Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2010 6:43:39 AM EDT
I have a new crossbreed, and I'm wondering if any of you use anything on the leather. I Have the horsehide version, and sweat alot. I also know that leather can degrade over time if not cared for. Do you use anything to keep the leather in good shape?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my horse hide Supertuck in December and haven't thought of rubbing anything on it.

My sweat from this summer didn't seem to do much to it (and I sweat like a whore in a church sauna).

The part that actually touches my skin is black now, but it's still maintaining it's rigidity (well, at least the rigidity that it had to begin with).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Neutral shoe polish or a floor wax (I love Johnson's Past Wax) is a good way to protect it.  I've been using Obenauf's LP oil as it doesn't soften the leather like a lot of products do, but will keep the leather from drying out and cracking.  It's also good for leather straps on shoulder rigs.  It keeps them from hardening and cracking.  Use sparingly of course, don't soak your holster every week with the stuff. An application or two of neutral or paste afterwards will be very helpful also. Stay far far away from mink or neatsfoot oil.  Those will turn your formed holster into a soft mess, and can actually cause the leather to break down.  Too much use of saddle soap will do the same, but it will take many applications before it happens.  As long as you only use it when needed you'll be fine.  Don't clean your holster every weekend.
Wax based products are the best bet for anything leather. They seal and protect, but don't cause the leather to soften anymore than it does from use.

Does the wax treated leather leave any residue on your skin, or clothing?  I may try some of the Obenauf's LP oil if I can find it.  How does it feel to the touch when it's treated?  Does it have the waxy feel, or does it feel like original?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was wondering about oils and waxes leaching out onto you skin or the gun...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top