Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 1:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackalAR]
The AKOU 10k vid convinced me that I needed to replace the blond set on my 2016 WASR 10. I'm torn between a good non-glossy, brown'ish laminate set or black/OD composite. I read that the Polish laminates are less prone to splitting or melting but that reproduction pieces are sub par. I am also lost as far as to which composite kits are "best". Are replacement stock screws required/advisable? Could I get a recommendation on these too?

Rob also mentioned some extractor claw issue? Is this a random issue or common? What is a good replacement part? I only put 1 polish mag down range and had 2 issues. IIRC a double feed and a stove pipe.

Thx!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762russian] [#1]
I bought a 2017(ish) Wasr10 from Atlantic and currently replacing the furniture due to reports of the wood being cheap and splitting especially on the stock.

I tried placing an order with russtock.com, for a new set of russian laminate akm handguards but, due to the Corona virus they are shutdown. And not shipping any products anytime soon.

I would point you in the direction getting russian laminate or romanian surplus laminate stock sets. Be careful because I noticed lots of online dealers are pushing tawain akm laminate sets, which are probably cheaper quality than your current stock set.

Lee's Magazines has surplus laminate romanian handguards but no stocks. 14.99 for the handguards.

Apex currently has a complete stock set for 189.
"Russian AKM Wood Stock Set, With Izhevsk Pistol Grip, *Very Good*"

I would probably just buy the apex stock set, and be done with. Instead of tracking down individual pieces from various vendors.

Definitely get some new or surplus AKM screws to replace your current ones. The ones on my wasr10 are incorrect screws for securing the stock.

As for the extractor issues, Apex has polish extractors for the akm for 15. I would buy a few.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank ya sir!

I saw a new Russian laminate set on the EE for $200, but I decided to go with the OD Green poly set from Arsenal, more my style I guess. That seems like a bargain on the handguards though!

I got them for less than K-VAR is selling them for, plus 5% off from Shooters Surplus, an arfcom industry partner. I discovered the crappy Tapco polymer pistol grip retainer nut when removing the furniture after placing the order, so Jason with SS kindly gave me $15 store credit to cover the part plus shipping!

I looked more into the extractor issue, seems to be intermittent with 2014+ WASRs. I THINK mine might actually be from 2015 after checking the trunion stamping. I will take it to the range with 200 rounds and see how it does I guess before swapping it out since it LOOKS to be fine. Who is Alex though if I want to get a replacement? SS has Bulgarian and E. German extractors for $8-14 IIRC, but out of stock right now and $10 shipping on top. Do you know if they are all just sub par quality and should be replaced regardless?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top