Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2005 11:44:31 AM EDT
I'd like to get another 7.62x39 rifle to go along with my PMKMS kit I will be receiving soon.  Are the Yugos the best to buy right now?  I'd like to find something in good shape, but not necessarily collector grade.  Either that or a complete rifle that is in good enough shape that it can be stripped and refurbished.

Just trolling for suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'd like to get another 7.62x39 rifle to go along with my PMKMS kit I will be receiving soon.  Are the Yugos the best to buy right now?  I'd like to find something in good shape, but not necessarily collector grade.  Either that or a complete rifle that is in good enough shape that it can be stripped and refurbished.

Just trolling for suggestions.

Aim for a Chinese (Pun intended). They're cheap, have chrome-lined barrels, and are reliable shooters. I'd only get a Yugo if it was on sale or if it was all I could find. Nothing against YUGOs, but they don't have Chrome barrels which makes cleaning them take a little longer. You could get a shooter grade YUGO for under 100$, and refinish it in gunkote or something.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If I was to only own one sks,it would be a chinese.However the yugos are one of the best deals going right now in centerfire rifles IMHO.Buy as good condition as you can afford,not a huge difference between shooter grade and excellent.Gas system problems seem to be most prevalent with the cheaper ones,although there are a lot of people who have fixed these to be reliable rifles.Also if you can find one for a decent price in your area,the russian made saiga's are a nice 7.62X39 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a nice Russian.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So by Chinese you mean Norinco?
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes, Norinco is chinese. Although if a Chinese isn't available, a Russian or as a last resort a Romanian would work. Most of the Rus/Chin SKSs I've seen looked pretty good as is, however most of the Rommys I've seen don't. Spend a few hours on the wood and spray the metal with gunkote.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Norinco is chinese. Although if a Chinese isn't available, a Russian or as a last resort a Romanian would work. Most of the Rus/Chin SKSs I've seen looked pretty good as is, however most of the Rommys I've seen don't. Spend a few hours on the wood and spray the metal with gunkote.

Ben

Cool, thank you. I didn't know if there was another Chinese version that was more desirable. Not that it really matters as I have a Norinco 1911 that is awesome, and from what I've seen , as long as they stick to the design and keep the tolerances up when manufacturing, they build as good a gun as anybody.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ben

Cool, thank you. I didn't know if there was another Chinese version that was more desirable. Not that it really matters as I have a Norinco 1911 that is awesome, and from what I've seen , as long as they stick to the design and keep the tolerances up when manufacturing, they build as good a gun as anybody.

The sweetest version of the SKS that the chinese produced were the D & M models. They accept AK mags, making them much more fun to shoot and more collectable.

ben
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Go Yougo!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Russian or Chinese
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Russian or Chinese

We have a winner.

However, if you happen to obtain a North Korean, Vietnamese, or East German, shoot the crap out of it (Put a drum on it and bump fire it till the handguards burn) and let us know how it goes.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The consensus in the last thread was that while the norincos generally looked like crap, they were the most accurate (accuracy being relative, of course).

I'm a little biased (I also own a norinco SKS) I'd find a chinese if at all possible.

I'm also thinking that a yugo would make a nice trunk gun though -- cheap enough I don't really care about the finish on it, if it gets scratched up, it wouldn't bother me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The consensus in the last thread was that while the norincos generally looked like crap, they were the most accurate (accuracy being relative, of course).

I'm a little biased (I also own a norinco SKS) I'd find a chinese if at all possible.

I'm also thinking that a yugo would make a nice trunk gun though -- cheap enough I don't really care about the finish on it, if it gets scratched up, it wouldn't bother me.

Look like crap? Huh? They look pretty spiffy to me, just  not as nice as the Russian Laminate wood or the blonde woodstocked Yugos.

Ben
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I have owned a few, and the only one I ended up not liking was a paratrooper Chinese, it wasn't cycling consistently for me. The Russian is my most accurate, with the Chinese a very close second. My Russian is the best looking, plus it is the original Simonov, of course I paid more for it than the Chinese.  My Yugo SKS "shooter" was least expensive, and is the one to grab if I want to toss it in the truck and go burn up some ammo, fun definitely comes to mind. All are good rifles IMHO. By the way, I have an extra Yugo shooter and an extra Chinese in excellent shape, let me know if you are interested. Sorry 'bout the shameless self promotion, cash is a little tight at the moment, my renters moved out but the mortgage payment didn't.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look like crap? Huh? They look pretty spiffy to me, just  not as nice as the Russian Laminate wood or the blonde woodstocked Yugos.

img205.imageshack.us/img205/544/boltsidesks0rh.th.jpg

img133.imageshack.us/img133/5660/sksleftfront2al.th.jpg

img133.imageshack.us/img133/9154/grainofskswood2mw.th.jpg

Ben

Oh, I've got one, and its in great shape.   A lot of people can't stand the orange/red wood, and I've seen more norincos that have been beat to crap than any other type.  THAT is what the previous threads had referred to as "looking like crap".

Great shooters though.  Absolutely LOVE mine, orange finish and all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img205.imageshack.us/img205/544/boltsidesks0rh.th.jpg</a>

img133.imageshack.us/img133/5660/sksleftfront2al.th.jpg</a>

img133.imageshack.us/img133/9154/grainofskswood2mw.th.jpg</a>

Ben

Oh, I've got one, and its in great shape.   A lot of people can't stand the orange/red wood, and I've seen more norincos that have been beat to crap than any other type.  THAT is what the previous threads had referred to as "looking like crap".

Great shooters though.  Absolutely LOVE mine, orange finish and all.

I want to refinish mine in a blonde/laminate color. Would look really nice.

ben
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are only going to have one SKS, make it a Norinco.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#17]
my yugo has a chrome lined barrel but it was made in 1989 and was like new .
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
my yugo has a chrome lined barrel but it was made in 1989 and was like new .

Not to doubt you,but are you sure?If your yugo is chromed,it would be the first one I have ever heard of that is.I have a few made in the mid 80's,and they are nonchromed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Dumb question...I've owned my Chinese SKS for about 13 years, Factory 26, does that mean it is a Norinco?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dumb question...I've owned my Chinese SKS for about 13 years, Factory 26, does that mean it is a Norinco?

Yup. Yours was made in the Chinese military arms factory where they made most of the actual chinese military weapons. IIRC mine was from the same factory too. What year?

Ben
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know the year of mfg.  I picked it out of the crate in 91 or 92, no date stamps that I can tell on it...well not in my language. I've tried one of the SKS s/n search studies but the link was NG.  Came with the pig poker, cleaning kit, sling, etc. For a $125 and the paratrooper model my buddy bought was $115. Damn good buy.

It shoots pretty damn good with the iron sights... I'm hoping to put a decent stock and scope on it one day.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top