Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That is encouraging, thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
took mine out for the 3rd test, prior have been dismal.

today tested wolf 62 grain, both tapco and OEM mags ran 100%.

Then tested federal 55 grain in both mags, had one bolt ride over on OEM mag tapco had no issue this time.

so its getting better!! still not 100% and still no return email from ATI.
View Quote
Thanks for the update. So after watching the latest video from Atlantic Firearms and seeing your post, it's looking like these rifles need a thorough break-in period. Looks like I will not get rid of my stash of Israeli mags just yet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
And look for NATO hot ammo
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Sarco has Galil bipods in stock for those that want one. I ordered the late style last night.

Galil Rifle Bipod Late Style

Galil Rifle Bipod Early Style

If I understand right, the early model is pinned and the later is quick release.

misc. parts
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sarco has Galil bipods in stock for those that want one. I ordered the late style last night.

Galil Rifle Bipod Late Style

Galil Rifle Bipod Early Style

If I understand right, the early model is pinned and the later is quick release.

misc. parts
View Quote
Thanks for posting. I ordered a late style, as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally picked mine up. The action is smooth and the surplus mags lock up easy and tight. Can't wait to shoot it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
For those that ordered the bipod from my above post, here is a youtube video on how to install the late version.

Bipod install
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my Galeo mostly broken-in today. It can now get through almost an entire steel mag with no hiccups. The Tapco mag still works every time. The second-to-last cartridge seems to cause issues in the steel mags. I also sighted-in at 50 yards. The front sight had to be adjusted as far left as it could go to get mostly close to center. Shooting at center-mass yielded head-shots, so the front sight post needs to come up. My AK sight tools are not long enough to reach the front sight post to adjust it. Does anyone know of any places selling front sight tools that work with Galils? I could use pliers but I would rather not mar everything.

ETA- How to adjust windage with front sight:

There are adjustment screws on both sides. With a proper flat-tip screwdriver, loosen the screw on the same side as the direction you wish to drift the sight (to drift right, loosen the right screw). Next tighten the opposite screw. This will then drift the sight toward the screw that you loosed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Use a Dremel and make the AK sight tool slot deeper, That will work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
In every pic I see of the ATI Galil, the stock is missing the spacer.

Are they actually dissassembling every stock and removing it? I doubt all the parts kits they are starting from had them removed
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In every pic I see of the ATI Galil, the stock is missing the spacer.

Are they actually dissassembling every stock and removing it? I doubt all the parts kits they are starting from had them removed
View Quote
Got any close-up pics of the real Galil w/stock spacer for reference?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Use a Dremel and make the AK sight tool slot deeper, That will work.
View Quote
With the two tools I have, I would have to cut the front site post adjuster off of the rest of the tool in order to reach the front sight post without interference. I might just do that since I have two of them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Atlantic. Any ETA on a new shipment of the Galeos? Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Bipod came in. It has little bit of surface rust but otherwise it's in serviceable condition. I may get it cerakoted. Now I can finally use a rifle to cut wire!

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
If anyone is interested in more surplus Israeli accessories for their Galil:

Web Sling

Magazine Pouch
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Much of Sarco's stock has been wet from floods at the warehouse in Sterling, NJ. It was a regular occurrence there. I bought my NOS surplus bipod from a guy on GB. They are the old style but it is in perfect shape.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/811171116
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you look in the galil pic thread, at the non ACE galils, about 1/3 of the way back on the stock, you will notice a small block between the upper and lower tubes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to guess that IMI was making these rifles for export and that was one cost saving measure used in their production. That's the reason for the difference.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you look in the galil pic thread, at the non ACE galils, about 1/3 of the way back on the stock, you will notice a small block between the upper and lower tubes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what you mean now. Interesting observation. An image search of Galils shows that all of them have it except for these ATI ones. Even the ACE stock on one of my AKs has the reinforcement.

Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#20]
The reason they do not have the plastic spacer is that the stocks have been refinished.  ATI removed the spacer when they reparked the stock.  All of the kit stocks have the spacer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Still no new shipments of the Galeo... Is ATI reworking these rifles after the flaws/teething issues were revealed upon the release of the first small batch?
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#22]
That makes sense and would explain the dearth of rifles being offered.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I see what you mean now. Interesting observation. An image search of Galils shows that all of them have it except for these ATI ones. Even the ACE stock on one of my AKs has the reinforcement.

http://i64.tinypic.com/rlg9p1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mq7nfm.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i64.tinypic.com/rlg9p1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mq7nfm.jpg
I want the spacer on the stock!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Whats the deal on these? Are they reliable or not?

Is it true ATI is punking out on the them with MIL mags?  Are there more coming?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be able to report on that in a couple of weeks when I can test mine. It seems you do need two things to get military mags to work. You need good mags with not wore out springs and you need 62gr NATO spec ammunition.  It will also help to break in the rifle some with hot ammo. This is what I have seen reported with them so far. With the Tapco mags they are GTG. With old surplus military mags and 55gr ammo they will FTF.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Whats the deal on these? Are they reliable or not?

Is it true ATI is punking out on the them with MIL mags?  Are there more coming?
View Quote
100% reliable with Tapco mags. Military mags seem to need a break-in period before they work. I've fired only a couple hundred rounds thru mine. I was still getting stoppages with military mags, but not as frequent (twice per mag). I was using 55 grain .223 Rem.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I was notified that my back ordered ATI Galil Wood hand guard rifle was shipped.  I hope I get a nice working rifle.  Unfortunately, my FFL will be out of town for the weekend and not able to accept delivery on Friday.  Now I have to wait until Monday to get the rifle and hope the carrier takes good care of it through the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was notified that my back ordered ATI Galil Wood hand guard rifle was shipped.  I hope I get a nice working rifle.  Unfortunately, my FFL will be out of town for the weekend and not able to accept delivery on Friday.  Now I have to wait until Monday to get the rifle and hope the carrier takes good care of it through the weekend.
View Quote
Please post pics when you get it and let us know if it gives you any trouble with steel mags. I'm curios to see if ATI did some work to fix the feeding issue with steel mags on these newest batches.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#29]
It does seem like an inordinate amount of time took place between batches. Engineering and tweaking are possible explanations.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up my ATI wood rifle today. Sorry no pics as I do not have a digital camera.  I field stripped and cleaned it up.  It was not dirty, but very gritty overall.  Especially the mag catch, trigger and rear sight.  Much better after some Slip 2000 EWL.  Below is what I was able to observe.

Happy about:  
Original un-refinished excellent condition black painted stock with plastic spacer!
Stock lock-up is super tight, even with lube it is hard to unlock to fold.  Once unlocked no issues folding.
Finish (park) on rifle looks great.
Barrel length perfect for use with US M7 (M16) bayonet.
Works great with detachable Israeli Bi-pod.
No noticeable pitting on any of the surplus parts.

Sad about (somewhat expected due to the fact that parts come from used kits):
Trigger guard bent / twisted where riveted to receiver.  Noticeable from left side if you look.
Charging handle tip bent in on one side.
Wood hand guard is dark and in good condition on left side, fair on right side.  Looks too worn for rest of the rifle.
Pistol grip in fair to poor condition, worse than the hand guards.
No front night sight or hardware.
Surprised how deep the cut in the barrel was for the hand guard retainer.
Small outward bend on top cover right side just before start of safety lever opening.
Rear night sight a little loose when folded.

I immediately replaced the worn grip with a new one that I had purchased.  With the grip off, you can really see the twisted rear of the trigger guard.  I wonder why they didn't try to bend it straight when riveting it to the receiver?  They re-parked it well, while it was bent.   I may replace the hand guard with a plastic one from an Apex kit that is like new.  I lucked out on the hand guard that came with that kit.

I definitely lucked out with the stock on this rifle.  It looks great.  I was fully expecting to replace it with one of my R4 or excellent condition Israeli stocks, to get the correct look.  However, the one that came with it looks better than the two Israeli stocks that I have.  If the rifle had an excellent condition wood hand guard it would look really nice.  As it stands now, when you see it, your eyes go straight to the wood hand guard as it looks so out of place on the rifle.

I have 20 IMI mags.  6 are new ban era LEO mags, 4 used from AIM and 10 refinished like new surplus mags.  All but four fit normally like AK mags (easy in and out, slight wobble).  One from AIM would not insert at all.  Three from the 10 refinished like new surplus batch were hard to get in and out.  It appears that all of the problem mags are either too wide at the back or too long?  If I can get them in, it is hard to get them out.  The three that I could get in and out have scratches on the rear corners.  I was happy that all of the 6 new ban era LEO mags fit great.  Also, I can't feel much difference between the used and new mags in regards to follower tension.  I compared the length of one of the new mags with one of the surplus mags and the new mag spring looked a little shorter?

Based on what I have read about others having mag issues, it looks like they may have made some changes to the mag well.  It looks like the sides of the mag well have a little bevel.  I was fully expecting the metal mags, especially the new ones to be super tight.  I was shocked that the 16 went in and out so easy.  When I say easy, I mean easy to rock in and fully lock and just as easy to remove.  The Tapco mag is feels about the same when inserted as the 16 metal mags (same wobble, etc.).

Unfortunately, I currently have no way to easily test fire the rifle.  I hope to shoot it soon, but it will probably be awhile.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Posted this elsewhere but wanted to post it here to help out...

Ok...I received mine (wood handguard, serial in 550s and has the stock spacer early ones appeared to not be shipping with. Came with cheap hard case and Tapco mag) on Friday. I had backordered one back in April and thought about canceling due to issues I was reading. Forgot about it and then got shipping notification. Oh well.

I initially was not pleased as I could not get the top cover back on. It is somewhat bent and I couldn't seat it low enough to get the tab back through it using every technique. Once I figured out it was sitting too high I hit it with a mallet and was then able to get the tab to pop through. I filed the tab hole slightly to allow more clearance.

Next issue was the biggest issue...mags. I couldn't get about 90% of my surplus mags to seat. I have a model 372 IMI and a number of surplus mags. I didnt buy this clone to have to buy another line of mags. So...I dremeled the top of the mag catch. I went slow and in about 10 minutes of fitting all seat great with no wobble.

Next...bolt override on some of the mags resulting in the bolt not picking up the round at all or FTF into chamber. I simply took pliers and slightly bent the mag feed lips to allow the rounds to ride higher. Checked by hand cycling then live fired. Worked great. I am at 425 rounds (mixture of 55 grain Wolf steel and brass, 55 grain Independence 556, and IMI 62 grain M855). That is through 11 surplus mags with one stoppage in the 390s with the green tips. It simply did not go into battery and with mag out, bolt forward on the same round, mag back in, it ran the rest of the rounds no issue.

Overall I am very happy with this shooter. Still hoping for the best in the long run when round count climbs, but nothing indicates issues down the road right now. No it is not nearly as nice as the IMI Galil, but it also cost me 1/3 the price. The finish appears to be a pretty decent parkerization. Some minor issues as noted, but I can live with them if the gun runs. So far it does. Ejector looks good so far. Ejections were a bit inconsistent from1 to 3 o'clock, but it was out of the gun so I'm cool with that.

If you are interested in one I would look into it and try to get a later one as perhaps some early issues have been worked out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Make sure you look at feedlips and bend/open up a little as necessary if you get bolt override with the surplus mags.

Quoted:
I picked up my ATI wood rifle today. Sorry no pics as I do not have a digital camera.  I field stripped and cleaned it up.  It was not dirty, but very gritty overall.  Especially the mag catch, trigger and rear sight.  Much better after some Slip 2000 EWL.  Below is what I was able to observe.

Happy about:  
Original un-refinished excellent condition black painted stock with plastic spacer!
Stock lock-up is super tight, even with lube it is hard to unlock to fold.  Once unlocked no issues folding.
Finish (park) on rifle looks great.
Barrel length perfect for use with US M7 (M16) bayonet.
Works great with detachable Israeli Bi-pod.
No noticeable pitting on any of the surplus parts.

Sad about (somewhat expected due to the fact that parts come from used kits):
Trigger guard bent / twisted where riveted to receiver.  Noticeable from left side if you look.
Charging handle tip bent in on one side.
Wood hand guard is dark and in good condition on left side, fair on right side.  Looks too worn for rest of the rifle.
Pistol grip in fair to poor condition, worse than the hand guards.
No front night sight or hardware.
Surprised how deep the cut in the barrel was for the hand guard retainer.
Small outward bend on top cover right side just before start of safety lever opening.
Rear night sight a little loose when folded.

I immediately replaced the worn grip with a new one that I had purchased.  With the grip off, you can really see the twisted rear of the trigger guard.  I wonder why they didn't try to bend it straight when riveting it to the receiver?  They re-parked it well, while it was bent.   I may replace the hand guard with a plastic one from an Apex kit that is like new.  I lucked out on the hand guard that came with that kit.

I definitely lucked out with the stock on this rifle.  It looks great.  I was fully expecting to replace it with one of my R4 or excellent condition Israeli stocks, to get the correct look.  However, the one that came with it looks better than the two Israeli stocks that I have.  If the rifle had an excellent condition wood hand guard it would look really nice.  As it stands now, when you see it, your eyes go straight to the wood hand guard as it looks so out of place on the rifle.

I have 20 IMI mags.  6 are new ban era LEO mags, 4 used from AIM and 10 refinished like new surplus mags.  All but four fit normally like AK mags (easy in and out, slight wobble).  One from AIM would not insert at all.  Three from the 10 refinished like new surplus batch were hard to get in and out.  It appears that all of the problem mags are either too wide at the back or too long?  If I can get them in, it is hard to get them out.  The three that I could get in and out have scratches on the rear corners.  I was happy that all of the 6 new ban era LEO mags fit great.  Also, I can't feel much difference between the used and new mags in regards to follower tension.  I compared the length of one of the new mags with one of the surplus mags and the new mag spring looked a little shorter?

Based on what I have read about others having mag issues, it looks like they may have made some changes to the mag well.  It looks like the sides of the mag well have a little bevel.  I was fully expecting the metal mags, especially the new ones to be super tight.  I was shocked that the 16 went in and out so easy.  When I say easy, I mean easy to rock in and fully lock and just as easy to remove.  The Tapco mag is feels about the same when inserted as the 16 metal mags (same wobble, etc.).

Unfortunately, I currently have no way to easily test fire the rifle.  I hope to shoot it soon, but it will probably be awhile.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Picked one of these up today local, SN 45x.  They had two of them and I picked what I thought was the better one.   The bolt, carrier and gas tube look unissued or they did a hell of a job refinishing them.  Interesting how they did the firing pin spring in the bolt, I dont think thats the original setup.  Stock has the spacer but where the tubes go into the folding block it looks like it was epoxied and not in all the way in when the roll pin hole was drilled but its solid.  Missing the rear night sight.

Hit or miss on feeding with surplus mags just hand cycling, but my old century golani and kit I had built years ago was finiky about picking up rounds on surplus mags, especially if the springs are weak.  I have nothing against the tapco mags and they are cheap.

The other one had the plastic bipod handguard, the one I took home had the non-bipod, rifle is heavy enough without a bipod :)  Handguard is is nice shape, must have been a decent parts kit.  Rear cover is nice and tight as well.  Too bad no scope mount cutout..

Will shoot it in the next few days, so far pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Another option I've thought about doing is buy from Brownells

They do offer a 60 day warranty on Firearms. You can view there return policy here

I know they are out of stock right now but with a 10% coupon code TAA it brings it down to the cheapest I've seen and they do allow back orders on it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Put 150 rounds through mine today, 55gr federal.  Ran 100% except for some reason the first round didnt extract, possible the extractor may have stuck since the empty just fell out after pulling the mag.  After that it ran 100%, switching between a parked IMI mag and the tapco.  I went through a few OE mags to find one that the bolt made a lot of contact with the round.  Ejection is enthusiastic to say the least, no odd wear on the inside.

Except for the safety moving halfway up after a few shots no problems at all.  The safety notch on the receiver is pretty shallow and bump on the lever is small so I'm not sure if that can really be fixed.  Still fires fine with the safety halfway up, my old Golani did the same thing  Sights were close out of the box and needed a little tweaking, some stringing after it got hot but acceptable for a battle rifle.

But the handguard retaining lever did not move, cover and stock are still tight and the trigger is surprisingly good.

Pretty happy overall.  Its a little on the pricey side, but the Century guns are bringing nearly what these are selling for.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I did backorder and ultimately get mine from Brownell's. 3 days once it shipped.

As far as surplus mags...some needed no adjustment to the feedlips. I did just work on one of the 50 rounders I have last night and it took more work as the metal seems a bit thicker around feedlips. Going to test it today though live.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Another 225 rounds today. Had one FTF with M855. Not sure if it likes the green tips. It's the only thing that I have had any type of issue with. Only two misfeeds, but if there were an issue it would be with those rounds. I've only fired about 65 green tips so 2 FTF is not atrocious. Fired mostly steel Wolf 55 grain today without issue out of surplus mags and after working on the 50 round mag it ran without issue. Total round count at this time is 650. Bullet guide has a VERY slight wobble now. Have been checking on it since I got the thing, hopefully it doesn't progress. Everything else is good. Overall enjoying the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Sure seeing a lot of reports about malfunctions.

A rifle that won't run well with the mags it was originally designed for? The mags that make the gun so iconic to begin with? Mags that have to be reshaped with pliers to get them to function reliably?

Yeah that's a hard PASS from me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sure seeing a lot of reports about malfunctions.

A rifle that won't run well with the mags it was originally designed for? The mags that make the gun so iconic to begin with? Mags that have to be reshaped with pliers to get them to function reliably?

Yeah that's a hard PASS from me.
View Quote
Went to the range again today and brought all my surplus mags (6) and only one worked, all the other wont make it through more than a couple rounds and a couple wont even pick up the first round even though several seemed fine cycling snap caps.  I only have two of the tapco mags and those run 100%.  The rear of the mag needs to be up higher.  Luckily the rounds sit a little higher in the tapco mags and they work.

I agree though, its kind of messed up the OE mags wont work, looks like mine isnt the only one.  This is just a range toy and I do have at least one OE mag that works, I'm sure I could bend up some others but since the tapcos work may as well use them.  If I would have known before I bought I probably would have taken a pass on one of these.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Is there still no source for new mag springs for surplus Galil mags?  I can't imagine so many surplus mags need feed lip adjustment.  Do original IMI rifles have the same issues with surplus mags?
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is there still no source for new mag springs for surplus Galil mags?  I can't imagine so many surplus mags need feed lip adjustment.  Do original IMI rifles have the same issues with surplus mags?
View Quote
I didn't have to adjust feedlips on all the surplus mags. I have 12 35 rounders and 1 50 rounder I have verified in the Galeo. About half, including the 50 rounder, needed adjustment. Some worked without issue. Most that needed adjustment needed very minor tweaking to open the spacing up and allow the rounds to rise. Took literally 10 seconds on most mags. The 50 has more steel around the lip area so took a few attempts but I got it working. To be honest, I've only taken my 372 out once since I got it a couple months back. It ran no issue of course. It better for 3k.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I dont think its the mag springs only, I used to have a century golani and a galil that was built by a local AK builder (forget who made the receiver) and they werent 100% with all the surplus mags I had.  When I sold them I gave three mags each that worked 100%, they were all IMI marked.  To be fair, the mags I have here are the ones that didnt run 100% in my previous rifles, one I may have adjusted to work and that may be the one that works with this one.

I'm not that upset about it, I'm sure I can make the mags work, overall this rifle is much nicer then the others I had.  Of course I'm sure a lot depends on the luck of the draw on the parts kit they start with, this ATI all the parts are in excellent condition, headspaces well with no bolt grinding and nothing is loose (so far).  I'm sure they cant make the rear of the mag too high up since it may hurt feeding into the chamber.

The new cetme-l rifles dont work with all stanag mags either (and will not work at all with original santa barbera mags), and the last AO Thompson i bought new went back twice with bolt over issues and they never fixed it.  I had to buy GI mags and hand fit the catch to make it run.  I dont want to dump on ATI, I think they are a step up from the century guns but whoever makes the receivers should maybe look at the magwell geometry compared to an original.  Also possible some bolt heads may be slightly different then some others or the rails may be a little high..

I dont know anyone with an original, but I never hear of any of the more popular builders having a lot of mag/feed issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Spent a little more time with the rifle the other day.  I went ahead and adjusted the feed lips a bit on the two mags that would not feed at all (one SA and one IMI) and got them to run 100%.  As mentioned above it didnt take much bending to get them to work.

Put another 200 rounds through it, 55gr federal, and the inside still looks good.  Starting to see some peening on the rear of the bolt from the hammer, its pretty thin back there with the spring loaded firing pin mod.  But no different then what was happening with the Golani I had with the R4 bolt, at least this one wont hang up the firing pin like the R4 bolt. Everything is still tight, nothing fell off.  I did open up the slot for safety lever so it would 'click' in, it was a little shallow/narrow and the dimple on the lever was worn so the notch wasnt doing anything.  Now the safety doesnt move when firing any more.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it for the money, way nicer than the Golani I had and those are selling used at nearly the same money.  Granted its a boutique gun, a grand will get a pretty nice AR or AK, but I always wanted a decent one and wont shell out 3K for a real one.  I did end up putting a bipod on it (got a QD from sarco in VGC) to get the complete ARM look, figured if my wife didnt complain about the weight I shouldnt either :)

Link Posted: 7/9/2019 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn't have to adjust feedlips on all the surplus mags. I have 12 35 rounders and 1 50 rounder I have verified in the Galeo. About half, including the 50 rounder, needed adjustment. Some worked without issue. Most that needed adjustment needed very minor tweaking to open the spacing up and allow the rounds to rise. Took literally 10 seconds on most mags. The 50 has more steel around the lip area so took a few attempts but I got it working. To be honest, I've only taken my 372 out once since I got it a couple months back. It ran no issue of course. It better for 3k.
View Quote
How are you adjusting the mag feed lips?  Could you post a pic of where you bend?
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How are you adjusting the mag feed lips?  Could you post a pic of where you bend?
View Quote
No set place, just play with it to open it up some and allow the rounds to sit higher. If it needs adjustment it won't be much. Smack the mag, after you adjust and load it, and make sure that it doesn't drop rounds. If it does you probably went too far. Once you have one that has been adjusted and the rounds ride high enough it'll be evident how it should look when compared to one that won't work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Got 10 more mags in and started messing with them. Just a heads up, it may be either side of the feed lips or both that need to be adjusted. The ones I got completed at the house again required a very minor bend outwards of the lip/lips. Hand cycling sucks though and my knuckles are bruised up from the rounds ejecting so I'm just going to do the adjustments at the range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks like AIM has them back in stock. Plastic handguard with the stock reinforcement piece.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I took my ATI Galil out to the range last night, it ran both the Tapco and my  Surplus mag just fine, I didn't get to test the other one I brought because the follower kept sticking on sand that I didn't fully remove when I got it. I could not believe the group I got at 50 yards, under an inch with iron sights. I love this rifle! The only issue I'm having is the rear flip sights are super tight and gritty, I guess from the parkerizing? Is there a good way to clean that up without taking the screw out?

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Want to see ATI building your rifle?  It is a ton of handwork. No wonder they get released in batches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXT5G0UuZM
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I took my ATI Galil out to the range last night, it ran both the Tapco and my  Surplus mag just fine, I didn't get to test the other one I brought because the follower kept sticking on sand that I didn't fully remove when I got it. I could not believe the group I got at 50 yards, under an inch with iron sights. I love this rifle! The only issue I'm having is the rear flip sights are super tight and gritty, I guess from the parkerizing? Is there a good way to clean that up without taking the screw out?

https://i.imgur.com/xEptP1S.jpg
View Quote
I have the same problem with the rear sight, I have to press in on the ball bearing to get mine to move.  I will probably replace my top cover with an R4 one that I just acquired.  It looks like you did better than me on the wood hand guards, mine look awful and are very loose.  My second rifle  which is one of the plastic hand guard models does not have the sight issue and the plastic hand guards are new and tight.  It is overall better quality, it is only missing the rear night sight. the only thing I have noticed about it so far is that the rear of the magwell is tighter than the wood hand guard rifle.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top