Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tough crowd. I especially love how some people know that gen2 is going backwards from gen1.

I certainly understand caring about looks if it were a wall piece, or a safe queen. But i am a practical over aesthetics kind of guy, its probably why Zastavas and this Galil is all i stock in 7.62x39.

@hoodfu, can you use those buis without taking holosun off? I am waiting on my holosun but i will be using troy micro buis too, hope they line up properly.
View Quote
I did some looking and Tro Micros have a height of 1.16" when raised.

According to Holosun the 510c height from rail to center of the optic is 1.41" inches so the Troy Micros proably won't clear the body. If you want something to clear the 510 you'd need standard backup sights.

If you are like me and you want the dot and sights to be as low as you can you can get an Aimpoint t1/t2 with a ADM Low mount the height from rail to centerline is 1.1" and i think the midwest industries mount might be slightly lower than that. Haven't been able to find the exact measurement on the midwest mount but I have one now on a Holosun and it seems to be closer to 1" which is lower but not ideal for backup sights. That said I am thinking about selling the midwest to get a ADM because I prefer how the latch on the ADM opens, I think i would be easier to do under stress and/or with gloves on (see below)

So if you got a Aimpoint or Holosun style the Troy Micros would be just a hair taller than an absolute co-witness by about 0.06" (1.5mm) with the ADM mount. Not ideal but certainly should be useable without removing the optic.

That said I am leaning towards a set of Scorpion sights because if you have a QD mount on your red dot in this hypothetical scenario you have to ask yourself is it quicker to flip up the Troys or to remove the dot with the QD mount.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea i failed to consider that one would still have to flip up the Troy after removing the QD Holosun, in response to your last statement.  Other than that we are on the same page.

Alternatively, i guess, one could run Troys flipped up all the time, especially if not cowitnessing/in field of view of the rmr/red dot. Anyway, may end up returning Troys (amazon prime) and try something else.  We will see what develops, thanks for your thoughts and input.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Micro on the Bobro mount with no spacers give a below center co-witness with the gen 1 ACE irons.

AJ
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
@stija no, you'd have to use something without a riser for cowitness like an aim point or Romeo 5 and a low mount.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't think I've ever been so conflicted on a rifle...

In terms of the changes I applaud them.  All are improvements upon the Gen 1.

On the other hand... all those improvements lead to one of the ugliest looking guns I have ever laid eyes upon.  I love the look of the now Gen 1 ACE, hate the looks of the Gen 2.
View Quote
For me it's the continued insistence on using a wonky looking hinge to attach an AR stock that generally permeates the entire industry. It's annoying when there have been perfectly good and good looking folding stocks on rifles since the 60s.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@stija no, you'd have to use something without a riser for cowitness like an aim point or Romeo 5 and a low mount.
View Quote

Thanks. Just purchased a set of cz bren folding sights, look like they are equivalent to battle troy sights (larger than micros) so we will see how it mounts w my holosun. I also bought micros but will return them unless someone wants them for 180$ shipped. Otherwise amazon return they go if they dont make me happy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For me it's the continued insistence on using a wonky looking hinge to attach an AR stock that generally permeates the entire industry. It's annoying when there have been perfectly good and good looking folding stocks on rifles since the 60s.
View Quote

While I agree that they should have stuck with the FAL type stock instead of the AR pattern, the hinge ain't the problem.

The hinge is one of the things they didnae fuck up on the gen2. It's pretty much the same as the gen 1 and it's a modified FAL hinge that's a genius design. A sliding wedge is pulled against a fixed wedge by the hinge spring. If there is wear the moving wedge is just pulled a bit deeper into engagement.

It eliminates wobble from wear. I like folding stocks for compact transport and the Galil stock is one of the very few (AK100 is the other one) that is a solid as a fixed stock.
Is very strong and very simple. Steel on steel pulled together by a strong spring. You've got the receiver knuckle, the stock, a pin, a spring and a pin retaining E clip. That's it.
And as implemented on the Galil even if the receiver side of the hinge is screwed up that assembly isn't part of the receiver and can be swapped out.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Gen 2.  Really my only complaint is that the handguard is slick (smooth, no texture), but that's easily remedied. Also thinking about changing the folding hinge to a 1913 rail.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it looks ok.
Then again I'm also a fan of the tactical tuna. (Beretta ARX100)
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My gen 2 is able to cowitness w troy micros and holosun. Goes to show you how far forum knowledge goes. So i got me a set of cz bren higher sights for no reason, but hey. Lesson learned, yet again. Now i have a set of nice tritium foldable extra sights.

Pics:

Obviously my instincts + measurements (half assed) were > forum opinions.

On a funnier note, it took me a while to mount Holosun because i kept trying to loosen the wrong screw.. you had to be there ??

One more pic of finished product. Maybe a sling is needed too.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the Troy micros taller than 1.16"? That's the height of them directly from Troy.

And Holosun says the 510c height from centerline to optic is 1.41" on their website:
https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/124.html

Which number is off?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Well that link shows center being 1.04”. Troy is 1.16”. Is there a need to measure?

Where is the issue? .12” difference? I dont think it can get better without custom work. Higher sights will be way off, hitting top of Holosun body i suspect.

I am satisfied that they almost perfectly line up and i can clearly see my front post thru the Holosun reticle. I dont really need it to cowitness 100% because they are folding/backup. I wanted them to be able to work with reticle or thru it and it is exactly as expected. Even lower sights would have worked but not lower by more than 0.25”. That would allow one to see the tip of the front post thru Holosun where as i can see the whole front site circle and all.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well that link shows center being 1.04". Troy is 1.16". Is there a need to measure?

View Quote

Negative look again. It shows 1.04" from bottom of optic to center of optic but it shows 1.41" from top of rail to center of optic; meaning with factory supplied mount centerline of optic is 1.41" which is cowitness with standard issue AR-15 height sights. If it was 1.04" with mount it would be too low for an AR-15.

I hope I'm reading this wrong but you seem very hostile. Are you always this way to strangers on the internet or are you having a bad day?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Always same/hostile w everyone.  So do you have a detailed diagram for troy or are we assuming where it measures 1.14” from?

Don’t see Troy’s link. I did read same thing you read, someones statement of fact of Troys height fir micro but no diagram.

Edit: i saw the link. You are assuming troy’s 1.14” is to Holosuns 1.41”. I assumed it was opposite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Troy does not have a diagram. Only thing I could find when I was looking last week was this very old post:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Height_of_Troy_Micro_BUIS_/18-691857/#:~:text=Troy%20Micros%20are%201.16%22%20above,sights%20I've%20ever%20used.

I also called Troy and that was the height they gave me over the phone. They rather frusteratingly do not have that info on their website anywhere I could find which is why I'm asking if you can measure to see A) if Troy was wrong or B) the window on the Holosun 510 is in fact so large that you can kind of cowitness in the lower portion of the optic window.

It's hard to tell from your pictures where the sights line up in the optic window.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Perhaps you should tell me/instruct me now from where to where you want measured, if and when I measure i do it right/once for you.

Bad day or like chit chatting strangers? Its twice now i ask you. Ask twice measure once. I wanna help you but maintaining my hostility/self.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Warning: This is a tech form with low tolerance for personal attacks.  Please keep the discussion civil and technical.  

Please don’t make me come in here again.
View Quote

The discussion is civil an technical. Poster wanted measurements and i asked him to tell me what to measure. Twice.

Does he want the measurements, or does he need a hug instead? I dont understand what is going on. Only personal attack was on me, calling me hostile for “how someone interpreted a tone from a post.” I told him it is how i am with everyone, so how can that be taken personal? He asked for clarification then declined to accept it.

Personally, what will happen if you come here again? I would love to know so that i can properly select the path to proceed.

Do you see how often i post here? I only posted to remedy wrong data/info. I have no other input generally in forums and patting each other backs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes are trolling here. You trolled me pm.

I offered to help measure tor someone and he got butthurt. Offer rescinded.  Rescind my acount too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Back on track. My Galil ACE 2 SBR in progress. Spare Scorpion sights work nicely. Haven't decided on an optic yet, or if I'm even going to add one.  
Added some trimmed BCM MCMR Rail Panel Kit pieces to the forend for some much needed texture.

Not a fan of this folding knuckle and plan to change that.

Hunting around for a lightweight, short suppressor to finalize this shooter.

Oh, and note that left hand shooters need not apply. That safety is a non-starter for you folks.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks good SilasB....
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Is there any staking of the castle nut, likecwhat is commonly done on an ar on the end plate? Figured it wouldn't be, but if someone could verify, it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#26]
You dont need to stake it.
The castle nut on an AR is staked to prevent backing off because of the bcg/buffer travel.
None of that is happening in the Galil Ace.
They probably used COTS products to lower the cost.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#27]
There's some thread locker keeping it all together.  Hit it with a some heat for a couple of minutes and it breaks free without too much effort.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Back on track. My Galil ACE 2 SBR in progress. Spare Scorpion sights work nicely. Haven't decided on an optic yet, or if I'm even going to add one.  
Added some trimmed BCM MCMR Rail Panel Kit pieces to the forend for some much needed texture.

Not a fan of this folding knuckle and plan to change that.

Hunting around for a lightweight, short suppressor to finalize this shooter.

Oh, and note that left hand shooters need not apply. That safety is a non-starter for you folks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408302/PXL_20210603_155823175-1965329.jpg
View Quote

Looks good. Seems like your rear sight is reversed though. Probably doesn't impact anything but the adjustment knob is going to point you in the wrong direction if you leave it like that.

I just got mine yesterday. The folding kuckle is super stiff. I have every confidence it will stay open but I have little confidence that I'll be able to close it with any ease.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Looks good. Seems like your rear sight is reversed though. Probably doesn't impact anything but the adjustment knob is going to point you in the wrong direction if you leave it like that.

I just got mine yesterday. The folding kuckle is super stiff. I have every confidence it will stay open but I have little confidence that I'll be able to close it with any ease.
View Quote

Ha! That is entirely possible. Not only was that possible, but I had both on backwards!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ha! That is entirely possible. Not only was that possible, but I had both on backwards!
View Quote
I think they would work either way so not a big deal. Just kind of funny.

Took my pistol to the range today. First time shooting 7.62x39 and an AK pattern gun in a long time; less recoil than I remembered it having. Probably the most fun I've had shooting a gun in a while.

I used Magpul and Zatslava mags with a bolt hold open, only shot 120 rounds but zero issues so far except the bolt hold open follower didn't always hold the bolt open. Oh well.

Two observations the muzzle flash was giant - are there any flash hiders that do a better job than the A2 bird cage that came with it? Or is it like with 5.56 where the A2 is pretty good as is and you're paying $100 to get like 10% less flash?

Second thing I was getting some trigger slap. Finger started to sting a bit. Can anything be done about that?

I'm definintely going to get some of those BCM panels because the hand guard is slick. I had a magpul handstop thing lying around I used to prevent my hand from sliding off the front of the handguard; I'm looking to get something else to try out soon.

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Seems to me with the Gen II they moved closer to an AR-15 style firearm, just without the direct gas impingement. The removal of iron sights really hurt the Gen II IMO. I would guess the reduction in cost without irons was only made up for with a more expensive handguard. I also wonder about the new stock, I'd guess the buffer tube they could reduce manufacturing load by using the same buffer tubes as the Zion-15 rifles, maybe more than just the buffer tube. That would be a decent decision on IWI's part if they were already planning on switching to a milspec buffer tube for the stock.

The gen I Ace's were really the perfect blend of old style ARM features with new features to keep up with the times. I'm just glad I picked up a 5.45 gen I pistol and SBR'd it while I was able.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I hate those stocks. I would rather put on something like an AK side folder.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Two observations the muzzle flash was giant - are there any flash hiders that do a better job than the A2 bird cage that came with it? Or is it like with 5.56 where the A2 is pretty good as is and you're paying $100 to get like 10% less flash?

View Quote

You are not kidding about that. The guys I was shooting with were all "Holy Fireballs!"  My solution will be throwing a Sandman K on it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
need a gen 1 thread
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Dealer called me. My order somehow got "messed up" so they had to resubmit it and already have my money. So I'm back in line for my 8" x39 pistol. Gay sauce because I have my nomad out of jail ready to rock.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#37]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZAPqy2ABWs
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Well they quietyly released the 8.3" 5.56 Gen 2 model. It's in stock at a few places... it's tempting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I’m dumb, please tell me the difference in gen 1 and gen 2. Pictures would be awesome also for me! Please, thanks guys…
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’m dumb, please tell me the difference in gen 1 and gen 2. Pictures would be awesome also for me! Please, thanks guys…
View Quote

Gen 2 has a better safety, full length free float M-LOK handguard, supposedly a slightly better trigger, and a AR style buffer tube.

The negatives to it (to most) are they removed the factory irons and opened up the polymer housing a bit making the rifle look ugly (on the x39 version).

Here's a pic of each (Gen 1 on top, Gen 2 on bottom):

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Gen 2 has a better safety, full length free float M-LOK handguard, supposedly a slightly better trigger, and a AR style buffer tube.

The negatives to it (to most) are they removed the factory irons and opened up the polymer housing a bit making the rifle look ugly (on the x39 version).

Here's a pic of each (Gen 1 on top, Gen 2 on bottom):

https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Galil-ACE-GAR16-556-left-side-mag-e1576601244543.jpg
https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/GAR27-1-scaled.jpg
View Quote

Oh ya, I have the .556 pistol in Gen 1….. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. An ugly rifle will only sell during a panic. Mark my words: we will start to see the price on these Gen II units lower from this point out....
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Cmon
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#44]
My gen2 5.45 was shipped from IWI to dealer 3.days ago....can't wait....I already have 5.45 stacked and about 30 ak74 mags...5.45 is still cheap...and just.picked up another can of 7n6 on gunboker for 340.00 for 1080 rounds....wish I had cash to buy 2....seems it's a hated design,  but I definitely like it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My gen2 5.45 was shipped from IWI to dealer 3.days ago....can't wait....I already have 5.45 stacked and about 30 ak74 mags...5.45 is still cheap...and just.picked up another can of 7n6 on gunboker for 340.00 for 1080 rounds....wish I had cash to buy 2....seems it's a hated design,  but I definitely like it.
View Quote

Do you mean, your Gen I in 5.45? I do not believe they have released the Gen II. If you ordered from Copper Customs or Dissident Arms, then you are getting a Gen 1.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#46]
My AK pistols in 7.62x39 and 5.56 heat up quick , the handguards us usually start smoking.
On the 5.56 galil how bad is the heat and do the handguards ever get too hot to the touch ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

do you know of anyone who has these in stock?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

do you know of anyone who has these in stock?
View Quote

Gen II in 5.45 are not available anywhere yet.

The Gen 1 in 13.3" barrel is available at Rainier Arms, Copper Custom, and Dissident Arms. The 8" and 16" 5.45 Gen 1 have been sold out for months in most places at MSRP.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My AK pistols in 7.62x39 and 5.56 heat up quick , the handguards us usually start smoking.
On the 5.56 galil how bad is the heat and do the handguards ever get too hot to the touch ?
View Quote
My 7.62 got too hot to touch but it was also the hottest day of the year at 110 so who knows.

I'll try a 5.56 model and get back to you.

I'm thinking about burn proof gear wraps for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I got in pre-order with copper custom...IWI delivered 3 days ago to them....I know they had 400 ppl wanting...but they.only got.100..
And they were spoken for the next day.....I'd go.to.IWI website.and look at.their distributors list.and.start.calling.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top