Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:43 AM EDT
Purchased a clean WASR10.  Straight FSB, little mag wobble, smooth action.  Cleaned off the gallons of cosmo, put on light coat of CLP and took her to the range.  Upon firing there is a perceptive delay in the operation.  
Bang......ka-chuga, bang......ka-chuga.  
Broke the rifle down, everything looked in order.
Rifle is suprizingly accurate, probably due to the slow unlocking time.
Finished 100rds without incident.

What would cause this?  The action is slow enough that I could out run the rifle if I really got on the trigger.  Run the risk of out of battery fire?  

So, could this be an issue?  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that almost sounds as if there is a bunch of cosmo in the gas tube somewhere that you did not see
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I cleaned the hello out of new AK just took it to the range and it still bled cosmoline.  That stuff is like its alive and moves everywhere lol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Did a full strip, carrier, bolt, gas tube and handguards just to get all the cosmo out.  Lightly lubed the carrier, bolt, receiver rails, hammer and disconnecter (all bearing surfaces).  Did not run anything through the gas port and down through the barrel, however.  
I'll try a patch through there and see what comes out.  
Cosmoline was everywhere, but mostly in the receiver and especially heavy in the carrier's recoil spring "hole."
Thanks fellas.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did a full strip, carrier, bolt, gas tube and handguards just to get all the cosmo out.  Lightly lubed the carrier, bolt, receiver rails, hammer and disconnecter (all bearing surfaces).  Did not run anything through the gas port and down through the barrel, however.  
I'll try a patch through there and see what comes out.  
Cosmoline was everywhere, but mostly in the receiver and especially heavy in the carrier's recoil spring "hole."
Thanks fellas.  

this is a biggie, tripple clean this hole (and more) and the spring.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My WASR 2 was acting up as well.  It would even hold the bolt open at times, and be very hard to close.  It would jam upon firing.  The culprit turned out to be the bottom of the bolt carrier...the rail that cocks the hammer upon crossing over it.  It was not level when looking at it and was canted to one side.  You could see rub marks on only one side of it, and the hammer.  I squared it up gently with a file, and polished it with a felt dremmil drum, and the G2 hammer as well.  Ran 200 rounds through it today without a hitch.

GHILLIE
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Check to see if the bolt carrier is binding on something.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, used a Q-tip through the gas port - all dry.  
Nothing binds when the action is cycled by hand.  
I stripped down a AMD65 to compare to, asside from the piston length, visually everything is the same.  
Will try to swab out the recoil spring hole tonight.  

For reference:  Used Wolf 122gr FMJ and 124gr HP, all ejected 2:00 and about 10-15 feet.  

The delay in operation is only in milli-seconds, but it's still perceptively slow.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
i would like to know as well. is it really possible to outrun the rifle on its trigger and if so what happens? how can i check that my ak wont do this? i never really shoot fast enough to find out but surely would not want to find out the hard way either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Compared to my AMD65, the WASR is definatly slower.  It feeds, fires and ejects like its supposed to, and is more accurate than the AMD, so as long as I'm not being overrun by the zombie hords, its fine.  

I'll try to borrow a video camera next time I go out.  

To anyone who has fired a Benelli M1; it's similar, but still slower.  You get the intial recoil from firing, then you feel the thrust of the bolt and carrier move back and forth.  On the AMD this cycle is so fast there is no perception of each stage of operation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Compared to my AMD65, the WASR is definatly slower.  It feeds, fires and ejects like its supposed to, and is more accurate than the AMD, so as long as I'm not being overrun by the zombie hords, its fine.  

I'll try to borrow a video camera next time I go out.  

To anyone who has fired a Benelli M1; it's similar, but still slower.  You get the intial recoil from firing, then you feel the thrust of the bolt and carrier move back and forth.  On the AMD this cycle is so fast there is no perception of each stage of operation.

Put some more rounds through it, just needs to break in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]

I would see if different ammo yields the same results.

Maybe the rifle is ok, ammo is bad?

Just a guess.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top