Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 4:26:44 PM EDT
So where exactly does the MAK-90 fit in to the grand scheme of AK's ?
I've got a Norinco I bought back Pre Clinton Brand new in the box.
I had a guy offer me about $500 a year ago for it but I wasn't interesed in selling it.

It's a great shooting rifle. Beautiful furniture just a few small scratches whe the sling attaches to the front.

Edited for lousy spelling....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I looked under the Chinese Ak guide and didn't see it.
I guess I was just wondering if there was any significance to the name MAK-90.

Didn't know how it differed from other AK's.
Was it just because of the stock ?

And I have thought about making some changes to it but just not sure.
Here's a pic of it with my wasr..
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
As you may or may not know AK rifles with pistol grips,bayonet mounts,folding stocks,etc... were banned from import in July 1989. The above features were removed from some Chinese AK rifles and they were restamped MAK-90 = Modified AK-model of 1990.
Click on the link for the "Chinese Rifles" rifles page of my web pages for info.
mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/index.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks JA545,
That site cleared it all up.
The one I have is a stamped receiver, it has the Norinco gear/star stamp, Interstate Arms Billerica MA looks like electro pencilled in to the back of the receiver, with made in china stamped under that.
It has a real slick finish to the receiver, not any rough surface areas or grind marks I can find at all. It has always been a really accurate rifle.

Thanks for the link with the info.

w50g
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#5]
wolf50guy,
Could you email me some pics of the markings on your MAK-90 for use on my web page?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Sure will.
I'll try to get them to you tonight.
Send me an email and I'll email the pics to you.
Got an L1A1to put back together after I camo'd it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
This thread caught my interest. I have a Norinco, marked 56S1, that has a thumbhole stock
attached, but underneath the thumbhole, the holes for the underfolder are still open, not rivetted
shut. Also, the barrel threads are still intact, with just a threaded sleeve over them. The bayo lug
was ground off as well.

What parts do I need to swap out so that I can put an underfolding stock (who makes one), and one
of those evil bullet-hosing flash suppressors on it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
All you have to do is install a Chinese underfolding stock,pistol grip, and cut the tang off the rear of the receiver that is used to attach the thumbhole stock. Finding a Chinese underfolding stock is going to be hard as import of all Chinese guns,gun parts,and ammo was banned in April,1994. You will have to add 5 US mfg. parts to add another stock besides a thumbhole one. The muzzle nut can be removed and a muzzle brake or flash supperssor added. The spring loaded muzzle brake retaining pin should be in the front of the front sight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Since I 922r'ed my MAK (G2 H/T/S, US gas piston, Tapco SAW pistol grip) and added a Romy sidefolder, it's become my favorite rifle. Shoots well and the sidefolder is even fairly comfortable. Bought it on '91 or '92 for the grand total of $200.00 because it had a pretty good coat of exterior rust and the gunshop didn't want to mess with it. 10-15 hrs with 0000 steel wool and Break-Free cleaned it right up! Now, all Ihave to do is get it refinished. The bluing rusts REAL quick for me. I don't think it's because of the rust that was there when I bought it, my then-NIB, cosmo-coated Para SKS rusts real quick for me, too, if not religiously wiped down immediately after handling. I'd like paint-over-park for durability. Then it will be perfect! I LOVE my MAK!

Bub
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive always liked the Mak 90's. I just bought a NHM91, which is really just a long barreled Mak 90. The quality of the Chinese weapons is better them most of the AKM style weapons currently being imported. The blueing is nice, I like the chromed Bolt and carrier, and I also like the 47 style front sight, top cover, gas tube, ect. I think Mak 90s are true keepers, especially with a nice 922 retrofit. Im having alot of fun turning my 1993 NHM91 into a RPK.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The Chinese didn't chrome the bolt or bolt carriers. They are in the white/plain/unfinished steel the only thing done to them is they are polished.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought my mak90 in June 95 for $230.  I love that gun, even with it's thumbhole stock.  I need to look into this whole 922 thing and see just what that is.  So far my best (and only) mod was rounding some of the grip with a file.  Once I got rid of those square-ish edges it felt like a whole new gun.  It made it way more comfortable for long range target shooting.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a MAK-90 and I'm just waiting for Ironwood to make some more stocks
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top