Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:48:35 PM EDT
I was reading some other posts of problems with the sears and triggers on orf  built 1919s, well seeing I just dropped 1,200.00 to get a used  one, I wanted a honest opinion on them, I Know Mr.Grove reads these boards so Im not looking for attacks against them just some experiences with them, And I know this is the AK section, but this is where the people I trust seem to hang in.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was reading some other posts of problems with the sears and triggers on orf  built 1919s, well seeing I just dropped 1,200.00 to get a used  one, I wanted a honest opinion on them, I Know Mr.Grove reads these boards so Im not looking for attacks against them just some experiences with them, And I know this is the AK section, but this is where the people I trust seem to hang in.

I have one...I like it very much...The trigger is two pieces welded together. I think its the original and a new piece. For $120 you can upgrade to a KMP.

1919 owners who paid $1500-$3000 are very snobby about the ORF guns. Most of what they say you have to take with a grain of salt. I think alot of them are sore that they paid that much and then ORF dicovered ways to make the process more efficient and cost effective. If something goes wrong with your gun, Call ORF and they will send you a new part. ORF's customer service and track record is what sets them apart. They could spend an extra 15 hours on each 1919 and make them absolutely perfect, but then I wouldn't have been able to afford one.

Where in GA are you at..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Warner Robins, Yeah, thats kinda what I thought, some spend more on their tripod than I have in on the whole gun, as long as it goes bang pretty regularily Ill be happy, I hear they are finicky from the start anyway, I Know Ill be happy
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You could also build one yourself....

Here is how my costs broke down:

1919 Parts kit w/shipping                  $311.00
Machine internals / KMP trigger/sear   $200.00
Right side plate 80%                        $95.00
Rivit set                                         $25.00
Pintle, bushing, Replica Tripod            $235.00
T+E                                              $125.00
1000 links                                       $70.00
                                                -----------
TOTAL Doing it yourself                  ~$961.00

You might be able to save on a few things here, but ive shopped
around for the best deals on the parts and services.
Also having a good friend with the equipment to assemble and park the thing
helps too.
Food for gun thought.

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget to convert to 8mm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have one. I have ran about 500 rnds through it without a hiccup. I really like it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My ORF 1919 took a few hundred rounds to break it in and make it run smoothly and consistantly. Ive had very few if any problems since. I just clean it and lube it and it runs like a champ. I know another guy that had quite a few problems, but eventually smoothed it all out. Overall, Im very happy with the ORF. Some people also have complained about a problem with rust around some of the rivets because of something to do with the parkerizing process. I have not had this problem. Check out www.1919a4.com for lots more info and stuff about this gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been doing my own parkerizing....I think that red staining is due to using red abrasive media for sandblasting which get caught in every nook and cranny...I ahve a polish UF that I did that has the same thing....I cleaned it , blasted it and parked it....The 1919 crowd tends to be whinier than the AK boys in my experience
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where?

Check here:
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Misc/50cal%20Part%20Set.htm

The good condition ones are listed at $299.99

My shipping was less because we split 2 kits and the shipping when we ordered them.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i have an ORF ak rifle. i was not impressed with the build quality. not horrible or anything, but not what i expected based on some other people's reviews.

i dont know about their 1919 stuff
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You could also build one yourself....

Here is how my costs broke down:

Machine internals / KMP trigger/sear   $200.00
Right side plate 80%                        $95.00
Rivit set                                         $25.00
Pintle, bushing, Replica Tripod            $235.00
T+E                                              $125.00
1000 links                                       $70.00
                                                -----------
TOTAL Doing it yourself                  ~$961.00

You might be able to save on a few things here, but ive shopped
around for the best deals on the parts and services.
Also having a good friend with the equipment to assemble and park the thing
helps too.
Food for gun thought.

KyARGuy

~$991 not counting links
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I stand corected...

It was $991.00 with out the links...

I was just trying to show that you could do one for ~ $1000 for the whole show.
I really wanted a SBR 5.45 Krink but when the prices of the kits went ballistic,
i decided on the 1919 instead.  Better $$ per lb. return rate too!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Most all 1919a4's will need some tweeking to get them to run smoothly.. even the ORF ones..
alot of problems come from owners not knowing how these guns function.. and do not set their headspacing for the ammo they are using.. just a click of the barrel will cause the gun to run sluggish or break ammo cases.. ,, alot of people take them apart for cleaning and assemble them wrong..   ect ect...

Todd needs to use the KMP trigger in their guns, their design and return spring are superior than the ones that comes in the guns..  

Lets keep in mind that these are surplused machine guns converted to semi use.. we need to expect some problems with them as they were never designed to be a semi gun..
all the problems the guns have no matter who built them can be fixed ...

As far as prices.. i built mine for less than $750  tripod and all......

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I was looking to buy, rather than build myself not too long ago.  I was looking at overall value in case I ever wish to sell it, homebuilt vs commercail, etc. ORF's are inexpensive but there are a few things I did not like about them.  They crank them out rather quickly so I haven;t seen one lately that didn't have problems with the parkerizing.  The ones I've seen also had external welds showing to meet the BATF semi requirements.  After looking around, I decided to purchase an Allied Armament.  Really nice parkerizing job, really smooth action, overall, a very nice firearm.  They list one on Gunbroker everyweek and I bought mine for $1100.00.  Another excellent gun is turned out by a guy named McQuire.  The ones I've seen are second to none and his run around the same as what I paid for mine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I like beaten looking guns, so rust or other minor things just add charecter to me, I might just drop a kmp thingee into it, but I will give a honest review when I get it.  Plus pics
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where?

Check here:
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Misc/50cal%20Part%20Set.htm

The good condition ones are listed at $299.99

My shipping was less because we split 2 kits and the shipping when we ordered them.

KyARGuy

So how was the kit condition?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top