Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 3:03:09 AM EDT
Can you guys let me know the company and color of the stains you used and maybe post a pic also. I have a WASR-10 with a bare stock and I want it darker but also want a sealer on the wood. I went to clean the gun for the first time and had to be realy careful not to sling the rifle with cleaner. I am shooting with the idea of a redish tint not to dark of stain but any examples will work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nastycobra,

The color is a personal thing. I've done dark walnut, light maple, medium red, etc. I use minwax stains available most anywhere, got mine at Walmart. Just follow traditional wood refinishing rules & it'll turn out great. Final finish is also a personal thing. I like hi gloss, but semi gloss & just plain dull are available also. I also use minwax poly for that. Hope this has been of some help.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys are helping me out but I would still like to get some photos. I dont something dark but I like the red tint.

Keeo em posting guys.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
220 grit sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool.
Minwax Red Oak followed by Minwax spray on satin finish polyurethane.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is mine:

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I sanded the laminated stocks on my SAR1 with 100 grit paper. Used 000 steel wool between coats of tung oil (3). I applied Tru-Test Enrich brand Cherrywood stain (PE-10) two or three times. Should have a pic in the photo thread.

Had a hard-drive melt down last weekend so I don't have any pics of the rifle on the 'puter right now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Mahogony finish followed up by 11 coats of tung oil, follow directions to the fullest on the can
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
only picture I have...

Minwax natural cherry gel stain with a satin poly finish. Allowed to  cure for one month before final sanding /waxing process.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Stripped with a cheap stripper from wal-mart, then sanded with fine grit paper... then steel wool'd to smooth it out.... then applied Birchwood Casey Tru-oil.  She's SWEET.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, the mag in that AK is not inserted properly...it's not even dangerous like that...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I just did a SAR2 in red mahogany and satin poly came out freakin sweet!!!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top