Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2011 4:50:10 PM EDT
I know this has to have been asked before but i cant find anything. Is it possible to put a slant brake on a sgl-21? The little bit of information i found when i googled it said it involved changing the front sight out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to put a slant brake on it, when you should put an AK-74 break on it, if you can. Watch this.

Link Posted: 4/14/2011 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I completely agree with PT on the 74 brake but if you must have a slant brake yes you will need to change out the FSB.

Punch the two pins out then press the FSB block off, put an AKM FSB on and then thread the barrel for the slant brake.

Z
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for keeping the 74 brake

Also the 74 brake is the correct muzzle attachment for the AK-100 series rifles, your SGL is essentially a semi version of the AK-103 (if i remember correctly) with the black synthetic, smooth top cover, and 24mm threads.  If you must have the look of a 70's era AKM with the slant brake, I suggest getting a good WASR or SAR-1 and dressing it in russian laminate furnature.  Your SGL is the most modern and refined version of the Kalashnikov assault rifles, and I would not recomend reducing its performance.

But its your rifle so configure it the way you like it, if your just looking for something different look at CNC warriors 24mm attachments.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah just a personal preference thing, i like the akm style a lot better and thats where i was planning on going with it. I was pretty set on modifying the arsenal to what I wanted but it looks like I could save time and money in the long run and get the KA red classic. Considering the vector with the wood stock that atlantic makes also but i like the all new izhmash parts over the surplus parts with a domestic receiver. Again just a preference thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
A case of form over function.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
don't get a slant brake get a flash suppressor. the flash off a 74 brake is very prominent at night. 74 brakes are good for recoil control but they will light you up at night.

Quoted:

I know this has to have been asked before but i cant find anything. Is it possible to put a slant brake on a sgl-21? The little bit of information i found when i googled it said it involved changing the front sight out.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
The new WASRs are supposedly that, new.  Get one of those if you want an AKM.  Leave that poor Russian SGL alone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually considered taking a SGL-21, and swapping out the FSB / FGB for an AKM one.

Sounds like I'm not the only crazy one here.

But I didn't
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top