Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2021 6:53:49 AM EDT
Hi fellas, just got myself an M76 Valmet in .223 but it didnt come with an original magazine, the previous owner modified a Circle 10 mag to work but ill be honest, I dont think it will work great. Anyone here have an idea of current commercial .223 AK mags that might be good options to try and make work? Im thinking of some Galil Orlite mags, Polish .223 mags (I think there are two different types out there) some AC Unity mags and I also want to try one if those bakalite mags with the .223 follwers. Ill get a real Valmet mag down the road but 500 bucks for ONE magazine is to steep for my blood right now. Anyone else have some suggestions? Would appriciate some other guys opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I no longer shoot my Valmet; she is now a collector’s item.

Even back in the (pre-ban) day the mags were scarce and there were a couple of different methods for modifying other AK mags to work; basically the “ramp/tongue” on the mag has to be ground down to match the catch/latch geometry of the Valmet.

I did 6 or so and they worked but I can’t remember exactly what the host mags were.
View Quote

Were those mags plastic or metal? I bought my Valmet as a collectors peice too but id like to shoot it every now and again. Figured a few plastic mags would be an easy way to mess with and find one that works
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a topic at the AKfiles titled How to convert Weiger mags for Valmet. It is extremely detailed. Just google it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a topic at the AKfiles titled How to convert Weiger mags for Valmet. It is extremely detailed. Just google it.
View Quote

Last I saw the shit show that is the files is inaccessible if you do not have an account.

As for Valmet mags, they are a little unique. Tony Remore (hope I spelled that right) of Tromix used to do mag conversions. Some.of his mags are probably still floating around. I'd heard of ((10)) mags being converted but I do not know what it takes.

$500 for a Valmet mag now?!?! That's nuts! I know where about a dozen are but none of those will ever be sold off. That Valmet used to be run hard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to own a couple Valmets, had a few factory mags but obviously tough to find, I found a converted Bulgarian waffle 5.56 mag and just bought more and converted them myself with some dremel work.
I’m sure some google searches would bring up the area needed, I don’t really remember the exact area of the mag unfortunately

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Here ya go…..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/info-on-bulgy-circle-10-mag-mods-to-valmet-76/92-162941/

https://www.theakforum.net/threads/modifying-223-ak-mags-to-fit-valmet.7486/

Hope I’m allowed to leave this link
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem with Valmet mags (as explained in a recent post on this forum that I think is dead on) is that fact that the on a factory gun, the front of the mag body is higher than on most other .223 /  5.56 AK mags so on the valmet mag, it essentially acts like a bullet guide that is built into the mag itself.  Everyone knows that galil mags fit but you get a FTF with a pushed in cartridge every 6-9 rounds (ask me how I know).

That said, if done right, as noted the Bulgarian (10) - 5.56 AK circle ten AK mags are great for conversions.  This is what Tony Rumore (Tromix) used to use as a base.  I have several converted mags which work perfectly (yeah I shoot my valmets -  they are great shooters).  The mags themselves are not cheap but will get you where you need to be.  Requires modding both the front pf the mag and the rear lug / back of the mag to work but I have mag dumped 30 rds with no hick-ups (which has never happened with a galil mag for instance).

I have factory mags which I acquired years ago but I dont like limitations so I had considered adding a bullet guide to the valmet receiver but after using the converted mags I am all set.  Now if someone could devise a solution for M78 /  .308 mags...
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Zastava M85/90 steel mags can be modified by shaving the front of the mag above the front locking lug. The Zastava mags have the same built up front as the Valmet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
can you post some pics of the steel m85/90 Mag? Particularly the front.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hi fellas, just got myself an M76 Valmet in .223 but it didnt come with an original magazine, the previous owner modified a Circle 10 mag to work but ill be honest, I dont think it will work great. Anyone here have an idea of current commercial .223 AK mags that might be good options to try and make work? Im thinking of some Galil Orlite mags, Polish .223 mags (I think there are two different types out there) some AC Unity mags and I also want to try one if those bakalite mags with the .223 follwers. Ill get a real Valmet mag down the road but 500 bucks for ONE magazine is to steep for my blood right now. Anyone else have some suggestions? Would appriciate some other guys opinions. Thanks.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/-/92-78468/?page=1
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 6 or 7 ((10)) mags that work great in my M76. One is a little bit too snug but all of them do function w/o any issues.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here ya go…..

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/info-on-bulgy-circle-10-mag-mods-to-valmet-76/92-162941/

Hope I’m allowed to leave this link
View Quote

That was me posting the conversion way back in 2005-06 or somewhere in that era.  I still have both.  A couple of different flat files were used in the conversion process and make sure you got some 223 dummies to check feeding position (just because it rocked in doesn't mean it feeds the round properly).  Bulgy 556 waffle mags worked for me and nothing else.  I tried Weiger but it did not feed correctly.  If you have any questions feel free to ask here and I'll try to answer the best I can.

ETA - BTW Valmet M76 is 223 chambered so shoot only the softer 223 commercial loads.  I remembered shooting a magazine worth of Fed XM193 and the extractions/ejections were very violent
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Even back in the (pre-ban) day the mags were scarce and there were a couple of different methods for modifying other AK mags to work; basically the “ramp/tongue” on the mag has to be ground down to match the catch/latch geometry of the Valmet.

I did 6 or so and they worked but I can’t remember exactly what the host mags were.
View Quote

Yep. I got a Valmet M-71s with the plastic stock shortly after Interarms began importing them. I had the 30 rounder which came with it and felt lucky (after months of waiting) to lay my hands on a 15 round mag. People who didn’t live thru that era don’t realize these types of rifles weren’t all that popular. I lived in a major SW city and only two gunshops bothered to sell Valmets which meant they had at most ONE on the shelf-usually not as they tended to sit for a while before selling.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Probably Norinco 5.56 mags IIRC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably Norinco 5.56 mags IIRC.

Well, Valmet mags fit in my ATI galil receiver. Norinco 5.56 don’t. I can see what doesn’t fit where, next time I’m messing with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, Valmet mags fit in my ATI galil receiver. Norinco 5.56 don’t. I can see what doesn’t fit where, next time I’m messing with it.
View Quote

Galil =/ Valmet so I don't think we can go on that. The feed angles are completely different too.

I havnt tried Norinco mags in a Valmet. Mostly just modified Weiger mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
File this under “FYI”.
I got rid of my Valmet M-71 decades ago but I still have the ARM I purchased in the late 80’s. Years and years after I sold my Valmet I found the spare 15 round mag for it and it ran perfectly in my Galil. I also used to have a pre-89 ban Chicom 90 round .223 AK drum that also fed flawlessly in my Galil. Now Experts have told me the above is impossible so I stopped believing my lying eyes and I agreed with them, because after all-they were gun experts while I am not…….
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
File this under “FYI”.
I got rid of my Valmet M-71 decades ago but I still have the ARM I purchased in the late 80’s. Years and years after I sold my Valmet I found the spare 15 round mag for it and it ran perfectly in my Galil. I also used to have a pre-89 ban Chicom 90 round .223 AK drum that also fed flawlessly in my Galil. Now Experts have told me the above is impossible so I stopped believing my lying eyes and I agreed with them, because after all-they were gun experts while I am not…….
View Quote

Valmet mags may very well work just fine in the Galil. Galil mags are well known for feeding too low for the Valmet. The galil has a bullet guide where the Valmet doesn't.

I'd be curious how my dad's Valmet mags feed in my Galil and 223 Saiga. I know my ((10)) and galil mags won't be reliable in his Valmet.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top