BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2021 3:09:22 PM EDT
Looks like IWI is going to gracing us with new & improved Galil ACE pistols/rifles in the near future!

https://iwi.us/product-category/firearms/galil-ace-gen-ii/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/04/iwi-gen-ii-galil-ace/

Major details:
- Currently only for the "intermediate" cartridges, i.e. not the .308
- 5.45x39 will be regular production now (YES!!!)
- New 13" intermediate-length barrel option
- Improved M-LOK handguards with full handguard-length top rail
- Improved safety design/ergo
- Improved trigger profile (looks straighter)
- Folding mechanism can be used with any M4 stock
- The AK lower/grip module has been shortened to be in-between the jumbo original and something like the KNS plastic delete kit
- It does appear the integrated iron sights are removed on the G2

Attachment Attached File

Sounds like they'll be pretty ideal right out of the box now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like IWI is going to gracing us with new & improved Galil ACE pistols/rifles in the near future!

https://iwi.us/product-category/firearms/galil-ace-gen-ii/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/04/iwi-gen-ii-galil-ace/

Major details:
- Currently only for the "intermediate" cartridges, i.e. not the .308
- 5.45x39 will be regular production now (YES!!!)
- New 13" intermediate-length barrel option
- Improved M-LOK handguards with full handguard-length top rail
- Improved safety design/ergo
- Improved trigger profile (looks straighter)
- Folding mechanism can be used with any M4 stock
- The AK lower/grip module has been shortened to be in-between the jumbo original and something like the KNS plastic delete kit
- It does appear the integrated iron sights are removed on the G2

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/GAR37-2-scaled_jpg-1929422.JPG

Sounds like they'll be pretty ideal right out of the box now
View Quote

Pretty much this, basically what I did to mine aftermarket
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I've ever been so conflicted on a rifle...

In terms of the changes I applaud them.  All are improvements upon the Gen 1.

On the other hand... all those improvements lead to one of the ugliest looking guns I have ever laid eyes upon.  I love the look of the now Gen 1 ACE, hate the looks of the Gen 2.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like an M10x now. I feel like the removal of the sights really hurt the overall look.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Its nice that 5.45x39 chambered units will be here to stay, but the "upgraded" version looks horrible. I spoke with an IWI rep earlier today, and he told me that the Gen 1 is "discontinued".

SO, if you want a version with the military handguards and lower bits as well as military iron sights, you should order one of the few left out there or you will be stuck with this abomination.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like an M10x now. I feel like the removal of the sights really hurt the overall look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Spot on assessment.  It really does look like a 10x with the charging handle swapped to the other side.

Quoted:
Its nice that 5.45x39 chambered units will be here to stay, but the "upgraded" version looks horrible. I spoke with an IWI rep earlier today, and he told me that the Gen 1 is "discontinued".

SO, if you want a version with the military handguards and lower bits as well as military iron sights, you should order one of the few left out there or you will be stuck with this abomination.

That sucks.  Looking back I probably should have kept the x39 that I had.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Spot on assessment.  It really does look like a 10x with the charging handle swapped to the other side.

That sucks.  Looking back I probably should have kept the x39 that I had.
View Quote

You almost certainly should have. Honestly, I blame AR15’s own Finslayer for this turn in aesthetics. Bloody converts his rifle, the weirdos at IWI see one of his threads, and then this....

Horror story!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting upgrades.  Seems like they listened to a fair complaints about the first generation guns and addressed them.  Handguards and non-standard stock being a couple of biggies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Tough crowd. Like I said, I think it’s an ideal configuration for the ACE and it looks pretty cool to me.

I am somewhat surprised IWI didn’t include some sort of tritium-powered BUIS since that’s how they usually roll. But any decent modern optic almost obviates their usage. The handguard is a ton more effective application of cost in the design.

The only thing I’d feel compelled to do is replace the entire stock assembly with an original Galil tubular stock. Modern+retro.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing I’d feel compelled to do is replace the entire stock assembly with an original Galil tubular stock. Modern+retro.

Yep, I ordered a refurnished original Galil stock from APEX and am glad that I did.  No need to replace the hinged knuckle that is in the receiver, just the stock, and it's an easy install.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mind the new look, but surely the published weight is wrong.  

They have the 5.56 Gen2 full-size weighing 8 Lbs 12.6 oz and the Gen1 full-size weighing 7.8 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't mind the new look, but surely the published weight is wrong.  

They have the 5.56 Gen2 full-size weighing 8 Lbs 12.6 oz and the Gen1 full-size weighing 7.8 lbs.
View Quote

Lol! So this “upgrade” is heavier, uglier, and lacks iron sights..... good luck with this IWI, maybe get working on the Gen III.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol! So this “upgrade” is heavier, uglier, and lacks iron sights..... good luck with this IWI, maybe get working on the Gen III.
View Quote

The other issue I have with it is the polymer lower.  The new one looks like they just... sawed half of the lower polymer housing off and said, "this is fine."
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The other issue I have with it is the polymer lower.  The new one looks like they just... sawed half of the lower polymer housing off and said, "this is fine."
View Quote

Its horrible now that you mention it. Absolute abomination. An affront to the laws of god and man...
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Ugly as hell.  At this point who even cares about the 5.45 version.  Hard pass.  I hate it when manufactures make dumb changes and then act like they are doing us a favor.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Need a pic of the 13’inch model.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, the pistol variant doesn't look THAT bad.  The rifle version looks much worse.  Almost like a Bren 2 MS vs Bren 2 rifle type situation.

They really should have just done away with the polymer lower altogether, though.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Honestly, the pistol variant doesn't look THAT bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Honestly, the pistol variant doesn't look THAT bad.

Listen man, we all respect you, but you are just wrong. This is one of the worst designs I've seen this year. Frankly, they are competing with Zastava USA for the ugliest rifle of the year (the M70 with fat rail system might be slightly more awful now that I think about it.. but its a close competition).

Quoted:The rifle version looks much worse.  

I agree. But you are comparing turds here. And you can't polish a turd....

IWI: If you are reading this its not to late to pull change course! Give us a Gen-1 option please.

Quoted:
Ugly as hell.  At this point who even cares about the 5.45 version.  Hard pass.  I hate it when manufactures make dumb changes and then act like they are doing us a favor.

I agree with most of this, except that I wanted a 5.45. Not in this configuration! I'd have to completely retrofit it and un-f*ck it... so you are spot on my friend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Darn. I really wanted the 7.62x39 (Gen 1) rifle but it’s been out of stock everywhere for months. I agree with those of you who described this Gen 2 as an abomination.

Quoted:

This is one of the worst designs I've seen this year. Frankly, they are competing with Zastava USA for the ugliest rifle of the year (the M70 with fat rail system might be slightly more awful now that I think about it.. but its a close competition).

IWI: If you are reading this its not to late to pull change course! Give us a Gen-1 option please.

View Quote

Ugh, that gaudy Zpap M70 with the rail really is FAR worse. I’m with you, hopefully the Gen 2 sales are bad enough that IWI reconsiders and offers a Gen 1 option.

Does anyone know if IWI monitors this board?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if IWI monitors this board?
View Quote

Lets hope they do my friend. They have a great line up without this turd (and that weird looking tavor shotgun...) anyway we want them to do well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I realize I’m in the minority here but I like the looks, particularly of the pistol
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like shit to me. I love the galil but not this. It looks like the hack jobs bubba got ahold of stacked up on gun show tables.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
It seems strange to me to walk back from the proprietary stock, and yet keep the pistol grip.

Not my favorite looking rifle, that's for sure. The pistol is a slight improvement in looks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The pistol is a slight improvement in looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The pistol is a slight improvement in looks.

Quoted:
I realize I’m in the minority here but I like the looks, particularly of the pistol

I respect both of your opinions. I know it was hard for me to clearly see some objects prior to getting my glasses...  

Quoted:
Looks like shit to me. I love the galil but not this. It looks like the hack jobs bubba got ahold of stacked up on gun show tables.

^This is correct. It kind of reminds me of what people were doing to SKS rifles a few decades back. Ruined perfectly decent weapons. Sad. Total disgrace.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I just want the current ace 556 that has the mags that rock in(non ar) those rifles look awesome.

Ace 21,22 or 23. I would also go for Ace 52 and 53, those are bada**.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to be contrary and not like the new hotness.

Ugly as it is, the plastic lower keeps your weak hand from getting burnt by a hot receiver. The short front handguard on the gen 1 ACE wasn't long, but it is light and adaptable enough while keeping your hand from getting roasted.

As for the M4 stock, big whoop. Now with have yet another rifle that uses a M4 stock. Not making my panties moist.

The biggest deal for me is losing the iron sights. If you want irons you're going to pretty much need to hand AR15 irons on it, which means you'll have to use a cheek riser to be able to use AR height irons which means your primary optic will need to be AR height which means you're increasing the height over bore way more than the design of the rifle really needs to.

It ain't an AR and with a dropped stock you don't need high sights. Low sights have (obviously) less sight offset and keep your head down just a little bit more.

TLDR: Glad I already got my gen 1.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm going to be contrary and not like the new hotness.

Ugly as it is, the plastic lower keeps your weak hand from getting burnt by a hot receiver. The short front handguard on the gen 1 ACE wasn't long, but it is light and adaptable enough while keeping your hand from getting roasted.

As for the M4 stock, big whoop. Now with have yet another rifle that uses a M4 stock. Not making my panties moist.

The biggest deal for me is losing the iron sights. If you want irons you're going to pretty much need to hand AR15 irons on it, which means you'll have to use a cheek riser to be able to use AR height irons which means your primary optic will need to be AR height which means you're increasing the height over bore way more than the design of the rifle really needs to.

It ain't an AR and with a dropped stock you don't need high sights. Low sights have (obviously) less sight offset and keep your head down just a little bit more.

TLDR: Glad I already got my gen 1.

AJ
View Quote

Everything you said was correct. Every point was right on the money.

It’s going to cost people about $700-800 to unfu(k these things:

Lower: 50-100
FSB/GB w/ sight: 400
Rear sight: 200
Handguard w/ covers: 50-100

Labor: $?

This is just to get it to Gen 1/ military configuration.

.... this assumes you can even find the parts above (all are rare).

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Here's my gen 1.  I know that some may view gen 2 as "finally in the correct form", but in my mind it's boring now. I love the look of the original. It wasn't just another ak or ar. It was it's own. Now Gen 2 is functionally excellent and boring to look at.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I own a Gen 1 ACE in 7.62x39, 8.5” barrel in SBR config. I am running everything stock at present (added only an Aimpoint M5 on a low ADM mount and a KNS gas piston to run it suppressed with my SOCOM 7.62 can). I love it, it is my favorite rifle right now.

I think the new config should work even better for the 8.5” and 13” barrel models. For the 16” models, I would have kept the front sight base and made the rear sight flip up to allow for optic use, which is the main flaw in the current model.

I need a 16” Galil in 7.62x39 (gen 1 or 2). I will try to find one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#29]
and I would go with Troy Micro sights for BUIS depending on how the cheek weld is relative to your red dot or LPVO config

https://www.larue.com/products/sight-set-troy-micro-low-profile-folding-battle-sights-front-rear-black/

I run full height (1.5”) AR BUIS on my B&T APC 9 Pro without a cheek riser. My Aimpoint is actually the std co witness height as well (T2 on a Spuhr mount). Works great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The only thing I kind of like the look of on the Gen 2 is the new safety. It's a massive bummer they got rid of he built in sights.

I am really tempted to grab a Gen 1 now while I can but they are going for crazy prices right now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#31]
My hope is that IWI decides to build some more gen 1 Galils. Israel is probably still making the necessary parts for its military exports. The gen 1 has been hard to find and is going for crazy high prices if you can find it.

This gen 2 abomination may have a nicer safety and trigger, but you don't really have a free float barrel when you have an AK action. It was already very accurate for an AK variant.

If you didn't like the polymer lower, cut it yourself or go with a KNS delete kit. If you wanted a longer handguard, go with RSR or MWI.

This new gen 2 was not needed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Is the AR style buffer tube milspec or commercial?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm only interested in the 5.45 varent, unless I can snag another good AK74 clone here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is the AR style buffer tube milspec or commercial?
View Quote

Milspec
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Listen man, we all respect you, but you are just wrong. This is one of the worst designs I've seen this year. Frankly, they are competing with Zastava USA for the ugliest rifle of the year (the M70 with fat rail system might be slightly more awful now that I think about it.. but its a close competition).
View Quote

Haha I won't argue that it's one of the ugliest designs this year.  Makes me sad to see.

Us Galil ACE fans right now...

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Haha I won't argue that it's one of the ugliest designs this year.  Makes me sad to see.

Us Galil ACE fans right now...
https://imgur.com/XPwJNHn.jpg
View Quote

LOL! Most appropriate reference in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
It's starting to grow on me. I don't like the look of the rail but I can see the utility of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck it, I'm in!

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Got my pistol in this weekend and got a chance to shoot it yesterday. It’s an absolute joy, very handy but a bit snappier than my SAM7SF. The dust cover is very sturdy and seems to hold zero, but I haven’t really put it through its paces too much. It feels much nicer in hand than most other AKs I’ve handled.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I had dreams of picking up an ace and adding a wood handguard.

My dreams are now destroyed, looks like I’m back to looking at the SAM7.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Stumbled upon a used gen 1 in 556. I almost broke my arm reaching for my wallet.

It’s heavy, awkward, and BIG, but I like it!

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#43]
It'd be cool if there was a way to get that short throw safety on a gen 1.  That's far and above the best thing about this new gen imo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a good idea about what kind of backup sights would work ok with this? I really do not want to put tall AR sights on this. I was thinking I might get some CZ Scorpion sights to use if I could eventually actually find one to buy but if there are better alternatives I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good idea about what kind of backup sights would work ok with this? I really do not want to put tall AR sights on this. I was thinking I might get some CZ Scorpion sights to use if I could eventually actually find one to buy but if there are better alternatives I'd be interested.
View Quote

Maybe some Troy micros.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with AEnemaBay that Troy Micros are probably your best bet.

I have them on my Beretta ARX 100 which has a pretty high rail and they work super well on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

similar to cz scorpion sights without the logo
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I just got a gen 1 pistol 7.62x39 couple months and might be considering selling it. The gen 2 is kind of growing on me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Ironically the factory CZ ones look better and cost less.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Tough crowd. I especially love how some people know that gen2 is going backwards from gen1.

I certainly understand caring about looks if it were a wall piece, or a safe queen. But i am a practical over aesthetics kind of guy, its probably why Zastavas and this Galil is all i stock in 7.62x39.

@hoodfu, can you use those buis without taking holosun off? I am waiting on my holosun but i will be using troy micro buis too, hope they line up properly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top