Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2005 9:06:22 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I got a WASR 10 and i'm trying to sight it in. No matter what I do I cant move the front site windage cyclinder. I have tried the dowel method, I bought a tapco AK sight tool, its now bent and still no dice. I used break free as well as PB penetrating spray (which i use on my cars to loosen rusty bolts) and this thing wont budge. Any Ideas??
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If you look at the front sight you can see the witness mark left by special chisel type tool used at the factory when the rifle was sighted in. It displaces metal on the front sight base and front sight adjusting block. It also bends the front sight adjusting block ever so slightly and this makes it really,really tight in  the front sight base.
A brass punch or a fired 22LR case slipped on the end of a steel 3/16" punch will be needed. Lay the rifle on a bench and put a piece of 2"x4" under the front sight then whop the hell out of the punch with a hammer to get it to move. But once you get it to move then it won't take much force from the hammer on the punch to move the adjusting block where you need it to be.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the delay in posting, but I wanted to say Thanks to you, JA545. I used a rubber mallet and put the FSB on a 2x4 and she finally broke loose. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I got a WASR 10 and i'm trying to sight it in. No matter what I do I cant move the front site windage cyclinder. I have tried the dowel method, I bought a tapco AK sight tool, its now bent and still no dice. I used break free as well as PB penetrating spray (which i use on my cars to loosen rusty bolts) and this thing wont budge. Any Ideas??

First off - that Tapco site tool is junk.  I know, mine bent to heck too.  They offer a lifetime guarantee so send it back and get your money - DO IT, that's the only way they stop selling that junk.

As for moving the windage - Chisel punch and a BFH works.  yep Big F'ing Hammer.  You want to properly lay gun and the front sight block down before hitting it,otherwise you might bend the $hit out of eventhing.  just make sure that you have the gun properly support on wood wedges (cut pieces of 2 by 4 wood or 1x2s.    when you hammer the punch, you don't want the force to go anywhere but into the windage pin.  If the gun jumps, you haven't got it properly supported.

my two cents worth.  
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top