Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/20/2021 9:00:22 PM EDT
My son purchased a California compliant KR9 because it was the only model in stock. He is trying to un-California the folding stock mechanism (we live in Florida). There appears to be some sort of metal sleeve tack welded over the spring mechanism inside the receiver. Can someone please explain to me the process of removing the sleeve so the mechanism can actually fold? I know ARs but don’t know the AK platform and he is having trouble locating someone local that can work on it. We obviously don’t want to muck it up!

Thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears that it may just be a taper pin that is hammered in, if you tap out the stock hinge pin you can access more of the inside of the stock mechanism. The pin is removed by tapping it from the grip to push it out the top, top cover must be open. I’m curious also, and what if any parts or springs are missing or simply free if that pin is gone. They report thst the stock mechanism is proprietary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The pin you are referring to was welded in place with a very small tack weld. I drilled it out and my son bought a new pin. There is some sort of sleeve that appears to be welded over the spring mechanism inside the receiver that prevents the button from being depressed.

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Any luck w/this? Currently in the same position and wondering how to get my stock to fold...
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So made some progress on this-
Remove the 5.5mm stock pin. Look inside the receiver and you will be able to see a pin in the sleeve that covers the Stock lock (where the spring should be so you can depress it). You will need to support the frame and use a good hammer/punch to knock that pin out. There is enough room that it will drop free and then you can slide out the stock lock and remove the sleeve. I am currently at a standstill b/c I now need a Stock Lock Spring & Stock Lock Pin, but Kalashnikov said they wont sell them to me and I need to reach out to a gunsmith. Hopefully my local shop can source them. All in all much easier than I had anticipated. Hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation...

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If anyone still needs this info, the stock lock spring & pin can be purchased as part of a side folding kit from PSA or any other online AK parts dealers, happy to say my stock now folds like it is suppose to...
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top