Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:56:47 AM EDT
Guys,

I just bought a Yugo SKS w/ grenade launcher and the bolt is a gigantic pain in the ass to disassemble.  The firing pin retaining pin never wants to go in easily and it takes many whacks with a mallet for it to do so.

My problem is this:  

I took apart the bolt to get all the cosmoline off it, now when I put it back together the firing pin can slide a good two inches out the front of the bolt.  It doesn't come out, but it seems to slide a hell of a lot farther than it should be able to.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or what.  My guess is no.

What did I do wrong?  How do I fix it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to Surplus rifle .com You should be able to find the answer there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go to Surplus rifle .com You should be able to find the answer there.

No, damn it!

That's the place that got me so pissed off in the first place.  One of the tutorials said to "lightly tap" the retaining pin out of the bolt.  "Tap" my ass!  In the course of removing it I broke a punch, bent a punch, and shattered a cinder block.  

I'll not be taking any advice from surplusrifle on this one (and besides, they say nothing about the pin).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
same i got so fed up with getting the retaining pin out i just bought a new firing pin assembaly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
www.simonov.net   Good site!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Figured it out, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
At least you got yours apart.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
At least you got yours apart.  

Yeah, seriously.  I ended up putting a towel over a cinder block, used one of the metal punches from the cleaning kit (I dont know what else it could have been), and whacked on it with a metal hammer.  

The trick is in the follow through.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't you just soak the rascal in acetone (or kerosene) to get the cosmo off, then lube it up afterward?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope. The thing has to be disassembled.

Any crud in there can cause the FP to stick forward making an SKS a FA machine gun.

ALL SKS's need to have the pin removed and properly reinstalled so that there is 1/4" of travel.

I turned the FP retaining pin down a few thousandths; not enough so that it'd slip back in and be loose; just so it requires only a bit of tapping from a ball-peen hammer to reseat it fully--rather than several dozen all-out blasts from Mjollnir (Thor's Hammer)!!

After the thing is disassembled you need to spray some WD-40 or something into the FP channel and swab it out with a doubled-over pipecleaner or a .22 brush until the cleaning fluid runs out clear. I elected to Flitz the FP itself with a Dremel and some Flitz on a felt wheel...it took a high polish and is now as safe as can be for the design.

Good luck, guys. And don't neglect this vital procedure.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I stand corrected.

As it turns out, I had to disassemble my bolt assembly this past weekend due to a broken firing pin.  Luckily, the retaining pin on mine popped right out.  I just used the little punch in the cleaning kit (I was in the woods at the time) and bingo.

Sorry you had such a tough time with it.  Hope you didn't try and take the pin out backward or something
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top