Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 7:13:01 PM EDT
I figure I'll do a build with a Yugo parts kit, but I started thinking (for once).  I remembered that my Yugo SKS doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, since Yugoslavia has no chromium deposits.  Is this the same for the AKs or did they finally import some for the barrels?????

I like the Yugos alot, they look nice, but have a chrome lined barrel is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
No chrome lined Yugo M70's.

Unless someone put a completely different barrel on.......
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let the non-chromed barrel deal get you down. Last time I checked, Centerfire had some pretty decent kits still available, but you had to ask for them. The builder who did mine got his from the same batch, and the barrel is in better shape than my M59/66A1 SKS.

Even my freckled barrel M59 SKS puts out some decent groups. Just as long as there is some decent rifling left, I don't see why it shouldn't print well on paper, or whatever you're shooting at.

If that route doesn't suite your needs, then one of the already built Yugo's are just as good. They have new Green Mountain barrels, and are just about in the price range of a kit build.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I figure I'll do a build with a Yugo parts kit, but I started thinking (for once).  I remembered that my Yugo SKS doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, since Yugoslavia has no chromium deposits.  Is this the same for the AKs or did they finally import some for the barrels?????

I like the Yugos alot, they look nice, but have a chrome lined barrel is always a good thing.

This is not true, the lack of chrome lining is because the Yugos couldn't figure out how to do it right.

I don't know where the idea first came from that Yugoslavia has no chromium deposits, but it's been perpetuated extensively over the internet.

The (former) Yugoslavia and Albania both have chromium deposits. Albania was at one time one of the largest producers of chromium in the world.

no chrome, huh?

O rly?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Yugo SKS with a barrel that looked like it had no rifling when I got it.   The barrel was so rusted inside I was worried that it would never function.   After scrubbing the holy hell out of it she still looked awful.   I fired about 50 or so rounds downrange without issue and it was shooting all over the place until the last 20 or so when it started to group decently.   Firing it cleaned it up quite a bit better than I could with a bore brush and every solvent I could lay my hands on.   It now shoots very respectably.   I dont think I'd worry about the chrome lining too much in the AK/SKS platform, they're far from MOA guns in the first place.

The firing cleaned it up enough I can see that the rifling isnt in bad shape, but the bore is pitted all to hell.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
That is strange... then the Yugo's must have finally figured out how to do it. Because the M95 and M85 series are all chrome lined (.223).  Strangely however, the M92 I have in 7.62x39mm (made in 2004) is NOT chrome lined. I think perhaps the chrome lining is simply a matter of choice on the part of Zastava to comply with NATO standards.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That is strange... then the Yugo's must have finally figured out how to do it. Because the M95 and M85 series are all chrome lined (.223).  Strangely however, the M92 I have in 7.62x39mm (made in 2004) is NOT chrome lined. I think perhaps the chrome lining is simply a matter of choice on the part of Zastava to comply with NATO standards.

100% correct. That was a NATO standard for building.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Yugoslav models do not have chrome lined barrels due to the fact that there are no significant deposits of chromium in the country.

Thats from Wikapedia (yes i know not always correct)

The main difference between the typical SKS carbines and the Yugoslav versions is that the bores of the Yugo versions were not chrome plated. The reason for this is because Yugoslavia has no significant native chromium ore deposits.

That though, is from "collecting and shooting the milsurplus rifle"
Well I know Wikapedia may be wrong, that website is the Bible of surplus weapons, if that is wrong, the world is going to shit
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yugoslav models do not have chrome lined barrels due to the fact that there are no significant deposits of chromium in the country.

Thats from Wikapedia (yes i know not always correct)

The main difference between the typical SKS carbines and the Yugoslav versions is that the bores of the Yugo versions were not chrome plated. The reason for this is because Yugoslavia has no significant native chromium ore deposits.

That though, is from "collecting and shooting the milsurplus rifle"
Well I know Wikapedia may be wrong, that website is the Bible of surplus weapons, if that is wrong, the world is going to shit

It's wrong. Just like not everything you read in gun rags is true, not everything in online articles is true either.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top