Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
A local dealer has a NIB Mak 90. He has $400 on the tag but told me I could have it for $350. Should I buy it?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A local dealer has a NIB Mak 90. He has $400 on the tag but told me I could have it for $350. Should I buy it?  

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
for shure
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy it for $350.00
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
No bayonet lug, no threaded barrel, slant cut receiver (hard to find stocks to fit)...  I'd pass.  

But, I've already got a pre-89 Norinco AKM-47S.  If you didn't already have an AK, and $300-400 was your price range, you couldn't do much better.  

You can always thread the barrel later on, and switch the FSB for one with a bayonet lug later.  As for the slant cut, you can't fix that.  I just wanted to add something more to this thread than just another "buy it!"  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, I'm missing where it said it was a slant cut?  Even if it is a slant cut, the ironwooddesigns stock set are $88-$102 dollars depending on which stock set you get.  If you use 2 mag compliance parts in the mags you will be using in the rifle you can get it completed for about $122.00 additional.

$350.00 + $112.00(at the most)  $462.00 max for a milled slant cut Mak 90.  Actually depending on if it is stamped and straight back receiver you could get by with a cheaper ironwood stockset.  $450.00 total.

If it is a stamped receiver I believe you can get a Ironwood Designs stock set from Volunter Ordnance Works for $60.00, $20.00 for plenty of US mag followers and baseplates and you have all of your compliance parts.  

Total price $430.00.  

For a different point of view, go ask the same question over at The AK Forum I believe the majority will give you the opinion that it is a good deal.  You aren't going to find too many NIB AK's of any kind at that price.  It is better deal than a Romanian rifle at that price.  NIB SAR's go for over $400.00 now, they originally sold for $289.00 or so.

Bachelor_of_Science is a dealer, I would take his advise on the value of a rifle when he is not even the one selling it and standing to gain on the deal.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK, I'm missing where it said it was a slant cut?  Even if it is a slant cut, the ironwooddesigns stock set are $88-$102 dollars depending on which stock set you get.  If you use 2 mag compliance parts in the mags you will be using in the rifle you can get it completed for about $122.00 additional.

$350.00 + $112.00(at the most)  $462.00 max for a milled slant cut Mak 90.  Actually depending on if it is stamped and straight back receiver you could get by with a cheaper ironwood stockset.  $450.00 total.

If it is a stamped receiver I believe you can get a Ironwood Designs stock set from Volunter Ordnance Works for $60.00, $20.00 for plenty of US mag followers and baseplates and you have all of your compliance parts.  

Total price $430.00.  

For a different point of view, go ask the same question over at The AK Forum I believe the majority will give you the opinion that it is a good deal.  You aren't going to find too many NIB AK's of any kind at that price.  It is better deal than a Romanian rifle at that price.  NIB SAR's go for over $400.00 now, they originally sold for $289.00 or so.

Bachelor_of_Science is a dealer, I would take his advise on the value of a rifle when he is not even the one selling it and standing to gain on the deal.  

I didn't say it wasn't a good deal, just a good deal I'd gladly pass up.  I don't like Mak-90s.  I think I was pretty clear that it was both a good deal, and an excellent rifle (for what it is.)  

I inferred the slant cut receiver, as most are.  You're correct, not all Mak-90s have slant cut receivers.  

Oh, and I wouldn't buy a SAR at a "good price" either.  To get me to buy a neutered AK, you'd have to just about give it to me.  I like evil features WAY too much to go back...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I just thought I was missing something.  I put a Chinese buttstock on mine, refinished it and the original handguards, got a pistol grip, put in a double hook G2 FCG I got a couple of years ago from Tapco for $30.00, replaced the piston with a US one from Tapco when they were $15.00, and US baseplates on the mags.  

I have an AK with a bayonet mount. But I'd look funny running around with the bayonet mounted.  Any of my rifles are for sale at any time for the right price, I'll buy any rifle at the my right price.  A $350.00 MAK-90 will never be cheaper, unless it's like the guy last year that found one at an auction for $89.00 and knew nothing about what he had.  It was illegally converted to pisto grip (no compliance parts) so he stripped the wood off and sold it for something like $289.00 a couple of months later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Bayo lugs are over rated.Are you really going to run around with it on?The barrel can always be made to accept a FH.And as stated before you can buy stocks for a slant cut they are just alittle more $.

I say buy it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top