Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 1:24:45 PM EDT
I can get my bolt on my sar 1 to stay open if i pull the bolt all the way back and then depres the trigger. Is this sposed to happen or am i creating unnessacary wear on my weapon. It makes my time at the range a bit easier, so i hope its sposed to happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The same thing happens on my WASR-10.  The dealer where i bought the gun showed me how to do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys, just remember this, don't trust the bolt to stay open. A slight jar will normaly slam it home.
These aren't BHO rifles & can & will cause great harm if relied upon. Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The internal part your bolt carrier is resting on was not designed as a stop. It is just coinsidence. VERY!! unsafe if you have a loaded mag in rifle. I only use it occassionaly at a controlled range, where they require you to have an open chamber during cease fire, or when i'm goofin around at home "Unloaded"....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all, Ill only do it with no mag in then, and only when I have to. Maby i should give blackjack a call...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it is supposed to happen but.....What is happening is you pull the trigger and it releases the hammer. The hammer pushes up on the bottom of the bolt carrier so only the pressure exserted by the hammer spring is holding the bolt carrier back. Jar or bump the rifle and this will allow the recoil spring to over come the pressure of the hammer holding the bolt carrier. It will slam shut! You don't have to touch the rifle for it to slam shut as very little vibration will cause it to slam shut. Like the vibration of a truck coming down the street,someone walking by, or running a brush or patch down the bore while cleaning the rifle.

Nice trick but DO NOT depend on it to hold the bolt open.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The best bolt hold open I've found is a spent cartridge.

Insert the mouth of the cartridge between the gas piston and the top of the chamber. It'll look like a "stovepipe" jam. The main spring will push the piston forward jamming the cart. against the top of the barrel and receiver. This is what I do if I only want to wipe the barrel out after shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad idea.  Just get a chamber flag.  As your hammer and bolt carrier wear in that will eventually cease to work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
With the OEM Romanian trigger group my Romak2 (5.45 hi-cap thumbhole sporter) would do this easily.  To release the bolt you had to pull the handle back & let fly.  Otherwise it was fairly secure.  Since I've changed over to the double hook G2 US trigger group it will occasionally hold back if I just cycle the bolt very slowly (no need to pull trigger) but a slight bump sends the bolt flying home.  But it's still new & not broken in it.  Pulling the trigger with the bolt back is pretty much the same, a slight bump & it closes.  Comparing the 2 FCGs the G2 hammer is rounded at the back while the Romanian has a more angled rear.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top