Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2011 8:07:22 PM EDT
Just received this  from Classic Arms. Too bad about the "BAR CODED" receiver, kind of spoils a otherwise very nice receiver. Mag fit is a little loose for steel mags but a snug fit for waffle's so a universal fit, the catch had to be filed a little to help release the mags properly.  Slanted brake  wouldnt tighten  all the way down, i dont think it was timed correclty, i replaced it with another brand and it fit nice. Bayonet is going back. I was expecting a laminated stock but got a hard wood, its growing on me,  im starting to like the salty look it has. Didnt get a sling as advertised . Bore was real dirty, didnt help it sat for along time as indicated by the low serial number but the bore cleaned up nice. Sights are straight and a quick bore sighting shows its sighted pretty good.   Overall a solid rifle with good looks.
Enjoy the pics.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all about the Bakelite.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
1MRBEAN, your rifle looks nice!  A hardwood furniture rifle gives it that early "old school" appearance as that's what was first used before the laminated stuff.

From the photos, it honestly looks like the buttstock and handguards might be Bulgarian.  Without seeing the full bayonet in a photo, I think it's also Bulgarian.

There's a seller on Gunbroker that sells the actual early hardwood Polish milled furniture and fat checkered wood pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice gun.  I like mine too, but I haven't shot it yet.

Guess those early serial numbers had those mill marks on the receiver.  Mine is completely smooth in that area.

I also have hardwood stocks.  I just sanded them down and re-stained them.  They look much nicer.

I didn't get a sling either (Apex has the polish slings), but at least you got a cleaning rod.  My bayonet was in pretty good shape, but I did have to file on it a tiny bit to get it to fit over the barrel.  

Overall I'm happy with it.  Hopefully it shoots as nice as it looks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Guess those early serial numbers had those mill marks on the receiver.  Mine is completely smooth in that area.

I also have hardwood stocks.  I just sanded them down and re-stained them.  They look much nicer.

I didn't get a sling either (Apex has the polish slings), but at least you got a cleaning rod.  My bayonet was in pretty good shape, but I did have to file on it a tiny bit to get it to fit over the barrel.  

Not sure if the milling marks are on the early rifles only, ive seen serial numbers in the 800 to over 1,000 with the same marks, i think its one of those hit or miss things.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
How does it shoot? I've been wanting one of these for a while.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How does it shoot? I've been wanting one of these for a while.

Hope to go to the range this week if it every stops raining.  I had to give the barrel mouth a chamfer to act as a bullet ramp .I noticed when hand cycling rounds the tips would hit the barrel edge before going into the chamber .I havent heard of others complaining but i figure it would help.   I also had to adjust the mag catch lever for a smooth release. Some mags are a nice  fit while other mags have a loose wobble .  (steel EG mags) .. Bulgarian waffle mags fit real nice.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if the milling marks are on the early rifles only, ive seen serial numbers in the 800 to over 1,000 with the same marks, i think its one of those hit or miss things.  

My S/N is approx 1700, and there are no tool marks.  I received laminated wood, and a bayonet that had no corrosion.  Fit and finish were good - I did stain / refinish the wood to match itself as the 3 pieces were wildly different from each other.

I purchased through Henderson Defense, and paid extra for a "certified" AK - which I thought had more to do with canted sights.  It was an extra $50 if I recall correctly.  I also paid a little premium over buying from volume discounters like J&G who were selling these for less than Henderson at that time.  Bottom line was my 60's Polish Milled cost me $80-$100 more - the s/n was higher - no tool marks or canted sights and bayonet was in nice condition.  Although my receiver may be cleaner, I doubt it looks like the ones did in the 60's.  Mine is almost too perfect, which screams new, precision milling.

I think those "barcode" marks, as you call them - may be hit or miss - but overall the newer receivers seem to be cleaner - yours has character and that really isn't something to be upset over - it's just an AK and shouldn't look too perfect, or frankly it's authenticity may be suspect.

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top