Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 1:46:50 PM EDT
Just got it today, FINALLY. Been wanting a Galil for quite a while, and I finally got one today.

18" AR, no bayo lug, folding stock, dim night sights (will replace eventually), flash supressor. Judging by the gas piston, I would guess that it hasn't been fired much at all. Finish is good, except for some light handling scratches.

Here is the initial pic, my Mom stole the camera earlier, so it might be the weekend before I take a few of my own.

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Whooo-Hooooo, and there was much rejoicing heard!!!

Very cool, looks like the one I sold two weeks before the Feinstein amendment went into the Crime Bill of '94 for $1K.

Enjoy that thing!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
FINALLY...a Galil moderator with a Galil
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I am working on cleaning it up now. I noticed that the bolt has no brass marks in it. The gas piston and gas tube are both new looking. Don't Galils usually leave brass marks on the dust cover near the ejection port?

Is it really possible that I have bought an unfired Galil????

EDIT- I am almost certain that it is unfired, I checked the gas block and the flash supressor and the both are clean, w/o any evidence of having the finish removed.

WOOHOO
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The bolt would show scratches if it was fired or dryfired (cycled) much. You have found a  treasure. But there may be a reason it is in unfired condition.

I've never been able to escape shooting the .308 Galil without it drawing blood. Smashing my trigger finger was another pain. The pistol grip has a special little edge added on the left side that traps skin and has an appetite for blood. :(

My cheekbone would be red and brused if a whole magazine was fired. That gun really pounds. I never tried it with a recoil buffer, but I think a Blackjack test is in order.

BTW, it's been 11 years since I fired it, but I still remember it well. Kinda like the time we loaded up a Charter Arms Bulldog with the equivalent of maximum 44mag loads. You don't forget those experiences.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, the brass bounces off the charging handle.  It'll chip the enamel finish and leave brass there.  It'll banana your brass, but a Buffer Technologies buffer on your spring guide will slow it down to just a light dent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally pulled out the Galil to shoot today. I haven't fired it since 1992!

I installed a Blackjack black buffer and a padded cheekrest(CR140A)from DSA. I was not as battered as I used to be after 50 rounds, but it still has an outrageous amount of kick for a .308. I brought along a VEPR .223 for comparison and shot at 50, 100, and 200 yards.

Accuracy wise the Galil kicks the VEPRs butt. I can't tell you what a scope would do, but with open sights the blur of the rear pistol sight they put on AKs like the VEPR ruins any chance of accuracy. The Galil has a peep rear, one of the best I've seen, and is as easy to sight as an AR-15. My groups were too large to bother getting out a ruler for, but the difference is noticeable. The Galil trigger kept surprising me, as it is a bit different and light, and groups suffered, but not as bad as the blurry VEPR. It is so nice to have a perfect front sight image to lay on the target without a blurry rear to spoil it, especially elevation wise.

The only other sore spot with the Galil is the trigger. The outer pad of my trigger finger was getting the shock treatment, and if I had fired hundreds of rounds I probably would have lost all feeling and had to go the ER. No kidding! I think it can cause permanent nerve damage!

For the most part I was sighting-in today and getting used to the trigger. I want try it at 300 next, but will still stick to open sights. A bit more practice and I might just get good at shooting it.

Robert

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top