Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2008 8:10:09 AM EDT
I am looking at a AMD-65 of a friend of mine to figure out why it keeps jamming. It fails to eject, stove piping on about every 5 shot. I haven't shot it yet but I stripped it down and found that the gas piston is loose a hell in the bolt carrier. There is about a 1/16" gap between the two and it looks like it is pinned in. I don't know if this is part of the problem but there is about an 1/8" play up and down on it. My old SAR is tight almost looking like one piece. Anyone else see any like this?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Its normal for AKs to have some play or wiggle obetween the gas piston and the bcg. Doubtful that is the problem with your friends AK.

Is there a buffer of some sort on this AK? I had a buffer on one of mine and it started doing what you describe, so I took it off and all is well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No buffer. I pressed the pin out of the piston and screwed it down tight. I think I am just going to put some high strength tread lock on it instead of drilling it and pinning again. When I get home I am going to compair the piece that kicks the shell out to the one I have in mine. The ejector spring feels strong on this one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Took it out over the weekend and shot it. It is not really stove piping, the empty casing is getting caught between the bolt and the face of the barrel inline. It is actually bending the neck of the empty shell inward as it slams back on the edge of the barrel. Any ideas? When I work the handle by hand they kick out fine no matter how fast I work it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it still doing this on every 5th shot or so?  It really seems odd.

It could be that the ejector needs a quick touch of a file on it in case it has a "hooklike" corner to it. This might be causing rounds not to pop out of the way and could serve to keep them in the chamber area too long causing them to get caught when the bolt comes forward with the next round.

Maybe a very slight rounding of the corner of the ejector might help, but go very slowly on any filing you do. ONly one or two light strokes then check it out.

Only other thing I can think of is that the recoil spring is too light. Maybe it bottoms out too quick not allowing enough time for the empty to get out of the way before the bolt hits the back and then goes forward again.

Anybody else got any ideas on this type of a problem?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the gas piston back in its original position...its suppose to by sloppy thats why they work....if its a new unused kit...give it some time to break in.  Change mags..the one you are using may be f'd up.  Make sure their is no burs on the bolt carrier slides in the receiver.....spring may be too stiff so the bolt is not cycling all the way under the gas operated pressure (you can pull it back and it fuctions..if any issues with the rails the gas may not be enough) hanging up on a bur.....mag plate follower is sticking...either way the piston is NOT the problem.  Ive edited this twic and still see spelling arrors....Im drunk...Im not sorry.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#6]
He has ran about 200 rounds through it and no change. He ended up taking it back to the dealer he got it from. The Dealer said the same thing, "you might have to run a few hundred rounds through it" " Those jamming AK's". The last statement told me he didn't know what he was talking about. My SAR has never, ever jammed even with my bump firing put off cleaning ways.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top