User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 9:55:56 AM EDT
My R4 clone.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/179666/R4orgery_1.jpg

It started life as a well used Action Arms Model 372
Now it has a new barrel and South African furniture, but its in deparate need of a good refinish job.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good, but I think you need a better pic.

I may have to start a single thread that everyone can post pics in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  Looks great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great!  Get yourself a R4 sling from Capeboer here on this forum or the FAL Files.  I've bought from Andre (Capeboer) before and he's for real.

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84027

As far as refinnish, man, every picture I've seen of a real R4 has had that well-worn battlefield pick-up look to it, but Lauer Custom Weaponry, Century Gun Works, Arizona Response Systems, Arizona Expert Arms, and Investment Grade Fireamrs all do extremely good black finishes which in alot of ways would be more durable than the original black enamel paint that the Afrikanners put on them originally.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I noticed you removed the butt pad on the new Style composite stock. Mine seems a little long as well. Did you remove it as a lenght thing? Why did you change the barrel anyway?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looks great!  Get yourself a R4 sling from Capeboer here on this forum or the FAL Files.  I've bought from Andre (Capeboer) before and he's for real.

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84027

As far as refinnish, man, every picture I've seen of a real R4 has had that well-worn battlefield pick-up look to it, but Lauer Custom Weaponry, Century Gun Works, Arizona Response Systems, Arizona Expert Arms, and Investment Grade Fireamrs all do extremely good black finishes which in alot of ways would be more durable than the original black enamel paint that the Afrikanners put on them originally.

I was under the impression that R4 & R5 where finished in a Brown Teflon......not black enamel!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Other than being made in South Africa, what are the differences between the R4 and the Galil?  I'd like to know all the differences, not just the "it has a longer stock" info that you usually hear.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well some of the differences that I can think of off the top of my head: On the R4. The butt-stock is longer . Nylon is used in place of steel in the stock tubes, Has a 'Recoil Buffer',the front site base was/is apparently weak on the galil, which a hard rap would fracture the site. The south africans strengthened this. Plastic foregrip (which I think is a tad bit longer). No carry handle.........

Anyone care to add or make corrections?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The R4/R5 series also has a lightening cut on the right hand side of the receiver that the Galil does not have.

I'm also pretty sure the selector switch on the left side of the receiver works in the opposite direction than the Galil does, but I am not positive about that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The R4/R5 series also has a lightening cut on the right hand side of the receiver that the Galil does not have.

I'm also pretty sure the selector switch on the left side of the receiver works in the opposite direction than the Galil does, but I am not positive about that.

Yea.... thats correcto on the selector!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Also front sight hood is larger and front sight post is thinner.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Does the use of the the nylon stock tubes and lightening cut reduce weight enough to notice?  Is the R4 any lighter than the Galil?  

Ross
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ross,
The synthetic R4 stock alone may be a little lighter than the Galil, but, as far as the overall weight of the weapon you can't tell the difference (it's still a heavy rifle). I like it because it is about 1" longer than the standard Galil stock (which fits me better), and I like the looks of the R4.

IPSC_GUY,
I had the barrel changed because it was very pitted from the gas port to the muzzle and worn throughout. It was still pretty accurate out to about 50 yards but beyond that the accuracy got really bad. It would leave keyholes in paper targets at all ranges with every bullet weight I tried, so I think the rifling wasn't spinning the bullet enough anymore to keep it stabilized.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want info and pics of R4's etc, drop me a line.
I dont have any R versions but I'm in the process of aquiring a LM5 and a friend of mine has all three LM's.

The latest civilian (LM) guns to come from Vektor have R4 bodies as they have the three position safety as found on the R's.

This last batch was made from all spares I hear.

Even better if someone has a Galil we can do a proper comparison by swapping pics and measurements.

Ron.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]
R4orgery,

Derek over at AZEXARMS can do a factory re-finish (IMI Style colors black/park) and it is awesome. He has done two of my pre-ban GALILS that where new but over the years earned some storage dings and shipping dings so I just wanted them done like the factory. He did them all the way down to the Scope Mount milled out srea to remain parked! Nice weapon there!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you want info and pics of R4's etc, drop me a line.
I dont have any R versions but I'm in the process of aquiring a LM5 and a friend of mine has all three LM's.

The latest civilian (LM) guns to come from Vektor have R4 bodies as they have the three position safety as found on the R's.

This last batch was made from all spares I hear.

Even better if someone has a Galil we can do a proper comparison by swapping pics and measurements.

Ron.

LM4 or 5 would work for me!

Green with envy

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top