Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 6:14:25 PM EDT
This was a first for me. Went out for dinner with the wife and friends and forgot I had slipped a spare P32 mag in the change pocket of my jeans earlier in the day. Eventually went to the mens' room, unbuckled... and watched the errant mag drop to the floor and skid into the next frigging stall.

Played it as cool as possible - I think I just muttered "Bloody hell" - and hoped for the best. No dice - there was an inhabited pair of shoes keeping the mag company. The neighbor was playing it just as cool and slid it back to me. I thanked him, finished the task at hand and made record time leaving. I even took a circuitous route back to the table so I didn't look like I was coming back from the restroom.

Bad enough PR with all participants being apparently cool with CCW but can you imagine if this was Kali or Mass? My apologies to the carrying community. Yeesh.

Yeah. Feeling like a total maroon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I think everyone has some type of moment like that.

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#2]
It happens.  At least you didn't leave the P32 on the toilet lid, as more than one professional has been known to do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
seems like a pretty small thing, compared to some of the other stuff i have just read on here.  sounds like you handled it well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all. Yeah, I'm pretty much over it now but I'm always cognizant of the higher standards we "non-professional gun nuts" can get held to. Now if the restaurant puts up a "No CCW" sign in the next few days, I'll go back to kicking myself....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I dropped a full beta in church!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont feel bad...

A buddy of mine and I treated our wives to a night out at the movies.  He is a big fan of carring SOB with no holster.  While I always carry holstered.

In the middle of the movie there was an ominous "clatter" right behind us.  He looked at me and asked "was that your gun or mine?".  Obviously it was his.  It had slipped out of his belt and dropped onto the floor behind us, slipping thru the crack in the movie theater seats.  And there was someone sitting right behind us.  

I waited for the dude to freak out, finding a pistol between his feet that was not there a moment ago.  

My buddy dropped to the floor as if he was picking something up and ever so carefully reached under the seats to retreive his pistol.  Fortunately the guy behind us was so into the movie he never noticed.  Or at least if he did he didnt say anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I once was in a Taco Bell usiing the urinal with my SP2340 in a IWB holster. When I went pulled my pants back together too button up I accidently pressed the mag release and shot the mag out on the floor  (and damn it made alot of noise bouncing across the tile)  to the shock of the guy who was washing his hands. His eyes got very big and his jaw dropped as I quickly exited and headed for my truck leaving my food behind......
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I had just gotten back from Asscrackistan, and just gotten my Custom CZ-85 back from "The Action Works".  My wife and I were on vacation in FL.  The anti-malaria pills and real food weren't agreeing with me so I rushed to the bathroom in the local mall.  As I was dropping my pants in a stall, I heard a large clatter and thought shit that sounds like someone just dropped a gun, about that time I realized it was mine.  It had slipped out of a kydex holster and slid into the stall next to mine.  There were 3 people in the restroom when I walked in including a 4-5 year old kid.  Never was sure that anybody saw but when I got done and came out nobody would look at me and a guy left the sink when I got behind him to wait in line.  Truly I have never felt more asinine or less like a man than that moment, and yep that put the first scratch in the finish when it hit the tile.  Oh well live and learn.  Now I pull it out of the holster and when I sit down place it  the crotch of my pants.  That way it can't fall and is hidden in case some weirdo looks under the stall.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had just gotten back from Asscrackistan, and just gotten my Custom CZ-85 back from "The Action Works".  My wife and I were on vacation in FL.  The anti-malaria pills and real food weren't agreeing with me so I rushed to the bathroom in the local mall.  As I was dropping my pants in a stall, I heard a large clatter and thought shit that sounds like someone just dropped a gun, about that time I realized it was mine.  It had slipped out of a kydex holster and slid into the stall next to mine.  There were 3 people in the restroom when I walked in including a 4-5 year old kid.  Never was sure that anybody saw but when I got done and came out nobody would look at me and a guy left the sink when I got behind him to wait in line.  Truly I have never felt more asinine or less like a man than that moment, and yep that put the first scratch in the finish when it hit the tile.  Oh well live and learn.  Now I pull it out of the holster and when I sit down place it  the crotch of my pants.  That way it can't fall and is hidden in case some weirdo looks under the stall.

Thats a good idea... and that way you also dont leave it laying there when youre done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I was at the range and the clip on my mag carrier broke so I slid the mag in my back pocket.  No biggie. I stop off at a gas station to buy a soda.  The lady says $1.25, I reach in my back pocket and pull out a full mag of 45 and my wallet.  She just looks at me.  I dig in my front pocket for a quarter and pull out some change, 2 45 round and a couple of 45 empties.  She looks at me and says, "Do you know something I don't"?   To which I reply, "the're after my precious bodily fluids" She laughed.

I ran into a girl I used to know on the sidewalk.  She runs up and opens her arms as to give me a hug.  When she reaches around, she hits the grip of my Commander, and exclaims, "is that a gun?"  The odd thing is people did not even bat an eye.  Just kept walking.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Back when I still carried Glocks I would carry a spare mag in my inside jacket pocket.  Well at the mall durring the Chrismas shopping season I was bending down to pick up a bag my wife dropped and the mag fell out and clattered across the floor.  Right in the center isle of the mall!  People everywhere!  I quickly walked over, picked up the mag and put it back in my pocket.  Everybody was looking.  I felt like a bigtime looser!  Now I carry spare mags either in zipper pockets or in dedicated mag carriers.  Also, bottom of the mag cracked!  Not the baseplate, the bottom of the mag body.  That pissed me off as it was a hi-cap Glock 15 mag!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#13]
You're lucky it didn't play 15 round pick up with you when it hit the ground. At the range, a guy had a old non metal lined Glock magazine, and he dropped it while it still had some rounds in it, and the base plate broke off. The spring and the ammo went in about 20 different directions.
It can happen in any autoloader. There has been a problem recently where Beretta 9x mag base plate lips have been failing under load and throwing up rounds.
My badge fell off one time while running in the rain and skidded about 50 yards (it seemed) right into a little drainage hole and dropped right into the lake.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a good idea... and that way you also dont leave it laying there when youre done.

Yeah I'd sure as shit forget it if I set it on the toilet.  I don't know how people can use off body carry ie Day Planners, purses......If I did that I'd have guns scattered across the nation from forgetting them.

Fizassist,
Glad I can amuse you.  I guess it's funny now but it sure as hell wasn't funny at the time
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I may be in the minority here but I have to say that if you carry a gun an choose not to use a proper fitting holster or mag carrier to tote around your gun and gear you should feel like a dope when it all comes plummeting to earth.

There is a good reason why there is a large and thriving holster industry, it’s because a holster and a mag carrier are required tools if you plan on wearing a gun at any length. While “Mexican carry” may still (for whatever reason) be popular it is by far the dumbest and most accident-prone way to tote around a gun and, IMO, a close second is the litany of cheap one-size-fits-all clip-on nylon holsters one finds being pushed at all the local gun shops.

Faulty holster mishaps are one thing and are sometimes a reality of life, but choosing not to properly secure your gun and gear is just dumb.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was at the range and the clip on my mag carrier broke so I slid the mag in my back pocket.  No biggie. I stop off at a gas station to buy a soda.  The lady says $1.25, I reach in my back pocket and pull out a full mag of 45 and my wallet.  She just looks at me.  I dig in my front pocket for a quarter and pull out some change, 2 45 round and a couple of 45 empties.  She looks at me and says, "Do you know something I don't"?   To which I reply, "the're after my precious bodily fluids" She laughed.

I ran into a girl I used to know on the sidewalk.  She runs up and opens her arms as to give me a hug.  When she reaches around, she hits the grip of my Commander, and exclaims, "is that a gun?"  The odd thing is people did not even bat an eye.  Just kept walking.  

This is the funniest one yet. I can actually picture you fumbling for a quarter with all that ammo in your hands.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I am a firm beleiver in good leather or whatever material you choose. You can still have mishaps so to speak but the chances it will happen are alot lower if you use proper equiptment. I stated  all of this from a trip to talk with a local gunsmith. With that said I was at shop not to far from home talked with the gunsmith when a older gentleman that worked there comes out of the shitter with his .38 dripped wet. He pocket carried without a holster and when he went to drop his drawers it flopped into the bowl. The gunsmith had to tear it down and clean it up for him. I have always had good holsters ever since...

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy cow, you guys ! I finally took the plunge and had Lasik done - been trying to lay off the peepers a bit and pretty much forgot I even posted this until tonight. Not only do I feel a bit better about my own goober move, I'm also cracking up over some of these stories!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
was jogging on the island of palm beach.  think kennedys, trump, people richer than him.  nice bike trail along the intercoastal waterway.  humped past a couple and made it almost 50yds before my g17 fell out of my zippered fag bag.  tell me again why glock uses plastic sights?  rear one was destroyed.  i just scooped it up and kept running.

when i 1st got my g17 i had the old nml mags.  me and my future ex brother in law go to the boonies to try out our new toys.  i did a quick draw from aforementioned fag bag (can't do it at the range).  base plate snagged.  17 in the dirt next to rofl x bro in law.

the older i get, the more expensive my leather gets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top