Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:59:25 PM EDT
I don't want to start an argument about the best AK. I want one of the better makes for a future project. I don't know anything about AK's really. I just shoot mine, a cheap MAADI. Right now I'm thinking about putting a AR type collapsible stock, different pistol grip, three rail handguard with foreward grip, FH, maybe change the rear sight to a peep. Who knows, these are just some of my ideas right now. Basically I want something that starts as a quality weapon and turns out to be something that's reliable and fairly accurate. I've been reading about the parts count, I'll check into that more before I make any decisions. Anyone done this yet? Any input from you guys? What make AK, what parts should I replace? Let me know, I'm here to learn. Thanks.

ETA, Are the safety's with the bolt hold open notch any good?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Something like this?

I took a Romanian Sar-1 and did all the mods myself. Personally I think the collapsable AR stocks like the m4 style kind of look goofy on an AK, the lines just don't fit. On a stalled Saiga project I'm mounting a VOLTOR A2 buttstock on a 20" Saiga that I think will look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's reall close to what I want to do. WHa is that light nount? I've never seen one like that before. Is that and the foreward grip all one piece? What type of forearm is that? I'm more function over form, so the goofy looking thing isn't a problem. If it was I wouldn't look in the mirror again.

ETA: That's even the color I want to use. Is there any reliability issues with the stock adapter?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
No problems with the adaptor at all its rock solid, doesn't look like it would be, but it is. The lower handguard, light mount, and folding forward vertical grip are all seperate. All made by TDI arms out of Isreal (no US parts from them), so is the pistol grip. I bought them all (except for the buttstock) at www.blackjackbuffers.com.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
SWEET! that's exactly what I needed. So would you suggest a Romanian Ak to build on? Yugo?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The SAR-1 was pretty much what was available to me locally at the time, I might have gone Norinco had I had more time to look around locally. Now I really like the Saigas, but they require some surgery to apply regular AKM handguards. My 20" Saiga is MUCH nicer than the SAR-1 and they can be had for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
So the Saigi in your opinion? Which is Russian right? I'm looking for something with around a 16 in barrel. Another question I have is a flash hider. I see a lot of muzzle breaks and stuff, what's the deal with flash hiders? Should I use something American? Maybe a 7.62 FH from Armalite?

ETA, An American made flash hider would count as a muzzle device right? So it would add to the American parts count?
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top