Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:35:14 PM EDT
So what's with this Century recall of Galil rifles?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't find anything about it on the Century website. Can you provide more details?

DDubbb
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Called AIM to order one and they said Century Recalled them. Called Century in Vermont and they said they had to fix a problem on them but wouldn't say what.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
One problem these guns have is the firing pin. There are two types of Galil firing pins, the old style and the new and improved style. The Century Golanis use the old, obselete firing pins which make slam-fires with commercial .223 much more likely. This could very well be the reason for the recall...its a pretty serious deal if you are like me and shoot 98% .223 and 2% 5.56. All of my 5.56 M855/M193 is for SHTF use only and the only time I shoot it is when I aquire odd lots of it at gun shows and stuff. For example, I bought 360 rounds of Malyasian M193 and 2 SA 5.56 battle packs at the last gun show, and I burned through all but 1 battle pack.

Other than this, I haven't heard of any problems with the Century Galil. They seem like great guns, equivalent to an IMI-IDF issue...Afterall, the parts are all the same with the exception of the barrel. I fully intend to buy a Galil, but I am torn between Century/Elite/ORF. I will def. wait and see what happens with all this before I buy a Century.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Just called Century and they said it's the firing pin. they will be replaced with a spring loaded one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#5]
That is very interesting. I mentioned the lack of a firing pin spring several months ago when I noticed that my CAI Galil did not have one and no one seemed to think it mattered at the time. Will they be sending the springs out or will I have to send my gun back?I hate to the thought of sending any gun back to Century, especially one that functions well in its current state. I'll try to give them a call today and find out what the deal is.

DDubbb
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I shoot military loadings and Wolf through mine and have not had a problem with slamfires; even feed it some handloads with CCI small rifle primers without a problem too.

I think I will hang on to mine instead of sending it back because it is my luck that someone at Century would mess up a perfectly fine working rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The number for Century is 800-270-2767. They will send  UPS to pick up the rifle with a prepaid label . There have also been discussions of  headspacing issues with the Century/ORF Galils, I suspect that has something to do with it as well. The recall is voluntary, and I can understand concerns about sending a working rifle back to Century for repair. If you don't want to send back your Century Galil at least check the headspacing to make sure it is safe.

Hopefully they will offer the new bolts as a spare parts item. When I got the rifle I attempted to buy a complete bolt from Sarco as a spare but got a bare bolt the first time, then a complete bolt with a broken firing pin. the second time. I finally returned that for credit toward a complete ARM kit. I felt bad that such a nice parts kit was not going to use so I bought another ORF receiver to go with it and now I am in the process of building a second Galil. My advice would be don't buy parts kits, they are evil and will manifest themselves into rifles eventually.

DDubbb
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Having Century build a Galil is like trying to train monkeys to build BMW's.

It was a bad plan from the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks gentlemen for the info on the Golani.  I saw it in the Am. Rifleman, and bought one. Had a Galil years ago but sold it.  My rifle came in last Friday, so I guess it has the new pin in it ...Will call Century Monday, What kind of trouble should I expect from them?  Will let you know what happens..Again thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Got the letter today that century wants both my galil's back to repair them. My question is what is the best way to pack the guns for shipment? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks,Jtrout.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I can guarantee you all that Century won't be installing brand new IMI spring loaded bolts in rifles returned to them.  They will probably drill out the existing bolt to fit it with a spring of some sort and a new made (probably too soft steel) firing pin, engineered by Century and produced by the lowest bidder .  I wouldn't send it back either, as it would seem to be asking, no begging, for trouble.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top