Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 4:54:39 PM EDT
 i got a yugo sks about 2 1/2 years ago and i am able to take the folding bayonet off by just unscrewing the screw that holds it on. but the other week one of my friends sent me his yugo that he just got a few weeks back so i could clean all the cosmoline out of it and refinish the stock. wile i was taking the gun apart i found out that the bayonet screw is pinned in place so you cant remove it. was this done because of a new law that i missed? my gun is definatly older and most likely used by military forces of some kind. i was just wondering if there was actually such thing as a pre-ban yugo sks.

thanks.
                                                                                            damian
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, no pre-ban yugo's.   All of them were built before the ban, but none were imported (that I know of) till after the ban, and in this case, importation date is what counts.

Any idea when yours was built compared to his?  Could just be a sligh change in the manufacturing from one run to another.  Do either of them have night sights?  If so, is one painted on instead of being the little tubes of radioactive stuff (had a brain fart- forgot the name).  The ones with tubes are newest (mine is like this, was built in 1989), the paint is next oldest, then the one's without night sights.  There was a sight that had gathered info and figured out manufacturing dates based on the first letter in the serial number of the Yugo's, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Basically, the pinned screw is nothing to worry about though.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So can the bayonet be taken off?  I tried on mine and litterly stripped the screw trying, my only option is to saw it off where it's connected to the barrel.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it can be taken off.  You said the screw was pinned in place on yours?  Did you try taking out the pin first?  Unless you're sure you will never want to re-attach it, don't cut it off.  If you're never gonna put it back on, I'd say go ahead and cut it off, then go ahead and grind the lug down to make the gun look cleaner.

My question would have to be though, why do you want to take it off at all?  In my opinion, the bayonet is part of the guns charachter, and part of what makes them pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a Yugo over the weekend. The screw holding the Bayonet on is stamped or knurled over not pinned. That baby ain't coming out easily. I suppose if you were going the synthetic stock route you might want to remove it. Mine is staying as is. I just love real wood.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with you AtLarge, I love the way the wood looks on mine.  I sanded it down so it would have a nice even color to it, then took some linseed oil to it, and it's downright beautiful looking now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#6]
well i wasnt really worried. my bayo skrew is just fine. no pins or whatever they do to hold it on. all i do is skrew it off. comes off perfect. i was just wondering if the change in production would make my rifles value go up a tad.  also. i agree with the wood. i completely refinished mine. thing is sweet lookin.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top