Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:38:33 AM EDT
I know almost nothing about these. I would like to pick up a few as truck/trunk guns. Which are the better ones? How do I tell them apart? What should I look for good and bad? I know they can be had for cheap and shoot the same round as my AK. Thats all I knoe. School me please.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a really good site. www.simonov.net
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I just found that site on another post. I am in the process of reading it now. Did any of them have chrome bores? Still not sure which make is better than any of the others.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I *think* all of them except the Yugos have chrome bore.

For a truck gun I prefer the Chinese, but if you don't mind the non-chrome bore or the extra weight a Yugo should be fine. The Russians are generally considered the best but they're probably too pricey for a truck gun when you can have the Chinese for half the price.

SKS's are acurate up to a few hundred yards, and when left in stock configuration are very reliable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Since the Chinese ones were banned they've tripled in value. Not exactly trunk guns anymore. I've seen cosmetically impaired ones go for $150 and mint ones for as much as $300. I have a couple Yugo SKS's. One unissued one and a good grade shooter. The new one looks a heck of a lot better and is all matching numbers. But the good one is solid and shoots just as well! That, in spite of it's frosted bore.  Now THATS a trunk gun. It was just $89.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone needs at least one SKS! That's what you need to know. They're too cheap and durable not to have at least one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#6]
When you get one, and you will, don't change a thing. Too many people try to turn it into a gun that it isn't. If you do decide to change out parts(new stock or mags or whatever) keep the originals you will want to change back soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When you get one, and you will, don't change a thing. Too many people try to turn it into a gun that it isn't. If you do decide to change out parts(new stock or mags or whatever) keep the originals you will want to change back soon enough.

Yeah, as someone here once (many times) said:

"Don't Tapco-fuck that SKS!"

No Expert
(owner of a nice Yugo SKS)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, as someone here once (many times) said:

"Don't Tapco-fuck that SKS!"

No Expert
(owner of a nice Yugo SKS)

LOL.. I can't count the number of modified/custom/pimped SKS's I've seen.... Some guys will take a $150 rifle and bolt on or switch out twice that on accessories and crap...
In the end.. It's still a $150 SKS
Shoots okay, but you can't polish a turd
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]

If you do decide to change out parts(new stock or mags or whatever) keep the originals you will want to change back soon enough.

I don't know about that. I have purchased 9 SKS's since the late 80s. Three of them have folding stocks/detach mags etc. I like the versatility of the different configurations and wouldn't change them back for anything.

Don't get me wrong, I like a stock configuration too, but there is nothing wrong with a folding stock & detach mag as long as you keep it legal. All of the Tapco parts I've ever used work great.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
www.surplusrifle.com/sks/

ETA Fixed it.

Would not go hot link the other day fixed it today
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
They are all crap.
Especially the Norinco SKS's.
If you find any send them to me and I will take care of them for you.

Kidding aside,
I have 4 Norinco SKS's (one is a paratrooper) and want more!
Changing them into different configurations is half the fun for the poor man.

As for the 'turd" comment I have kicked the snot out of AR shooters during informal competitions before with my "cheap turd" costing $150.00 up against those space ranger guns costing over a grand. Enough said.

Its not the tool it is the operator my friend.
The SKS is a good tool to have on hand.

BEWARE!!!

SKS's are just like potato chips. You just can't have one!

RW3
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
you know i understand the people that say don't change a thing, but i like the monte carlo stock and the ultra light stocks just because there longer and therefor more comfortable to me and i like the usa 30rd mags too.  So thats what i use but then again thats me.  Do what you like man, because its your gun and no one elses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

To be honest that is really BS and only applies for certain people. If you wanna change your rifle change it. If you like how it looks with "add on crap" (not crap, IMO) then use it. Use anything that makes you a better shooter.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you know i understand the people that say don't change a thing, but i like the monte carlo stock and the ultra light stocks just because there longer and therefor more comfortable to me and i like the usa 30rd mags too.  So thats what i use but then again thats me.  Do what you like man, because its your gun and no one elses.

I have only read what people have posted on several sites,  so you may need to check around and see if someone has done it before you do. Might save you some money.

What I read is that the front of the magazines don't have anything to hook onto so they come loose and you loose autofeed ability. This may change with different stocks, I personally don't know but I haven't seen this issue address in any advertisments as being solved when you buy a large capacity magazine. I have seen several post about people going back to fixed 10 ropund because the removable mags just didn't work.

Just something to check into. Please post what you find out or what you have success with.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I love this clasic post. A new guy asks a few questions about the SKS, and nine times out of ten, it turns into a debate on weather or not to modify it. Now, I'm not slamming anyone at all. I myself have a modified SKS. I plan to keep it that way, but I am in the market for another one, so I can keep it in its original classic form.

Tippman, my opinion is, get an SKS and have some fun. I would say that any cheap one will do. As for a "trunk" gun, I would stay away from the Yugo. Its lenght and front weight might not be good for you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as shooting goes, they shoot straight up to 250+ and they will fire every time. I have seen guys out with their 900$ bushmasters and such with pimped out everything and jam once every 2 or 3 mags. i have never jamed once with my sks  the only problem i have had are shitty wolf primers. so buy it if your looking for a gun to just go out and blow rounds through. you wont regret it and i think everyone hear can atleast agree to that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As far as shooting goes, they shoot straight up to 250+ and they will fire every time. I have seen guys out with their 900$ bushmasters and such with pimped out everything and jam once every 2 or 3 mags. i have never jamed once with my sks  the only problem i have had are shitty wolf primers. so buy it if your looking for a gun to just go out and blow rounds through. you wont regret it and i think everyone hear can atleast agree to that.

+1
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top