I have more time on that.  For a holster, there are lots of options out there, OWB, IWb, kydex, leather, hybrid, appendix, crossdraw, small of back, etc.  Lots of options and it just takes time to find the right way for you.  Most like IWB, behind the hip, especially with larger weapons.  For a nice, steel gun with lots of personality like a BHP or 1911, a leather holster is good, just seems to go together well.

Look through the "Empty Your Pockets" thread stickied at the top here, you will see lots of different holsters, ideas, and setups.  Spend good money and smart money, and get good stuff.  At the top of the General Handgun Discussion Forum, there is leather/holster links and places to buy.  

I use a Smith M&P45C in a Kolbeson Tac-light hybrid holster (well, when it gets here).  Mag carrier on the other side.  I have a Kahr I am going to try appendix, but I dont know how that will work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem is not your pistol, that paddle holster isn't a bona-fide  concealment holster.

You need to find a proper OWB belt holster or IWB holster such as a Super Tuck, M-Tac, among others.

And you'll need a purpose made gun belt as well.

I carry a full size M&P year round under only a single tee shirt in a horsehide Super Tuck on a 1 1/2" Comp tac kydex reinforced contour belt.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The problem is not your pistol, that paddle holster isn't a bona-fide  concealment holster.

You need to find a proper OWB belt holster or IWB holster such as a Super Tuck, M-Tac, among others.

And you'll need a purpose made gun belt as well.

I carry a full size M&P year round under only a single tee shirt in a horsehide Super Tuck on a 1 1/2" Comp tac kydex reinforced contour belt.

Good luck.

+1  The gun is NOT too big.  I know a lot of folks carrying a 5" - 1911.
Bull hide belts on any of the really good leather belts are good to go. - I love my Bull hide belt and it doesn't look like a conceal carry belt. - Wilderness tactical, while it is a good belt, is a dead giveaway to those who carry.        http://www.bullhidebelts.com/BullBelts_ep_41-1.html
I carry a Walther P99 AS in a Crossbreed ST, IWB - All day - We have similar body shapes  Summer in MO gets hot.  - Tee shirt / wife beater and flowered shirt (Don't laugh, the designs hide printing.)

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the gun NOT being too large, you just need a better holster. THAT is not a good holster for hiding a big gun. Pick something rides the gun higher, tighter to your waist and cants that pistol butt forward and up into your love handle, get a stout belt and be good to go. See the Galco Concealable style holster to see what I mean about the high ride and proper cant, or go IWB as others have suggested.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a real gun belt and a better holster, you will notice a difference immediately.

Personally it doesn't matter if the Wilderness-style belt tips off other CCW'ers that I'm carrying... it's under an untucked t-shirt anytime I wear it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it good enough?  You could get away with it for a while.  Since it carries the gun so low you will have to really watch raising your arms.  In the picture with your shirt over the gun it seems like you are shifting your weight to the gun side which causes it to print a little more.

The gun isn't to big.  There are plenty of people who carry a full size 1911, myself included.  If you are willing to carry IWB you will have the least amount of printing and I think that the gun is the most stable IWB.  Regarless of the holster, your belt will make a huge difference.  I use the beltman belts and they are great.

Use what you have until you do some research on ways to upgrade.  What you have isn't ideal but you will be able to get away with it for a short period of time as long as you are conscious of the fact that you need to keep your arms down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I've mentioned this a few times, and folks aren't willing to look outside the box I suppose.

Get one of these belts:
http://www.loopbelt.com/

Use it with your IWB in the following manor...

Put your underpants on, then an undershirt if you want.  Then strap the loopbelt on along with your IWB holster.

Now you can wear anything over the above in total concealment because the clips and holster are under whatever pants you put on.  It doesn't matter if i is a pair of shorts, flimsy sweat pants, jeans, or slacks.
This cheap ass belt doesn't sag with the gun and holster on it because it's snug on your body and not trying to do double duty by holding a bunch of weight without crunching your pants up.
And snug doesn't mean digging into you.

Cops know what belts to look for and so do you.  This loopbelt allows for normal function of an IWB without the tell tale signs associated with expensive outer belts and clips.

I have a worn out high qualiy belt and I replaced it with the above system.

There are other advantages to this system as well.
Remember those threads where guys are trying to figure out what to do with their gun while crapping in a public bathroom?  Non issue now.
How about trying to keep the gun from clunking down on the sink?  Non issue.
It's also pretty nice to change pants without touching the gun or holster.  Keep your outer shirt on and over your gun - as normal for conceal carry - and no one in the room even knows you're carrying.

It's less than $8 and you can't loose by trying it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've mentioned this a few times, and folks aren't willing to look outside the box I suppose.

Get one of these belts:

Put your underpants on, then an undershirt if you want.  Then strap the loopbelt on along with your IWB holster.

Now you can wear anything over the above in total concealment because the clips and holster are under whatever pants you put on.  It doesn't matter if i is a pair of shorts, flimsy sweat pants, jeans, or slacks.
This cheap ass belt doesn't sag with the gun and holster on it because it's snug on your body and not trying to do double duty by holding a bunch of weight without crunching your pants up.

Cops know what belts to look for and so do you.  This loopbelt allows for normal function of an IWB without the tell tale signs associated with expensive outer belts and clips.

Remember those threads where guys are trying to figure out what to do with their gun while crapping in a public bathroom?  Non issue now.
It's also pretty nice to change pants without touching the gun or holster.  Keep your outer shirt on and over your gun - as normal for conceal carry - and no one in the room even knows you're carrying.

This seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem.  You are just adding more bulk for no reason.  If you are really concerned about holster clips then get the velcro versions that go behind the belt.  As for identifying carry belts, my beltman belt looks exactly like a johnston and murphy belt that I used to wear before carrying.  Besides that, the average cop isn't observant enough to notice one belt from the next.  Particularly if you look like an everyday guy because you won't register on their radar as someone who deserves more attention.  Besides that, I carry legally so even if I cross the one cop that can spot a 'gun belt' I could give less of a shit because I am not doing anything wrong.  All of this is only relevant if you are already tucked.  Untucked niether the belt nor the clips are visible.  Keep the system as simple as possible to reduce equipment failure.

If taking a crap in a public restroom or changing pants in a public place is a concern of yours then I suppose this could be a solution to a problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get one of these belts:

This seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem.  You are just adding more bulk for no reason.  If you are really concerned about holster clips then get the velcro versions that go behind the belt.  As for identifying carry belts, my beltman belt looks exactly like a johnston and murphy belt that I used to wear before carrying.  Besides that, the average cop isn't observant enough to notice one belt from the next.  Particularly if you look like an everyday guy because you won't register on their radar as someone who deserves more attention.  Besides that, I carry legally so even if I cross the one cop that can spot a 'gun belt' I could give less of a shit because I am not doing anything wrong.  All of this is only relevant if you are already tucked.  Untucked niether the belt nor the clips are visible.  Keep the system as simple as possible to reduce equipment failure.

If taking a crap in a public restroom or changing pants in a public place is a concern of yours then I suppose this could be a solution to a problem.

You've tried it and found it bulky?

I've been using it for months now and haven't found it bulky at all.  Don't even notice it.

After shipping, it's less than $10 and allows you to securely carry any size gun with flimsy sweat pants.  (I bought two different sizes to see what would work best and the two cost less than $20.)

After coming home last night, my boy follows me into the bedroom while we are talking.  I change from pants to sweats without him seeing a gun.  It's nice that there wasn't a re-directioin of his attention.

Think about it seriously for a second.  You get home from work and change from work atire to casual wear without touching your gun and holster.  (Yes, I realize some folks wear causal to work)
I hear lots of folks coming home, dis-arming, changing clothes, and decide to leave the gun out of their reach because it's just easier.
If you'd rather have the gun under your control, this method makes it easy.

This isn't hearsay.  I'm not passing along somthing that I've heard.  I am not affiliated with that company.

Most Cops in our area don't like people carrying guns.  They start off saying otherwise all the time, but they almost always reveal their true feelings if you get them talkig a bit.
Just because I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal, that doesn't mean they can't and won't waste my time while they give a lecture.
Take a look at the footage showing how the cop just came up and took the gun - for the cop's safety - and made the law abiding citizen listen to his 'opinion', even though he was doing nothing wrong or illegal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkUj7CdOpTI

Anyway.... I have personally carried the conventional way with a high dollar carry belt for a few years now.  This loop belt thing is more comfortable, more versatile, and it cost me less than $10 to see if there was an easier way.

If you've tried it and it doesn't work for you obviously that's great.  At least then you'd be able to back up your observations.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]
No I have not tried it.  Also, I did not say that it was bulky which is to imply that it takes up too much space or that it is an incovenient means of carry.  What I said is that you are adding more bulk which is a fact because it takes up more space than if you carried without it.  If the additional belt helps you with your daily carry then use it.  The problems that you have cited and claimed that this belt fixes are not problems that I have so even though it is cheap it would be a waste for me.

As for the video, it is unfortunate that uninformed cops feel the need to violate peoples rights, give them a lecture and put people in danger by handling a gun they aren't familiar with.  Hopefully the guy in the video took action against the police station so that they teach their guys the rules of their district.  However, it helps to articulate my point.  The guy open carrying walked right by him and a bunch of women were the ones that noticed the gun.  The guy carrying concealed was standing a few feet from the cop and he had to ask him if he had a gun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem. You are just adding more bulk for no reason.

Quoted:
No I have not tried it.  Also, I did not say that it was bulky which is to imply that it takes up too much space or that it is an incovenient means of carry.  What I said is that you are adding more bulk which is a fact because it takes up more space than if you carried without it.  If the additional belt helps you with your daily carry then use it.  The problems that you have cited and claimed that this belt fixes are not problems that I have so even though it is cheap it would be a waste for me.

As for the video, it is unfortunate that uninformed cops feel the need to violate peoples rights, give them a lecture and put people in danger by handling a gun they aren't familiar with.  Hopefully the guy in the video took action against the police station so that they teach their guys the rules of their district.  However, it helps to articulate my point.  The guy open carrying walked right by him and a bunch of women were the ones that noticed the gun.  The guy carrying concealed was standing a few feet from the cop and he had to ask him if he had a gun.

You seem to be changing your position without realizing it, but that's ok.

Remember.  I have experience with both methods.  The thickness of a highdollar belt isn't greater than this belt.  I use the same pants as I did before which means the 'added' bulk you talked about wasn't a factor in any way.  On top of that, the highdollar belts can't offer anywhere near the versatility which this thing does.

Hey if you don't have these carry issues, and you'd rather spend more money on a carry belt - of each color needed - that's great.  But it's a shame you are being so closed minded about something that could really be of value to others.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

no its not.  It urks the shit outa me when people say this.  I carry a commander length 1911 every day(Ed Brown, Kobra Carry) OWB, in a Raven. I just picked up a Wilson railed CQB and as soon as I get a holster that is light compatable, I will carry it with the light attached.   its all how you dress. OP, get a holster that is closer to the body(Raven, CompTac, Crassbreed, ect) and a proper gun belt. Then train with that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This seems like a solution to a nonexistent problem. You are just adding more bulk for no reason.

Quoted:

Remember.  I have experience with both methods.  The thickness of a highdollar belt isn't greater than this belt.  I use the same pants as I did before which means the 'added' bulk you talked about wasn't a factor in any way.  On top of that, the highdollar belts can't offer anywhere near the versatility which this thing does.

Hey if you don't have these carry issues, and you'd rather spend more money on a carry belt - of each color needed - that's great.  But it's a shame you are being so closed minded about something that could really be of value to others.

I really didn't plan to debate velcro gun belts this morning when I woke up but such is life I guess.

I am not changing my position.  My first post is a statement of my opinion.  My second post is an acknowledgment of yours.

As for belts, I already have varying colors and widths of belts from the beltman and I am happy with my method of carry.  So, it would be a waste for me to find another means of carry that costs me more money regardless of the cost.  I am happy that you are happy with the loopbelt.  If someone asks for opinions on means of carry I will continue to recommend a good carry belt and a good IWB holster.  I personally feel that your setup is an extra step that is unecessary and I don't like the idea of securing my means of defense with a belt that has it's only loop made out of rubber.

The best part about the internet is that we both get to have an opinion.  Hopefully the OP is learning something from our minor debate/hijack that will help him in his choice for carry gear because we are clearly set in our ways and have our opinions already.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really didn't plan to debate velcro gun belts this morning when I woke up but such is life I guess.

I am not changing my position.  My first post is a statement of my opinion.  My second post is an acknowledgment of yours.

As for belts, I already have varying colors and widths of belts from the beltman and I am happy with my method of carry.  So, it would be a waste for me to find another means of carry that costs me more money regardless of the cost.  I am happy that you are happy with the loopbelt.  If someone asks for opinions on means of carry I will continue to recommend a good carry belt and a good IWB holster.  I personally feel that your setup is an extra step that is unecessary and I don't like the idea of securing my means of defense with a belt that has it's only loop made out of rubber.

The best part about the internet is that we both get to have an opinion.  Hopefully the OP is learning something from our minor debate/hijack that will help him in his choice for carry gear because we are clearly set in our ways and have our opinions already.

Per the design of the holster, the gun isn't retained other than friction.  As such, the gun is easily removed no matter what belt it is attached to.

That's kinda how these threads go though isn't it?  Sometimes, like this one, it was for the better.

It's cheap.  It's versatile.  It's comfortable.  And it out performs conventional high dollar belts.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
If that is a 9 mm and that is what u want to stay with, a g 19 is a good sze for ccw, but I would recommend a 1911 commander.  There are lots of good steel and polymer pistols avaikable with four inch barrels.  I'd try not to go too small or u won't prectice.  For leather desaNtis' belt scabbard or speed scsrbbard present well. Get w hevy, stitched belt, but I never found good cause to buy expensive "holster belts" becauae they havEn't bEen as stiff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#24]
without reading the whole thread...

get a good IWB holster...mtac, supertuck, etc and a good belt and you are GTG.

welcome to the world of concealed carry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top