Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 10:36:44 PM EDT
Ok, so I am pretty big into hunting, fishing, and all that.

I have always wanted an AK, for general target shooting(b.s. stuff), turtle killing (stocked tanks), hog hunting, and misc. future-SHTF situations.

Well, I went ahead and saved my money, by buying an entry level Romanian WASR-10.

It is in pretty good shape. I shot a clip through it the other day, cleaned it all up, etc. I really do love the gun. Amazing weapon.

Here's a few shots of it:

http://cdorton.com/ak-47/1_ak47.jpg

http://cdorton.com/ak-47/2_ak47.jpg

http://cdorton.com/ak-47/me_ak-47_2_edited.jpg

Anyway, what I want to do is replace the plastic pistol grip w/ a wooden one, and in matching wood, replace the front handguard(is that what it's called?) w/ a pistol grip. I would, in addition, like to match the same wood on the gas chamber.

Is there anywhere I can get a 3 piece set? Or even each individually?

I plan on swapping on a new receiver cover, w/ integrated rail system, but I might keep it looking more authentic, and throw on the side rail dealie...

I dunno, yet. I really love these guns, and this site is making me want too many more.

Here's some comparable ideas of what I'm trying to do:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/dogface-gi/W-10-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/cruzie27/AK%20family/P1010302.jpg

http://www.ycsi.net/users/gunsmith/rifle_pics/romanians.jpg

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL16/709417/8250177/126401891.jpg

Thanks in advance.

-Christian D.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, they whack those turtles pretty good. Where in TX are you.

Copes Dist  has what you need.

http://www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Huntsville.

Sam Houston State - studying criminal justice

That was actually the site I bookmarked for the front pistol grip.

That's all I could find, though:

http://www.copesdist.com/images/RomanianPistolgripforearm.jpg

No matching rear wood grip or gas chamber dealie...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
first, dont replace the top cover. you have a side rail for a mount. get a good side rail scope mount with a rail and u can put whatever you want on there, and it will hold zero. the top covers will never hold zero.

second, if your willing to refinish the wood yourself, you can find LOTS of the rommy stocksets on the market right now. the rommy parts kits are all over and alot of people are replacing there old wood with american stuff for compliance parts. post an ad in the WTB EE section and im sure you can get a set cheap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
DO NOT get a dust cover scope mount, they SUCK and are a pain in the ass. Use the rail on the reciever. you can either get a picatinny base that will attach to that rail or a scope with an integrated mount to attach to it.

DO NOT use any sight by a maker that is not used by either the US or Russian military (something I have learned the hard, expensive way)

Just buy a complete stock kit. I would get either a romanian, or other european side folder in place of that awful thing that is on it now, but that is just me, you might actually like it. dont forget to put in extra US made parts (floor plates and followers in your mags count too, last I checked, but for that to work I think you have to rebuild ALL you mags, you might want to check with the local BATFE office on that topic)

Btw, yes, it is called the front handguard or LOWER front handguard. the top peice can be called the UPPER hand guard, or (more approprately IMNSHO) the gas tube cover.

If your magazines are having a really tight fit, open up the magwell slightly (about a mm each way) with a file or dremel. if you use a dremel be careful not to take away too much, you cant put it back once you do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a Romanian stockset at a good price, I see that Krebs has them for only $12.  Doesn't look like it comes with any metal hardware and I don't know what they would charge for shipping but $12 for a Romanian stockset is a bargain.

Here's their site: www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html

It's near the bottom of the page.

ETA: It looks like min shipping is $10 for 1 set, it's $12 shipping for 2 sets and $15 total for 3 sets.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DO NOT get a dust cover scope mount, they SUCK and are a pain in the ass. Use the rail on the reciever. you can either get a picatinny base that will attach to that rail or a scope with an integrated mount to attach to it.

DO NOT use any sight by a maker that is not used by either the US or Russian military (something I have learned the hard, expensive way)

Just buy a complete stock kit. I would get either a romanian, or other european side folder in place of that awful thing that is on it now, but that is just me, you might actually like it. dont forget to put in extra US made parts (floor plates and followers in your mags count too, last I checked, but for that to work I think you have to rebuild ALL you mags, you might want to check with the local BATFE office on that topic)

Btw, yes, it is called the front handguard or LOWER front handguard. the top peice can be called the UPPER hand guard, or (more approprately IMNSHO) the gas tube cover.

If your magazines are having a really tight fit, open up the magwell slightly (about a mm each way) with a file or dremel. if you use a dremel be careful not to take away too much, you cant put it back once you do.

why do i have to have a certain number of american made parts?

the side folding stock is a tapco, which i have read alot of members do not like. i like it. it's an american part.

the guy i bought my gun from(and it was n.i.b.), had some other variations. i could have gone w/ a solid wood stock, or an underfolder. i happen to like the side folder the most(for now)...

it says on the side it was made in romania, imported to virginia... so i would assume it is already all legal, no?

thanks for the advice on the side rail mounting scopes.

my magazines fit perfectly. i have four, what appear to be russian(i have tried to figure out, from the pic thread), 30rd clips, and one 20rd clip. i plan on getting some more.

i'm not a big fan of the rear pistol grip on the krebs' site.

where do you think the members(whom i posted their guns) got their "furniture"?

thanks for all the replies, fellas.

typically, i waste my money modding my trucks, but this whole ak thing is getting addicting. i already have ideas of how i want to build up a nicer one, in the future... and i have to keep from looking at the ar-15 portion of the forum, b/c it makes me want to spend wayyyyyy too much money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you want a Romanian stockset at a good price, I see that Krebs has them for only $12.  Doesn't look like it comes with any metal hardware and I don't know what they would charge for shipping but $12 for a Romanian stockset is a bargain.

Here's their site: www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html

It's near the bottom of the page.

ETA: It looks like min shipping is $10 for 1 set, it's $12 shipping for 2 sets and $15 total for 3 sets.

what additional metal hardware do i need? can i not use the existing stuff on the rifle?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
If yours was sold here it already has the copliant parts. If you replace the stock set
with a foreign one and the guy that built it used an american one you might need to
rethink. The gun needs (6) 922r compliant amaerican parts on it as per the ATF to make
it a legal "ameircan" gun. The reciever and stocks are one set of those parts.
Stupid law, but there it is. Most people replace the trigger assy, pistol grip and
a couple of other parts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why do i have to have a certain number of american made parts?

because if you dont you will be commiting a felony. google "ak us made compliance parts 922(r)" and you should be able to find adequate explanations

the side folding stock is a tapco, which i have read alot of members do not like. i like it. it's an american part.

I tried it out, I didnt personally like the way it felt enough to even try shooting with it, but thats just me, everybody is different

it says on the side it was made in romania, imported to virginia... so i would assume it is already all legal, no?

you'll understand when you do your homework

where do you think the members(whom i posted their guns) got their "furniture"?

K-var, gunsamerica, vendors who ad in shotgun news. the shotgun news is awesome, go get one from a mag rack at a bookstore or walmart, its a sales publication kind of like CARTRADER, etc. If you cant find a vendor with something you want advertised, call vendors that have similar stuff. If you still cant find something you like, it probably either doesnt exist or is ultra-rare. If you find something, ask the guys on here about it before you buy it, some people sell some questionable shit, and you dont want to learn that the way I did.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
augh! the dreaded "clip"!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For starters, you can get rid of the crappy looking laminate wod furniture and get some better quality hardwood furniture; maybe sand it and put some oil in it to darken the wood and give a nice smooth feel to it:

Something like this, from your friendly comrades at K-Var.

Second, get rid of that TAPCO looking plastic folding stock and get a Romanian METAL side folding stock

Gunbroker has one on auction.

Then get some Bulgarian "Waffle" style magazines, or at least some of the Russian Bakelite ones.

Like these:

or these.

And finally, to round up the project; top it off with an original AK-47 bayonet:

Just to piss the gun grabbers off.

All the items shown can be found on gunbroker or K-Var.com. Have fun.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top