Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
I have a shitload of cosmoline and lacquer built up under my extractor and in with the firing pin.  Only way I can figure to take it apart is to knock the pin out from the side opposing the extractor.  That about right? If not how do I do it?  I've had a couple of slam fires and I'm scared it'll go full auto if I don't get it clean.  I'm also kind of excited that it will but I don't need the atf up my ass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
surplus rifle

you'll have to bang the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you really have to bang the hell out of it to get the pin out. Once the pin comes out though it's a breeze.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks ya'll.  I'm drilling tonight for a USPSA match tommorrow but when I get home, it'll get done.  I bought some tracers that I want to shoot in the dark tommorrow night, but I want the damn thing perfect first.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is a good idea to get teh bolt cleaned before firing it. With the firing pin channel full of cosmoline SKSs have a tendency to keep firing after you have released the trigger, this is not a good thing, in this condition an out of battery firing is highly likely.

Yeah that's why I'm making sure it's good before I shoot these little beasties.  I had it pretty clean to begin with but put about 500 through it thursday in some pretty dusty conditions.  It was hot, cosmoline came off and the red shit off the ammo added to that and the dust to make some pretty nasty stuff.  I'm gonna try to get some video tonight of the tracers.  I'm gonna lob a few across my father in law's fields (farmer) and I'm gonna put a few into some steel plates from 50 yards.  Should make a decent show.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Took me an hour of wailing away to get the pin to come out...sheesh...Hope you have better luck with yours.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't get it.  It's fucking welded in or something.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You need to beat it like a red-headed stepchild.  Really you do.  I was smacking the shit out of mine so hard I was afraid I'd break something, but finally it came out.  As far as I can tell, many people have trouble getting it out, and most  have to beat the living hell out of it to get it to budge.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Toldja it's in there good.

I doubt it's welded, you've just REALLY gotta smack it. Like the other guy said, it took me abuot an hour of sweat and frustration and anger, but it finally came out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine required a hardened drift and a 2lb hammer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't get a pic to come out clear.  It's dimpled the back of the pin and spread it over the outside of the bolt.  I'm going to go after it with a press.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Hrm...This may sound stupid, so please don't get mad, but are you smacking the little round end of the pin or the larger flat end that sits on the bolt, rather than in it?  I don't see how you could have possibly flattened the little round out out as it's kinda constrained by its hole.

And if all else fails...a press will certainly work! .  Just be careful not to bend the firing pin.  Have you tried soaking the bolt assembly completely submerged in solvent for a few hours yet?  I also used a pressure steamer to get some gunk out before I tried battering it out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hrm...This may sound stupid, so please don't get mad, but are you smacking the little round end of the pin or the larger flat end that sits on the bolt, rather than in it?  I don't see how you could have possibly flattened the little round out out as it's kinda constrained by its hole.

And if all else fails...a press will certainly work! .  Just be careful not to bend the firing pin.  Have you tried soaking the bolt assembly completely submerged in solvent for a few hours yet?  I also used a pressure steamer to get some gunk out before I tried battering it out.

It sticks a hair out of the flared part of the hole.  It's dented and when the pin dented it spread slightly into that flair.  I'm hitting the correct side.  I've thought about baking it to heat it up and seeing if that would help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine didn't stick out of the hole at all, so I guess I couldn't have flared it out if I tried.  It certainly sounds like you're having a harder time of it than usual.  Baking it may certainly help, just make sure you put it on a metal pan as cosmoline and other crap may leak out (and you don't want that stuff on the inside of your oven!).  You may very well have to use even MORE force than you've been using to get it out .  Sounds like it's stuck in there for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can't get a pic to come out clear.  It's dimpled the back of the pin and spread it over the outside of the bolt.  I'm going to go after it with a press.

Yeah, mine did that too. Eventually it gave way though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mine didn't stick out of the hole at all, so I guess I couldn't have flared it out if I tried.  It certainly sounds like you're having a harder time of it than usual.  Baking it may certainly help, just make sure you put it on a metal pan as cosmoline and other crap may leak out (and you don't want that stuff on the inside of your oven!).  You may very well have to use even MORE force than you've been using to get it out .  Sounds like it's stuck in there for sure.

I have a pizza oven at work.  That's how I got the cosmoline off in the first place.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top