Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 7:14:00 AM EDT
This may have been covered before, but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

How many parts are there on the AK/RPK rifles? 16?
What is the reg on the # of US parts required?
My Vepr came with a Russian hammer, so there are only 5 US parts not counting the magazine stuff.

I swapped in a Tapco G2 which adds 1 extra US part.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This may have been covered before, but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

How many parts are there on the AK/RPK rifles? 16?
What is the reg on the # of US parts required?
My Vepr came with a Russian hammer, so there are only 5 US parts not counting the magazine stuff.

I swapped in a Tapco G2 which adds 1 extra US part.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

On a typical milled recevier rifle you need to replace 4 parts with no muzzle attachment and 5 parts with a muzzle attachment, because there isn't a barrel trunion, it is part of the receiver.

When building an AK pistol, these regulations do not apply. You can not have a stock or forward pistol grip on a pistol.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

ATF.GOV  PDF page 13
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]
ATF letters

Kind of dated.  The end of the Clinton gun ban negates the prohibitions on building the rifle with flashhiders, threaded barrels, folding stocks, etc...as long as parts compliance is met.

www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-factsheet.pdf

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!

It looks like the Tapco G2 I have gives me an extra US part (USA Hammer). If only someone in the US can make a quality AK mag... then we'd have 3 extra US parts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks!

It looks like the Tapco G2 I have gives me an extra US part (USA Hammer). If only someone in the US can make a quality AK mag... then we'd have 3 extra US parts.

The G2 gives you 3 compliance parts: Hammer, trigger, and disconnector.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks!

The G2 gives you 3 compliance parts: Hammer, trigger, and disconnector.

Robinson gives you a Russian hammer. The Tapco G2 adds 1 more US part, the US Hammer.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top