BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2003 12:12:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Russian military ammo is corrosive, so there was a military need to make the bolt carriers chrome.

Looks are not imprtant, funtion is. Its an AK after all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs to last, not look good...  See above argument about AK
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
This poll isn't about function.  I'm just curious as to which look is preferred.  Are all bolt carriers chromed?

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the tacked thread above about posting pictures of your AK.

There are some in there with out chromed bolt carriers.

As for look, I really could care less, but if I had to pick I would say chromed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
blued, blued, blued, the way it was intended to
be. Historically correct. IF we want them to look pretty, why not chrome the receiver and barrel?  What soldier would want to give his position away with a shinny bolt that could reflect light? My 2cents worth.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
  What soldier would want to give his position away with a shinny bolt that could reflect light? My 2cents worth.

The chrome is dull, not shiney, it would not reflect light and give away your position.

This would be a total non-issue in combat.  If you are close enough to make out the enemies bolt carrier, you need to be doing other things.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was shiny on my MISR S/A, but now that I have two new Romanians, and their blued, I kinda like it that way now. Looks more "tactical"...:)
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top